Anything I am missing/Help with power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything I am missing/Help with power

I found nearly exactly what I was looking for for sale here on the forums, the price is reasonable, and buying everything from one spot is great too. I was just wondering if I could get a little bit of help.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53888 The 'bundle' I will be buying.

I was told I need an ITPS, I'm not sure what it stands for, its not in the FAQ question, but it just seems to be something of a regulator, feeding the computer a consistant 12V.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

So, between these two links, is there anything at all more I would need? I have a screen and software already, so that is all set.

How about would I acutally connect it to the car? I can build a computer, I've built quite a few, powering them inside of a car is what really stumps me though. Right now I just put my laptop on the floor, and have my lilliput connected to the cigerette lighter. Would I have to wire something else in? Splice into a couple wires in the car?
    :: '97 2.5 TL :: CarPC 1.0: Complete :: CarPC 2.0: 95% ::

Which FAQ did you read? This one contains the information you seek, particularly about the ITPS and examples of how to wire your car.

To help you out, I'll tell you that the package you are looking at requires two things addtional, a voltage regulator, and a startup/shutdown controller.

The regulator is a must. The SDC isn't a must but is very high on the priority list.

ITPS ought to stand for It's (a) Piece (of) Sh#t. You are correct in your guess that it is a voltage regulator with built in start up and shut down controller. However, it is an inefficient regulator and introduces more problems than it solves. There are people that use them, I used one for several months, and they CAN work. However, they usually introduce more problems than solutions such as mysterious freezes of the computer, scrambled hard drives, the inability to run the PC if the car is off, etc.

Since the case you have includes a 60 watt power supply, you need a quality regulator. The Carnetix 1260 is excellent and succeeds where the ITPS fails (survives crank, works with the car off, doesn't scramble your hard drive). In fact, I saw one for sale on the boards today at what looked like a good price.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

So it would be the battery -> Carnetix 1260 -> case, correct? And the Carnetix 1260 would cover the regulation, shutting down, and would let the case live through the crank? If so, I know exactly what I am doing

edit: Wouldn't this mean I would need some extra wiring also? Or would the Carnetix 1260 supply me with enough to go from the battery to under the passanger seat? Do I need to buy a fuse also, or does it have one built into it?

Comment

The harness on the Carnetix is only about a foot or two long. You'll have to extend the wires to fit your needs. I used zip-cord, like on a lamp you plug into the wall. It's fine for a low power system like this.

I also fused the system with a 10 amp fuse. You can get a fuse and holder at Radio Shock for under $5. Come to think of it, you can get the zip cord there, too.
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:

Comment

Zip cord... I've never heard of it before. Care to explain a bit farther?

Comment

It's just a term for the regular lamp cord that you find on electric lamps in your house. I think it refers to the fact that once you make a cut in the middle you can "zip" it apart into two different insulated wires. It's stranded and carries two conductors. Any electrical department at a home store carries it. It's what extension cords are made out of.
            Want to:

Comment

Ah I see, awesome. I think I may even have some downstairs, or by the foot at work. I may just pick it all up in one stop though. Bug, you are quite helpful.

Comment

Working...
              X