USB 2.0 or 1.1 devices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 2.0 or 1.1 devices?

How do you know what speed a USB device is using? I have the following devices I need to attach; GPS-mouse, touch controller, DVD-rom drive and an Audigy card. I guess the GPS and touch is 1.1 devices and will slow down everything at that hub, but how can I check for sure?

Im fairly sure that plugging a 1.1 device into a 2.0 hub does not slow down the bus. It will offer a connection to those devices at 12mbps max and the rest at 480mbps max
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

you can mix and match USB devices on USB2.0 and even if you had just a 1.1 port those should coexist, with a slight speed issue on the DVD drive, and maybe, the sound card

Comment

Originally posted by aoLhaTer
        Im fairly sure that plugging a 1.1 device into a 2.0 hub does not slow down the bus. It will offer a connection to those devices at 12mbps max and the rest at 480mbps max
        Originally posted by Hcomplyr
        you can mix and match USB devices on USB2.0 and even if you had just a 1.1 port those should coexist, with a slight speed issue on the DVD drive, and maybe, the sound card
        That's not exactly true. It depends on the type of hub you are using. The hubs that allow simultaneous USB 1.1 & 2.0 connections are called MultiTT hubs. They are hard to find and don't say it anywhere on the packaging.

Also, it depends on your USB controller. Some controllers don't allow mixing and matching different speed devices. So you have to connect 1.1 devices to one controller (a controller on your mobo typically has two USB plugs) and 2.0 devices to another controller.

I created a thread for this. Do a search under my name and you will find it. I included a link to a good article on THC about these types of hubs.

Comment

Working...
        X