Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I am going to kill myself. Very soon now.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I am going to kill myself. Very soon now.

So I bought a Rikaline 6010 USB GPS, and it works perfectly with 3 computers I have at home.

So I built a CarPC using an M7NCG400 motherboard, and Athlon XP-M 2400+ (a popular combo in this forum), and the GPS does not work properly. It works for a few seconds, and then the data stream just stalls. (I observed see this behavior using several popular GPS utilities)

Troubleshooting so far:
    -Re-installed Windows. Same issue.
    -Updated BIOS and all Nforce2 drivers. Same issue.
    -Changed memory. Same issue
    -Changed processor to a regular Athlon XP 1800+. Same issue.
    -Changed Power Supply (PSU) to a regular 300W ATX PSU. Same issue.
    -Swapped motherboard for a new one. Same issue.

So the only way I can get this GPS to work with my CarPC is to connect the GPS to a USB powered hub, and connect the hub to the computer. Works flawless this way, proven (left it running for 24 hours straight, not a sincle hiccup).

My conclusions:
    ============
    -Can't be an issue with the GPS, since it works on other PCs.
    -Can't be an issue with memory, PSU, CPU or mobo, since I swapped all those.
    -Must be an issue related to power, apparently the bus-powered USB on the mobo cannot deliver enough power (as it does work through a powered hub). But I already know this mobo normally *can* deliver enough power because I have talked to other members using same mobo+GPS without issues.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be happenning here? I am usually very good at troubleshooting these types of issues, but this is a total mystery to me, and I could really use some help from others in this forum.

Right now, my project is on hold until I can get this resolved. I feel beaten up by this whole problem.
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

Are you testing the new car PC in the car? If so where do you have the antenna for the GPS?
    Via Epia M1000
    512MB RAM
    120MB IBM Hard drive
    Netgear MA111
    Lilliput 8" Touchscreen

http://www.clarre.com/carcomputer.htm

Comment

No, I have been testing at home. The antenna is sitting on my desk, which likely gets no signal, but who cares. It works on my Home PC, with my antenna on the same spot. It also works when powered through USB hub, all else equal.

And I also tried it outside, full signal, 7/8 stellites, and had the exact same issue.

So this is really not related to satellite signal, but more likely power to the GPS. Still can' quite nail this down though.

Originally posted by Clarre
      Are you testing the new car PC in the car? If so where do you have the antenna for the GPS?
      2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

That sounds very strange. Sorry but then I can't help you. I hope you get it in order.
        Via Epia M1000
        512MB RAM
        120MB IBM Hard drive
        Netgear MA111
        Lilliput 8" Touchscreen

http://www.clarre.com/carcomputer.htm

Comment

Originally posted by justintime
          No, I have been testing at home. The antenna is sitting on my desk, which likely gets no signal, but who cares. It works on my Home PC, with my antenna on the same spot. It also works when powered through USB hub, all else equal.

And I also tried it outside, full signal, 7/8 stellites, and had the exact same issue.

So this is really not related to satellite signal, but more likely power to the GPS. Still can' quite nail this down though.

Did you ever try a different GPS receiver (not a different model, but a different unit like the one you have)

I guess it is possible that your particular receiver has some sort of need for more power. While it works fine with other MB that are able to supply the current, your carputer setup cannot. And although other people can run this exact setup, your is having issues because the receiver is the culprit, and it needs more power then everyone elses.

It's a theory, I guess

Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

why can't you just use a powered hub in the car?
            rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

it does sound screwy... but you could patch the problem... take the GPS unit USB cable (or if you dont want to risk it, get a USB extension cable) cut it open, and cut the +5v wire (and ground, if you want) and run them to a molex connector inside the case, instead of to the USB port... basically a homemade one-port powered USB hub
              But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
              Originally posted by Viscouse
              I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
              eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by fantomas
                why can't you just use a powered hub in the car?
                I don't think that is the point. While that is a solution, I think he is mostly wondering "why doesn't it work with out the powered hub since it works perfectly for others with the exact same setup"

Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

@fantomas: Yeah well... a powered USB hub I guess is an option, but I have serious space constraints as it is. Plus I'd hate to have to hack this out to get it to work properly.

@wiredwrx: I guess I could try another identical GPS, but I ruled out this as being the problem because it works on other PCs. (I do see your point though)

Noteworthy: The only things on the PC which I have not changed are the GPS, and the Hard Drive. I did re-install windows on the HD though.
                  2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

@fantomas: Yeah well... a powered USB hub I guess is an option, but I have serious space constraints as it is. Pplus I'd hate to have to hack this out to get it to work properly.

@wiredwrx: I guess I could try another identical GPS, but I ruled out this as being the problem because it works on other PCs. The only things on the PC which I have not changed are the GPS, and the Hard Drive. I did re-install windows on the HD though.

Originally posted by wiredwrx
                    Did you ever try a different GPS receiver (not a different model, but a different unit like the one you have)

I guess it is possible that your particular receiver has some sort of need for more power. While it works fine with other MB that are able to supply the current, your carputer setup cannot. And although other people can run this exact setup, yours is having issues because the receiver is the culprit, and it needs more power then everyone elses.
                    EDIT: Lets look at it this way. All of the following is just for illustrative purposes.

Normally, the Rikaline receiver requires 1 amp to run. All of your MBs including the carputer, can supply the 1 amp. However, for some reason, your Rikaline needs 2 amps. Since most MBs can supply 2 amps, it works on other MBs that you own, however, your carputer MB can only supply 1 amp. more then enough for a "normal" rikaline, but not enough for your Rikaline because it needs more power.

Since the only thing (besides the HD) that you have not tried changing out is the receiver, then what else is left to be the culprit.

Michael

Oh ya, and it is just a theory. I have no concrete proof that this is your problem. However, logic and deductive reasoning leads me to this conclusion.

Remember, electronics are built with parts that are with in a tolerance. If the receiver is made with 10% tolerance, and all of the parts are at the maximum in a single direction (or at least, in a direction that is cumulative), it could cause some unexpected results. I have often wondered what would happen if all the parts in a device maxed out the tolerance. Perhaps this is the result.

Comment

@wiredwrx: I think it is worth a try. With my luck though, see what happened... the seller on eBay that I got this from is no longer listing on eBay (not a member anymore). I have no way of contacting him for an exchange, and frankly, it has been so long now (30+ days of troubleshooting) that I might just have to buy a new one.

Wonder if it is best for me just to get another brand altogether, to minimise the risk of having the same issue. Of course if I do that, and the new GPS works, I would never get the mystery solved!
                      2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

@wiredwrx: I think it is worth a try. With my luck though, see what happened... the seller on eBay that I got this from is no longer listing on eBay (not a member anymore). I have no way of contacting him for an exchange, and frankly, it has been so long now (30+ days of troubleshooting) that I might just have to buy a new one.

Wonder if it is best for me just to get another brand altogether, to minimise the risk of having the same issue. Of course if I do that, and the new GPS works, I would never get the mystery solved!
                        It sucks the guy picked up an left. Perhaps Rikaline can help you.

You can try another brand of receiver, that may clear the problem up. The only way to know for sure if it is YOUR PARTICULAR reciever is if you swap it with an exact same kind, and see what happens.

Michael

Comment

i agree....if it works with the powered hub....just us it. Dont over think it !!
                          http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/856246

Please visit my new site http://www.Gigabitcustoms.com

My worklog http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52720

Comment

Let me ask you all a simple, simple question. Can you please Step forward if you own a Biostar M7NCG400 and a Rikaline 6010 GPS? Does this combo work for YOU?

That's all I really need to know at this point.
                            2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

Lookiewhat I found... the black cable in the middle (Y-Connector) takes power from 2 adjacent USB ports to feed into one USB device. I'm possitivie this would resolve my issue. Now, where to buy this thing in the US?

(Taken from http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/37)
                              2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

Working...
                              X