who is running a laptop hard drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is running a laptop hard drive?

when researching parts for my CarPC I read that a laptop hard drive would work better due to the fact that it can supposedly handle shock better. So I bought a 7200RPM Travelstar and the piece of **** has gone out on me 2 times now. Can someone running a laptop drive tell me how you are protecting from shock and such.

thanks.

I'm using cheap 4500rpm fujitsu hd for about 2 months and its working fine.. touchwood. I went thru lots of potholes'n stuff. never had any problems. Just make sure that its secured tightly like in the regular case.
    Current project ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■___ 85%
    Xenarc 700TS, Mobile Athlon 1GHz, Soyo K7VME, 30Gb HD, Slimline DVD drive, TB Santa Cruz, Opus 120W
    Holux G210

03 Acura TL, Zapco & Precision Power amps, Adire Koda comps & EDesign 12" sub.

Comment

Myself I am using an entire laptop for the job and honestly, I swear by it. On a side note, IBM hard drives are tempermental by nature so try another brand ok? Good luck.
      Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

Comment

is hitachi a sub division of IBM or something? Well I ahve can drive over rail raod tracks at 50MPH and take some pretty decent bumps and I was at a stop light and was going to race someone, launched my car and the song froze. So I rebooted adn now the hard drive acts like it isnt getting power. So I put the hard drive in my laptop and still no go. Any opinions on what drive to buy?

Comment

IBM sold their drive division to Hitachi

Comment

I'm using a 2.5" Fujitsu. It's worked great for nearly a year. Shock mount consists of bolting it directly to the rear deck using L brackets from Home Depot. Upside down.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I've been using an IBM 2.5" drive for over a year now...zero problems...I also have a 3.5" drive mounted sideways next to my knee on the center tunnel...0 problems with that too...
              Lexus SC400
              Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

I'm using two WD 2.5".... custom housing in plexi.

No problems so far.
                RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

well it is under warranty from newegg so I can get it replaced, again, but this is crap. I have the drive screwed into a aluminum piece and that is attached to the case via 4 lengths of all thread, using clear rubber tubing as a sort fo shock abortion and then nuts threaded down to compres the tubing lightly. Do you think that that might be the reason for 2 drive failures?

Comment

is it mounted vertically or horizontally in the car?
                    i read that it's best to mount horizontally, because that's where all the shock protection is
                    [||||||||||||||||||||] - final touches
                    SUPER 7" VGA w/ TS
                    Toshiba Satellite 3000
                    P3 850
                    256MB
                    30GB
                    Geforce2 Go
                    DVD
                    Orinoco 802.11b PCMCIA
                    nlite WinXP 350MB installed
                    RoadRunner
                    iGuidance 2.1
                    Holux GM210 GPS
                    Xantrex Xpower 300

Comment

Originally posted by 04scooby
                      well it is under warranty from newegg so I can get it replaced, again, but this is crap. I have the drive screwed into a aluminum piece and that is attached to the case via 4 lengths of all thread, using clear rubber tubing as a sort fo shock abortion and then nuts threaded down to compres the tubing lightly. Do you think that that might be the reason for 2 drive failures?
                      Replace the drive and remove the shock protection.

Every couple of months we have a "vertical mount VS. horizontal mount" argument. Bottom line, lots of theories but no proof either way.

Mine's horizontal.
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:

Comment

There are also some different interpretations of what a substantial impact is.

I hear alot of people say that they hit hundreds of pot holes and everything is fine. I have to argue that each car is going to be completely different. I know for a fact that my own car is considerably worse than most. I have gone through 3 head units over 5 years. Each one needing to have the laser head re-aligned from the continual bumps that it sees. This is with tight suspension, and 205/40 R17 tires (very unforgiving). I guarantee that my hard drive is going to fail faster than the guy above with the lexus sc400 No offense or anything.

Just be warned that even though all these guys say they have had zero problems, hard drives are not designed to be banging around in a car environment. That is not to say that you are going to have problems, I am just pointing out that the failure rate will be higher when used in a car.

I also think that suspending the hard drive somehow (a method that actually lessens the impact) is beneficial if designed correctly. Argue with me if you want, but it would be like saying you are more comfortable in a car with the wheels directly mounted to the chassis.

Comment

it is mounted horizontally, but I am thinking or going with a solid mounting setup. I think the shock absorbtion method would work better on a full sized drive but is working against the built in protection of the laptop drive.

Comment

Remove the 'shock' protection it may have caused your failures.

My desktop drive has been in several car crashes while in use and works just fine.
                            TruckinMP3
                            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I think your shock protection is somehow inadvertently introducing unfavorable vibration. Or the drives you are buying are not suited for the car.

Search on terms like "Shock protection" or "horizontal" and you'll find all of the rages that go on about this. It's all opinion (including mine) and no fact one way or the other.
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X