Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best software for multiple cameras on carPC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best software for multiple cameras on carPC?

Heya,

I'm new here and i apologise if this has been posted before but i could'nt find any information about it on the forums.

I'm planning to have about 4 wireless/wired nightvision cameras around my car and i want to connect them to my carPC so i can view them and also use them for recording while i'm in car parks, or while driving.

Does anyone know of software that will work with touchscreen that will allow me to do this?

Thank you,
    Rob.

you will need a multiplexer with a pc interface....I have seen one that is perfect for this on ebay for a little under $200, does 4 cameras & also does mirror imaging I've wanted one for a while, but never got around to that part yet.....
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

And you'll need videocapx(fathsoft.com) to handle them, sofware'dly speaking
      Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Could i use this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...78593&tc=photo

Also the videocapx software.. could i make that integrate with a frontend so i can press the screen to access the cameras, record.. etc etc?

Comment

Videocapx is an ActiveX, so it can be used in any program you may code.

If you have 4 cams, just drop 4 VCX component in your prog, and you'll have 4 frames on your screen.

And yes, you can click to take snapshots, record, upload pics to a webserver..... VCX also can play divx, mpg, mp3, with feature hardly seen elsewhere, such as configurable reading speed (both in forward and reverse, it's fun to watch SG-Atlantis in FFWD)

Comment

Thing is i don't know how to code ActiveX / VisualBasic

So basically if i get that 4 channel DVR card, i can use the VideoCapx software and customise it to do what i want?

Comment

I'm thinking more along the lines of this

Comment

I believe the first link is better suited. I was planning on the same thing, except for when the cop pulls me over, but my research ended up in similar products than the first link to ebay.

My $.02

Comment

I guess I like mine better because it also works independant of the pc......I don't want to have to wait for a boot/reboot to back up

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                    I'm thinking more along the lines of this
                    That's a piece of S...

Read the specs :

Requires a minimum of an Intel Pentium 4 1.0 GHz processor. Non compatible with non-Intel processors.

Comment

I have that 4 channel PCI card (or one very similar, I think they're all made by the same company and have the Conexant chip). Anyway, I haven't been able to get it to work with multiple cameras except by using the software that comes with it. Also be aware that total framerate they claim is 25 fps, meaning when using all 4 channels simultaneous you will only get ~ 4 fps per channel.

BTW good software for multiple cameras is Active Webcam but it is more geared toward surveillance use, not in car.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFX
                        That's a piece of S...

Read the specs :

Requires a minimum of an Intel Pentium 4 1.0 GHz processor. Non compatible with non-Intel processors.
                        I don't have a problem with those spec.'s as I can meet them.....I admit it does look like it's not high end equiptment...but it does a job that nothing else I've found can touch......especially the mirror image functions...which will allow use of higher end cameras than what would be available if you had to do mirror imaging with the camera itself...they don't make any high end cameras that do mirror flip...I haven't been able to find any mirror image cameras that are even good, much less great

I'm going to get one to give it a shot.....I hope it's not a piece of crap....

Comment

I'm in the process of releasing a free program for car computer users with touchscreens that has the ability to do this. It has GPS tracking functionality, and will connect to our web services as well for web-based tracking, live photo viewing, etc.

I'm not ready to release complete details about this application yet, but the application itself will be free with the ability to log location and photograph information locally (photos have GPS location embedded into the EXIF tags), as well as some additional functionality many of you will find useful.

For additional internet-based services, I intend on offering a reasonable subscription model to help fuel future growth of the application, and put some funds into the pockets of a few people who have spent time on it.

I suppose now is also the time to get a feel for the interest of this application. Any comments?

Kevin
                          Kevin
                          Audi A4 Carputer, 80% setup.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                            I don't have a problem with those spec.'s as I can meet them.....

Good for you, however, such a limitation tells a lot about their coding ability. It's always fun to see coders still stuck in late '90s.

I admit it does look like it's not high end equiptment...but it does a job that nothing else I've found can touch......especially the mirror image functions

Videocapx does it, it can mirror and flip too Mirrors & Flip are really simple functions from an hardware point of view.

...which will allow use of higher end cameras than what would be available if you had to do mirror imaging with the camera itself...they don't make any high end cameras that do mirror flip...I haven't been able to find any mirror image cameras that are even good, much less great

I'm going to get one to give it a shot.....I hope it's not a piece of crap....
                            Could you review it ?

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar
                              I'm in the process of releasing a free program for car computer users with touchscreens that has the ability to do this. It has GPS tracking functionality, and will connect to our web services as well for web-based tracking, live photo viewing, etc.

I'm not ready to release complete details about this application yet, but the application itself will be free with the ability to log location and photograph information locally (photos have GPS location embedded into the EXIF tags), as well as some additional functionality many of you will find useful.

For additional internet-based services, I intend on offering a reasonable subscription model to help fuel future growth of the application, and put some funds into the pockets of a few people who have spent time on it.

I suppose now is also the time to get a feel for the interest of this application. Any comments?

Kevin
                              I'm ready to beta test it when you are Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                              X