No announcement yet.

Vibration dampers for HDDs (GEL based)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration dampers for HDDs (GEL based)

Just wanted to share a link with you.
    I believe they can significantly improve the lifetime for HDDs in the car:
    http://www.geltec.co.jp/english/product/pro_02.htm
    Anyone have them or seen ones ?
    Car pc integration with ease
    Car mediacenter

Very good find.....
    Any pricing?
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

The guys at 9thtee.com have these for their TIVO 2nd drive install kits which run about $10 / kit and include a nice piece of aluminum to mount the drive to with these vibration mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by fromplanetbob
        The guys at 9thtee.com have these for their TIVO 2nd drive install kits which run about $10 / kit and include a nice piece of aluminum to mount the drive to with these vibration mounts.
        Can't find the priduct there, have a link?
        thanks

Comment

Did a little lookin around and found this:
          http://9thtee.com/tivo-sa1.htm#BRACKET
          Not sure if it's exactally what you're looking for, but there it is.

Progress: On hold while I pay off my new PowerBook :D
          Part List:
          VIA MII10000 - 512MB - 20Gig 2.5" - Rikaline 6010 - 7" Lilliput - CNX-P1260 - Alpine 4ch Amp - 4 Gauge wire and fused distrobution block.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7962621750

expensive!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CJ8501

I'd rather buy a backup HD!!

Comment

okay well THAT is a total ripoff. I bet if you were crafty you could just make your own. after all you can buy 100% silicone at home depot, etc... just make a simple mold (you could probably use a small cap from a hair spray can or something as a mold), put a metal bushing in the middle, and fill it up with silicone...

it'd take a long time to dry, and you'd have to experiment with different liquids to use as a mold release, but it would cost you all of $3 instead of $80...
                But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                Originally posted by Viscouse
                I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                eegeek.net

Comment

wonder how they compare to some 30 cent neoprene washers from home depot and/or cutting up one of those silicone gel mouse pad wrist rest things

Comment

if you can get your hands on an old/broken CDROM or DVDROM drive, open it up. The carriage for the head is on four rubber shock absorbers. That's what I'm using for shock absorption. Cheap and effective without fear of too much rebound.

-psyrex
                    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
                    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
                    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
                    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
                    ...it never ends

Comment

they would dispatch a kit for free if you argument is convincing
                      just try it.
                      got mine like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ8501
                        Very old technique : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2246

Cheaper way of doing it, been working fine for nearly 6 years for me : http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ldID=&doy=22m7

Rob
                        Old Systems retired due to new car
                        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I went to the hardware store and bought some of those silicon bumpers you put on knick knacks and other things you don't want rattling around. They are adhesive backed as well so they stick to the drive. I just drilled a hole through them and mounted 'em up. Total cost was about $1.79. No fancy brass bushing though.

Does that mean the brass bushing is worth $78.20??

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Comment

Working...
                          X