How to power 5V usb hub from 12v

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to power 5V usb hub from 12v

I have 2 usb hubs that i need to power from 12v. The hubs need 5v, 2.5A.

Can anyone tell me what i need so that i can power these from a 12v line from the car, i dont want to power them from my M1-ATX psu as it will probably take me close to maximum power.

As it will be powerd from the car, would i need a regulator aswell?

Im not too sure how to go forward from here so any help is appreciated.
    Epia MII12000, 256MB RAM, 40GB laptop HD, slim DVD/CDRW, M1-ATX, 8 in 1 card reader/writer, Pioneer indash screen (waiting for K301 touchscreen)

yup, get a regulator
    Audio: Alpine PXA-H700 DSP, Rockford Fosgate Punch P4004 amp, P152S Comps and Alpine SWR-1242D Sub
    PC: BU-303, SB Audigy 2 ZS, Jetway 1.5Ghz, Cubid case, M2-ATX PSU, New 700tsv
    Toys:K8055 relay board, Elmscan OBDII

Type-R Mini

Comment

So a regulator would regulate the 12v coming form the car, but how do i convert the 12v to 5v?
      Epia MII12000, 256MB RAM, 40GB laptop HD, slim DVD/CDRW, M1-ATX, 8 in 1 card reader/writer, Pioneer indash screen (waiting for K301 touchscreen)

Comment

you can get regulators that have outputs at different voltages, eg 12 > 14 in, 5 out.
        Audio: Alpine PXA-H700 DSP, Rockford Fosgate Punch P4004 amp, P152S Comps and Alpine SWR-1242D Sub
        PC: BU-303, SB Audigy 2 ZS, Jetway 1.5Ghz, Cubid case, M2-ATX PSU, New 700tsv
        Toys:K8055 relay board, Elmscan OBDII

Type-R Mini

Comment

Thanks, ill look into it

Comment

good luck getting 2.5 amps though... linear regulators are generally only rated for like 1 amp (because of the way a linear regulator works, it dissipates a the voltage difference as a lot of heat)

if you need 2.5 amps output you'll probably want to go with a switching power supply, which can provide much higher output current without generating nearly as much heat. otherwise, you may have to make some ghetto arrangement of 5v linear regulators in parallel with huge heatsinks.

check out the max787 or max788 (can't remember which one is for 5v) but those are switching regulators designed for 5A output. you just have to add some external components (inductor, capacitors, etc) but if you can solder and read a schematic you should be able to rig something up.
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

I have used 2pcs 7805 regulators with a cooler...
              working just perfect...

WWW.CARPUTERMANIA.GR

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted their ideas.

I just used the epia power calculator and im actually using less power than i thought. At idle im using about 3.5A, playing MP3 about 4.5A, and playing dvd at 5A. This leaves me 5A spare.

For the two hubs i would pull another 5A, which takes me to the limit. But thats assuming that all ports are using 500mA, when some would be less (i think 100 - 125 mA for some devices). Also one hub would have all ports used up, but the other is just to give spare ports if i ever need to plug anything else in.

Am i right in thinking that the hub would only draw the stated 2.5A with all ports using high power devices?

With this in mind, do you think i would be ok just to suply the hubs from the psu?

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman
                  Thanks to everyone who posted their ideas.

I just used the epia power calculator and im actually using less power than i thought. At idle im using about 3.5A, playing MP3 about 4.5A, and playing dvd at 5A. This leaves me 5A spare.

For the two hubs i would pull another 5A, which takes me to the limit. But thats assuming that all ports are using 500mA, when some would be less (i think 100 - 125 mA for some devices). Also one hub would have all ports used up, but the other is just to give spare ports if i ever need to plug anything else in.

Am i right in thinking that the hub would only draw the stated 2.5A with all ports using high power devices?

With this in mind, do you think i would be ok just to suply the hubs from the psu?
                  Sure you can. Or, you can use this regulator.

Good for 5 amps, and adjustable. Needs I think one or tow external components, a variable resister and a cap, I think.

Michael
                  ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Thanks

Im not all that electronically minded, looks a bit confusing with all the different diagrams. Anyway i ordered some samples of it, so ill see how i get on when i receive them.

Do these maintain a constant output, even with a varied input ( 12-14v)

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman
                      Thanks

Im not all that electronically minded, looks a bit confusing with all the different diagrams. Anyway i ordered some samples of it, so ill see how i get on when i receive them.

Do these maintain a constant output, even with a varied input ( 12-14v)
                      It really isn't that hard. WHen you get them, if you need help, just let us know.

Yes, they will maintain the voltage even with a varied input, as long as it is above the threshold voltage. Basically, the input voltage has to be a certain amount above the output voltage. Usually it is about half a volt to a volt. You should have no problems getting clean, steady 5 volts in the car, since if the battery/alternator get anywhere near 5 volts, it wouldn't be working.

Michael
                      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I prob will have to get back to you when i receive them.

Comment

Or you could use a http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pt6653.html to get upto 5a at 5v
                          Old setup
                          Epia M10k, Cubid 2699R case, 512MB, 40GB 3.5" drive
                          New setup
                          Optiplex 260SX (2.8GHz P4, 512MB, 30GB, DVD)
                          Xenarc 700IDT, USB hub, 802.11g, bluetooth, P2140, P5V

Comment

Carnetix have just released the 1290 it supports 12v and a seperate 5v O/P
                            http://www.carnetix.com/CNX_1290.htm

Comment

Originally posted by klokman
                              Carnetix have just released the 1290 it supports 12v and a seperate 5v O/P
                              http://www.carnetix.com/CNX_1290.htm
                              The 1280 has always had a seperate 5v output, and it can also add another one with the new module due for release soon...

But, spaceman already has a M1-ATX so doesn't need a complete PSU-shutdown controller etc...
                              Old setup
                              Epia M10k, Cubid 2699R case, 512MB, 40GB 3.5" drive
                              New setup
                              Optiplex 260SX (2.8GHz P4, 512MB, 30GB, DVD)
                              Xenarc 700IDT, USB hub, 802.11g, bluetooth, P2140, P5V

Comment

Working...
                              X