Anyone found a cheesebox alternative?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone found a cheesebox alternative?

The cheesebox has been discontinued and cannot be found for purchase anywhere

If you dont know what it is, its a VGA switch box that has VGA in, composite in and VGA out
    Its useful for automatic video input switching between computer output and camera output

To get it working it doesnt have to be that exact model but the device has to have VGA in, composite or svideo in and VGA out. It then also has to have a non momentary switch for switching video inputs back and forth

Has anyone found an equivalent?

Thanks in advance
    2004 G35 Coupe project

i haven't heard of the cheesbox mentioned for a long time!

There are a few devices like that out so you can hook up your PS2/Xbox to a VGA screen. There are quite a few on egay and some of the PS2/Xbox peripheral companies sell them.

Comment

There really is a plethora of those type of devices on the market but for us to utilize one for auto switching it needs to have a non momentary switching mechanism where it can be hooked up to a relay (idealy a push on push off button)
      I was wondering if maybe someone had already happened upon one

What Ill probably do is head over to the electronics store and check out what they have and see if any have the switching mechanism for video input switching
      2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

yeah the auotswitching was bothing me too. But if you could find one with just buttons for each input or a slider then you could mod it. If it is like the screens with one button to cycle through inputs it is an arse. But you could do something to sense which intput is operational (eg if it has LED indicators) and keep pressing the button until it gets tot he right output.

One with just composite and VGA in would be perfeect as I don't need 2 RCA inputs.

Comment

Buttons for each input wouldnt be the ideal way
          Ideal would be a non momentary single pushbutton (which AFAIK the cheesebox has). The relay would close the loop on the pushbutton switch and when the relay released the loop would become open again and the video input would switch back

A slide switch would also work but I think youd then need a DPDT relay which would switch two things at a time (close one loop when coil is not powered and close the other loop when it is)
          2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

bear in mind, someone with some electronics skill could wire up a little circuit to interface with it, even if it is a momentary pushbutton, or whatever, so don't rule one out just because of that, because someone can probably help you
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

It would be nice if someone could help me but even if they did that kind of thing is beyond my scope. I really do not have that kind of knowledge...yet
              2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Working...
              X