anyone have a car pc in minnesota or same climate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have a car pc in minnesota or same climate

anyone live in minnesota or similar climate?

how has your car pc handled the extremes? i know nothing wants to work to well outside when its -30F or 90F

there are guys here from sweeden ... they seem to do ok.
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Its also gonna depend on other vairables such as install location, cooling equip, insulation, etc. etc.
      Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
      Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
      I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
      Please help.

Comment

I live in coon rapids, and took many trips to the Iron Rnage during the winter.

LCD - faired fine but didn't like to turn on sometimes
        HD - Didn't like to spin up right away, but that was with a 60W PSU, I now use a 90W so maybe that will fix it.

Other than that things worked fine. I'm finding more issues with the heat than cold right now. I have 3 case fans right now and it still get really hot.
        Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Haven't had a problem. Although, I let the car warm up for a bit first. If I'm shivering, I'm too cold to enjoy music! LCD is a bit dim when it's below freezing, but that goes away quickly as I have it positioned near a vent. HDD = no problems.

Warm weather, otoh, has caused my (1st gen) computer to crash on long drives down to Mankato (2hrs). Easily solved by turning on the A/C.

So, just use common sense. If it's too cold/hot for you or your car, then it's too cold/hot for your computer. Start the engine and wait a couple minutes for things to moderate.
          http://www.jeepmp3.com/
          CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
          Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Oh - thinking about having a meet early next month. Check the Gatherings thread if you're interested...

Comment

yeah i am prom mn and its been ok for me

Comment

lcd is a bit dim at first but no other problems. like neon_eddy said, heat is more of an issue.
                System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

Minnesota Climate

Mine works fine from Duluth,Mn to Iron Range. But I have a garage for wintertime.
                  Eipa VIA MII 12000,160 gig HD,265 Ram,Tview 7.5inch Touchscreen,Holux 210 GPS USB,Mappoint 2005,RoadRunner,Motorola Wifi G,

Comment

I had terrible trouble last winter

Below 40F hard drive would keep clicking and pc would reboot about 3 times before it was warm enough to actually boot up.

Below 10F the hard drive would just click and it would not even boot past bios.

I took the fan off the board and wrapped hard drive up for winter worked ok until about 25F next year hope to have full box built and it should keep it jsut warm enough, as before it was sjut open air in trunk. it is also a 3.5" drive so 2.5 might work better in cold temps.
                    Toyota Prius w/ NAV system and a 30gb Ipod :)it never crashes and always boots up.

Comment

There was another thread on here a while back which alluded to problems with FDB hdd's (fluid dynamic bearings). They apparently freeze when it's cold enough. But most of the hdd's on this thread are newer (does this imply FDB) so perhaps certain models/manufacturers are more susseptible to extremely low temps...

Comment

Originally posted by neon_eddy
                        I live in coon rapids, and took many trips to the Iron Rnage during the winter.

LCD - faired fine but didn't like to turn on sometimes
                        HD - Didn't like to spin up right away, but that was with a 60W PSU, I now use a 90W so maybe that will fix it.

Other than that things worked fine. I'm finding more issues with the heat than cold right now. I have 3 case fans right now and it still get really hot.

From anoka-ramsey here. Perhaps I could take at your set up sometime?
                        Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

Originally posted by PURDooM
                          From anoka-ramsey here. Perhaps I could take at your set up sometime?
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51133

Comment

Itronix makes rugged laptops and tablets and I noticed that on their newest models, there is an option for a heated hard drive. It's something to look into.

SPARE HDD KIT, 80GB, WITH HEATER
                            Product: GoBook III
                            Category: Drives
                            This shock mounted ruggedized removable hard disk drive allows for added security, as well as storage. Users can share one laptop, but not data by having their own HDD. This HDD also features a heater.
                            Weight: No Weight Available
                            Part Number: 62-0364-002

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
                              There was another thread on here a while back which alluded to problems with FDB hdd's (fluid dynamic bearings). They apparently freeze when it's cold enough. But most of the hdd's on this thread are newer (does this imply FDB) so perhaps certain models/manufacturers are more susseptible to extremely low temps...

I may go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149025
                              TOSHIBA MK4026GAX 40GB 5400 RPM 16MB Cache Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
                              69 Bucks
                              * Model #: MK4026GAX

It is one of the only Toshibas I saw that does not specify that it comes with FDB.

I bought a Endurastar from Ebay, but it was Dead, and since it was not from an authorized reseller, I cannot get it replaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X