Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mmmm.. dual core w/ hyperthread = 4 processors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mmmm.. dual core w/ hyperthread = 4 processors

    I just had a thought of how fast one of those new dual core intel chips on a board that hyperthreads would be.

    right now there is only (1) board that will run the dual core w/ hyperthread and the chips are 3.2 ghz. Downside is that the processors are $1100 ea. ( OUCH !! )

    Just throwing out my wish list / dreaming to see if anyone else has looked at that combination..


  • #2
    I don't think that anyone is going to be doing 3d rendering in their car...
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

    1995 Lexus SC300

    Comment


    • #3
      yea would be sweet. the good thing about that is it will last a long time. i got a 3.0ghz ht 2 years ago and it still can run all the new games nicely (thank you intel EDGE program for getting me it plus mobo and win xp pro for $200 when it cost about $800 regularly)

      im hoping sony's cell performs, i think there is a lot of potential

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by The-ill-man
        yea would be sweet. the good thing about that is it will last a long time. i got a 3.0ghz ht 2 years ago and it still can run all the new games nicely (thank you intel EDGE program for getting me it plus mobo and win xp pro for $200 when it cost about $800 regularly)

        im hoping sony's cell performs, i think there is a lot of potential
        Wanna explain what the EDGE program is and how to sign up?
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

        1995 Lexus SC300

        Comment


        • #5
          well.. HyperThreading ISN'T 2 processors

          Very very few applications can get performance boost with HT, and very few with dual core processors. They are used for very specific applications.

          There was a recent review done by tom's hardware on Athlon 64 X2 VS Pentium D 840 (dual core cpus) showing almost 0 benefits for today's home cpu use. Even in big 3D games.

          You'd be better to look for good processors with low voltage instead Dual core CPUs are going to need a lot more power than standard cpus too For almost 0 benefit for in-car use !
          Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
          Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
          Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

          My Corolla Computer

          Comment


          • #6
            EDGE is Intel's reseller program. Like almost all companies (HP, Microsoft, Lexmark, etc.).

            I am a computer hardware salesman and we get somes programs from these companies to get discounts on their products. I don'T know if these programs are open to everyone, but for Microsoft and HP we must be an employee of a company that sells these products. I've got a free dig. cam from HP using their program (www.hpinfolab.com)
            I got a free cordless phone from lexmark, I can get some free software from Microsoft, and so on.
            Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
            Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
            Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

            My Corolla Computer

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CapitaineFritz
              EDGE is Intel's reseller program. Like almost all companies (HP, Microsoft, Lexmark, etc.).

              I am a computer hardware salesman and we get somes programs from these companies to get discounts on their products. I don'T know if these programs are open to everyone, but for Microsoft and HP we must be an employee of a company that sells these products. I've got a free dig. cam from HP using their program (www.hpinfolab.com)
              I got a free cordless phone from lexmark, I can get some free software from Microsoft, and so on.
              Lucky!
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

              1995 Lexus SC300

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CapitaineFritz
                well.. HyperThreading ISN'T 2 processors
                It isn't even close. The maximum theoretical benefit you can achieve is 17% (I believe this discounts the unrealistic cases like a program so small it fits entirely into the cache). Dual core can theoretically perform just *over* 2x as fast with particularly well suited real world cases. Normally it's going to less.

                Have you checked out Intel's power ratings for their dual core cpus. The amount of power each cpu requires is very scary. Try to run this in a car and you'll have a *lot* of problems getting enough power to it and then keeping it cool enough.
                Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Don 944 LA
                  I just had a thought of how fast one of those new dual core intel chips on a board that hyperthreads would be.

                  right now there is only (1) board that will run the dual core w/ hyperthread and the chips are 3.2 ghz. Downside is that the processors are $1100 ea. ( OUCH !! )

                  Just throwing out my wish list / dreaming to see if anyone else has looked at that combination..

                  I must have missed something, where did you find a dual core chip with hyperthreading? You either have one or the other, not both from what I saw. Point me to a specific processor if I am wrong, that should be interesting.
                  I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The uber expensive "top of the line" Intel chips that are geared toward ppl with too much money have both.

                    Exteme Edition is the official name.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CapitaineFritz
                      There was a recent review done by tom's hardware on Athlon 64 X2 VS Pentium D 840 (dual core cpus) showing almost 0 benefits for today's home cpu use. Even in big 3D games.
                      Particularly games. For the most part, games aren't multi-threaded, since (except with multi-proc and now multi-core) it had no performance benefit and coding multi-threaded is a pain. This will change as multi-core becomes more widespread. In the meantime, what multi-core is good for is running multiple processor intensive apps simultaniously.

                      Not much use in a car though...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No, its two processors and 2 psuedo processors
                        2004 G35 Coupe project

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Calculate it the way you want... I don't see in which way it could be good for in-car use ?!?

                          Are you really gonna burn a DVD, open 18 IE windows, re-calculate your route with your GPS, all while playing Doom 3 at a stoplight ?
                          Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
                          Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
                          Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

                          My Corolla Computer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            don't forget running every benchmark/stress test program at the same time (SETI, [email protected], prime95, every version of 3dmark, etc etc)

                            (as your car's alternator starts glowing cherry red...)
                            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                            Originally posted by Viscouse
                            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                            eegeek.net

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X