Logitech Z-680

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech Z-680

My friend said it wouldn't be possible but I thought I would ask the pros. Would it be possible to power Logitech z-680's in my car without killing my alterantor? He said the power inverters sold here wouldn't be able to handle it. If I used a small form factor pc with optical out and the Logitech's and the optical in, I could get 5.1 digital and not need an amp or processor. Anyone ever try it or think it's possible/economical/intelligent way to do 5.1? He stated that it came down to the amps that I would need to power the z-680's with. Looked on the web and throught the product info they give when you buy them and the box and couldn't find the amps listed anywhere.

It is possible, i had them running on an invertor no problems at all , sounded good too.
    Z680 has a amp built in .
    Epia SP1300\512 ddr\40g 3.5" hd\cartft-touchscreen\GPS-destinator \M1-ATX\Audigy1\Linksys-wirelessB\anafekkingbigamptojblspkrs.

Comment

So you tried it but thats not what you run in your car? Why didn't you stick with it? What do you have instead? I want to do it but don't want to kill my alternator.

Comment

Lessee, that's probably 500 watts worth of power with peak draw quite a bit higher, maybe double. You'd need to consult with the folks in the "car audio" forum here, but I'm certan you'd need capacitors to handle peaks.

Supplying 500 watts on a 12 volt circuit means about 42 amps. (Watts = Volts * Amps so Amp = Watts/Volts)

--Edit -- I think while I did the math right, you're supply 500 watts after the voltage is jumped to 110 AC, so I don't think the 42 amps is right. More like 5 amps at 110V.--

On first blush, thats a lot of power to supply before you even add the computer in.

Also, these are indoor speakers. I'm not sure how well they'd last in a car and I bet they'd take up a lot of space.

I think car audio components are probably a better way to go, but I'm relatively uninformed about audiophile stuff. See what others think.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

The reason they arnt in my VAN [big space] anymore is because i wanted a bigger sub.
          Also i wanted to ditch the invertors, 1 for pc and 1 for z680,s.They get more 5.1 use in my lounge .
          They worked well and noise wasnt a problem with the invertors earthed at same point as carPC.
          PS the amplifier onboard needs 200 watts [240v], my 300 watt invertor was fine.
          Epia SP1300\512 ddr\40g 3.5" hd\cartft-touchscreen\GPS-destinator \M1-ATX\Audigy1\Linksys-wirelessB\anafekkingbigamptojblspkrs.

Comment

Bigger sub than on the z-680? I thought the bass out of it is nuts in my home. Wasn't enough in the car?

Comment

Pretty ghetto but ya it can work with a large invertor
              2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Originally posted by kevin300z
                Bigger sub than on the z-680? I thought the bass out of it is nuts in my home. Wasn't enough in the car?
                hehe is there ever enuff bass

Comment

How would that sound comapred to a system?
                  2002 Mitsubishi Galant
                  Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
                  Via M10K
                  512mb Ram
                  60GB HDD
                  Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
                  OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

[QUOTE=Cheekz185]How would that sound comapred to a system?[/QUOA

A real system will sound better with the right componenents [a bad setup wont ].
                    But in terms of value for money and needing or wanting 5.1 i think its a very good way to go , 5 speakers a sub/box matched with a 5.1 amp pumping about 500 watts rms and a remote control, not to mention the wired control center for about 200 , you just gotta have the room.

Comment

you would also get hum :-P dc power converted to ac for audio signal ;-)

Comment

Hmm isn't the logitech z-680 500W at 10% THD? Just don't turn them up too loud..

Comment

Working...
                        X