Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No video on my new motherboard/cpu combo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No video on my new motherboard/cpu combo?

Hi, I just purchased the following motherboard/cpu combo as I revamping my carputer setup. Unfortunately, when I power it up, the fans spin, but nothing appears on the screen. Please help!!!! I need this working by the august 28th meet. Thanks!!!

PCChips M825LU V.7.2
    1.6 Duron

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Btw, my AOL IM is mhafterTF
    Thanks all.
    --------
    mykolJay
    99 Accord coupe
    http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
    My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Btw, I don't even see the bios screen.
    --------
    mykolJay
    99 Accord coupe

Comment

heh... it would be rather challenging to see the bios screen without video, now wouldn't it

well there's a few things that could cause it:
      1) dead hardware
      2) something's not seated properly
      3) incompatible hardware

first off, are you getting any error beeps out of it?

first thing you should try is clearing the CMOS. I've seen several mobos that don't work out of the box, and clearing the CMOS (which clears bad hardware settings) fixes it.

also, double check all your mobo jumper settings. in particular, sometimes there is a jumper for locking the FSB to 100MHz or something, and sometimes it comes set that way, which could cause it to not boot.

if that doesn't work, try removing and reinstalling the CPU and RAM.

if that doesn't work, try removing the RAM entirely and see if you get any different signs of life.

If you can, try switching RAM and/or processor with a different computer. if the CPU and RAM work in another computer, then at least you'll know they're not bad... and if the computer still doesn't work with known working CPU and RAM, then you narrow it down to the motherboard...

If you have one, try an actual video card. It's weird, but some motherboards don't want to default to on-board video, sometimes you have to use a card to get it into bios, then switch it to on-board, then remove the card.

Do you have a hard drive connected to it? if so, when you boot it, do you hear hard drive activity? That's a good way to tell if it is simply not outputting video, or if it's not booting at all... if you hear hard drive activity then chances are it's just the video that's not working, which is a bit easier to fix than getting no signs of life at all.

MOST of the computers I have built have had initial booting problems, and all the things listed above are the stuff that generally takes care of it. I have only had one mobo that didn't work even after all that, and that was because they connected all the standoff locations on the board to one of the voltage rails, instead of ground, so by using metal standoffs instead of plastic (it didn't come with any so I used what I had) to connect it to the (grounded) metal case, it killed it.
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

Are you using onboard video? Try resetting the CMOS settings via a jumper*.

Comment

Hey, Im also curious about your video, ru using a video card? Bios?
          If you're not and it's onboard you should be able to run ok, make sure it's not something obvious like a cable, bad monitor, etc.
          Second it's usually a hardware issue, look in crucial.com and make sure you have the right memory installed, if it's pc100 make sure you have that, an old Duron should be pc100-133.
          Third PSU, try to use another atx supply.
          Fourth, it's crap! Sorry.
          08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

Originally posted by MobiTekLink.com
            make sure you have the right memory installed, if it's pc100 make sure you have that, an old Duron should be pc100-133.
            in the ebay auction it states it uses DDR, not regular SDRAM.
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

so make sure its the right ddr mem, then...
              look here for typical bios issues http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9
              if you ever get to see bios, that is...
              08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

thanks for all your replies. I just called tech support and found out that I wasn't plugging in the second power connection (the square one). I ordered a new power supply which has one. Hopefully it get here early next week. Thanks all. I'll keep u posted on the result.
                --------
                mykolJay
                99 Accord coupe

Comment

Working...
                X