Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching tv in your car in the USA. Anyone doing it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching tv in your car in the USA. Anyone doing it?

Hey guys, read lots of threads on getting tv in your car as far as europe is concerned but anyone actually do it here in the US without a big antenna on the car. Even if you do have a big antenna how is the reception? I've heard nightmares regarding it but hey, you never know when you're in the car and you wanna watch t.v.! (i.e. football season is coming up!)

I'd like to see some setups if possible. I've seen the USB tv tuner as well but anyone tried that out?

I do have an extra Hauppauge PVR-250 laying around but not sure if I can use that in my car!

actually do it here in the US without a big antenna on the car
    Yes

Even if you do have a big antenna how is the reception?
    Pretty small and reception is crapy but what else you want from a aerial signal

I'd like to see some setups if possible
    check the worklogs or the "show your project" section

I've seen the USB tv tuner as well but anyone tried that out?
    Haven't tryed.....I use PCI card.

double

search tips.

tape ant.
    tv tuner card
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Well from a quick look at this thread:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...light=tv+tuner

It doesnt sound very promising to have good reception. Its not worth even trying if all im gonna see is snow.

Comment

well like here in miami we have all the local stations around...... so for "me" (I quote myself cause a lot of people are going to say that is worthless) the reception is normal.. like the same reception that I get at home with the PC and a $15 ant from RC.
        Also I'm talking reception when the car is in no motion.

BTW I use a film or tape kind ant.
        RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
        We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Whats "normal" reception anyways? Pretty *****ty?

Comment

i don't think its worth it. i have a nav-tv box but u need a fat antenna to get any reception so i just used it for my carpc and watch music videos, dvds, television series on my pc etc
            Peep MY TYTE WHIP yo! It's got too many ill mods to list!

Comment

OTA reception while moving sucks. I'm gonna wait till I get wireless broadband and then stream all of my TV channels from home. That way I can get cable channels, too.
              iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
              CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Do you think this would help solve the reception problems?
                Asus MicroATX with GeFore 6100, Mobile Sempron 3300+, 1Gig Ram, 320GB 3.5" 7200UPM HDD, M2-ATX, Gain/Xenarc 7"

Fast IS my copilot

Comment

I hate having to roll down the windows and ask the next car at the light to hold a tin foil encased antenna a certain way cuz the news isn't quite coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by Don 944 LA
                    I hate having to roll down the windows and ask the next car at the light to hold a tin foil encased antenna a certain way cuz the news isn't quite coming in.

Post # 3000

Comment

I'm in the minority here. I had a carputer a while ago packed to the hilt with features. I had a TV card in there and purchased an amplified car tv antenna from ebay. The reception SUCKED! I mean, I got in one channel at a time - and that was if I was lucky. 90% of the time I wouldn't get anything but static.

Since than, I've completely scrapped the carputer and have gone with a Panasonic 7" in-dash unit with a built-in TV tuner. The tuner has diversity antenna inputs (it compares the signal from both tv antennas and chooses the strongest signal). The antennas that came with the head-unit are AMAZING! Diversity tuner antennas come in pairs, each sticking to one of the top corners of the rear windshield. Each antenna is seperately grounded to the car as well as having +12v inputs each.

The reception is GREAT! I can watch most local channels with relatively minor interference while driving at highway speeds. When I am stopped, the TV signal sometimes looks better then what I get at home (especially for channels 7-13).

Here is your problem...I don't know of any PCI/USB tv tuners that will take a diversity antenna input. So, you're handicapped right there. If you could find the right combination of antenna and location, you'll be set.

-HD

Comment

hd54321 is right, an amplified diversity antenna setup is a must for watching TV in a moving vehicle. Unfortunately, most manufacturers won't sell the antenna separately because the have to be tuned to the vehicle and that's troublesome even for many professional installers. Most installers here in St Louis stopped selling auto TVs for just that reason (our reception sucks even with a 6ft antenna on top of the highest hill.)

I actually had to drive to two of the transmitter antennas just to lock in the channels before I got a tuned diversity antenna. Now I could be sitting in the infield at the Indy 500, hit scan, and pick up 8 channels no problem (although only 5 were viewable, before I was lucky to get 2).
                        HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

You can do like me and just get a mobile dvd player with built in TV for less than $120 and that will solve a couple of problems. You will have decent to good TV reception and now you can watch and listen to cd's, mp3's, dvd's etc... without fully booting the carPC.

Much like this one...

DVD-3800T
                          Mobile DVD Player
                          with Built-In TV Tuner

DIN MOUNTING
                          MP3/DVD/CDR/CDRW & SDVD COMPATIBLE
                          DTS AND DOLBY DIGITAL CAPABLE
                          BUILT-IN TV TUNER
                          ON-SCREEN PROGRAMMING
                          MULTI-LANGUAGE DISPLAY
                          LAST POSITION MEMORY
                          NTSC/PAL COMPATIBLE (TV TUNER IS NTSC ONLY)
                          AUDIO/VIDEO INPUT
                          DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT
                          WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL
                          Osiris Networx

--Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                            You can do like me and just get a mobile dvd player with built in TV for less than $120 and that will solve a couple of problems. You will have decent to good TV reception and now you can watch and listen to cd's, mp3's, dvd's etc... without fully booting the carPC.

Much like this one...

DVD-3800T
                            Mobile DVD Player
                            with Built-In TV Tuner

DIN MOUNTING
                            MP3/DVD/CDR/CDRW & SDVD COMPATIBLE
                            DTS AND DOLBY DIGITAL CAPABLE
                            BUILT-IN TV TUNER
                            ON-SCREEN PROGRAMMING
                            MULTI-LANGUAGE DISPLAY
                            LAST POSITION MEMORY
                            NTSC/PAL COMPATIBLE (TV TUNER IS NTSC ONLY)
                            AUDIO/VIDEO INPUT
                            DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT
                            WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL

this is what I want TV but when you said "without fully booting the carPC.
                            " can I still get PC

Is this a good setup if possible with my car

1.TOP DIN-->Lilltput motorized touch screen
                            2.Bottom DIN-->DVD-3800T
                            Mobile DVD Player
                            with Built-In TV Tuner
                            3.Under seat-->Car computer

so easy to type but so hard to accomplish

Comment

Originally posted by jbelle7435
                              this is what I want TV but when you said "without fully booting the carPC.
                              " can I still get PC
                              He just meant with that headunit, he can watch TV without having the carPC booted up. Of course you can still have a PC.
                              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                              X