System Locks up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Locks up

I have a shuttle FX41 with 40Gb WD Caviar HD and a Mastero 4.5 supply.

When the computer is on the bench powered by a car battery I have no problems. Mounted in the car, the system locks up just a few minutes after start up. Touch screen stops, music stops and C/A/D does nothing.
    I rotated the system 90 deg to see if it was alignment. Nope.
    Mounted the system on rubber sponges to "cushion" any bumps and it still does it.
    I brought it in after a 2 hour trip with no music and the system starts and runs perfectly.
    I leave for a 14 hour trip in a few days, I'd like to work this out guys!
    1981 VW Scirocco, 2L 16v turbo. EEEPC 1000 running Mega Squirt and music.
    Http://www.menloparkrandd.com/scirocco

<standard response based on a very expensive personal experience>
    Check yer RAM
    </standard response based on a very expensive personal experience>
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Ran the test for 3 passes. No fault in the ram.
      Have any links for HD tests apart from Scandisk?
      I have included the PSU and hard drive with in the Shuttle case. The HD is secured in a U shaped tray with mount ears on the front and a leg at the back that screws into the chassis for support.
      My car is a MKI VW scirocco with sport springs and lowering struts. Its a harder ride so... My brother nad I thought that the heads of the disk might be being jarred and losing refrence.
      Sound reasonable?

<edit>
      Running on the bench I realyy banged the system around. Dropping it from 6" and it was perfect. All I can think of now is the power supply. Time to get rougher

Comment

How's your ventilation? Next to problems with RAM, problem with heat come to mind, especially since you are not having any problems on a bench.

BTW, when you are powering it on the bench, are you using a standard ATX power supply instead of the Mastero, or are you powering the mastero with a benchtop 12v supply?
        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
        I'M DEBT FREE!!
        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I have a 400w ATX supply as well as a 280 CCA 12v battery with battery charger.
          As for cooling, I have a high volume fan on the front of the modded case as well as a fan on the rear. Its a straight through flow.
          Tomorrow I am going to put the O'scope on the supply and try loading and abusing the supply. The MK4.5 has a split 12v supply which I joined with 2 inductors to balance the load. I am wondering if that might be the problem.

Comment

It's a voltage problem. When the +5 or +12V drops (brown out) the computer will hang. Sometimes it can come back if u let it sit while the drive resets.
            Check out my SQ Competition carputer install

Comment

The MK4.5 has a split 12v rail. If it is not joined correctly then the loads are not equal and the system will not start. I used a pair of hand made chokes to balance the loads. The hard drive was OUT SIDE this load balancing.
              Corrected and the system ran fine!
              Now to take the car out on the thruway to test it

Comment

Working...
              X