general noobish questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general noobish questions

Well I've got an old celly 466mhz pc sitting around (slot 1) that I want to put into my car.

I know how to wire all the computer gear fine. only two things have got me stumped because I've never really worked that much with car audio before.

1. Sound. Will I need to get an amp, or can I just run it to the head deck for some ampage?

2. Powering the computer. whats better, to get a DC/AC adapter. or just a DC/DC power supply?

and for of a cenus kind of thing, what do people prefer to use. 2.5" HDDs? or 3.5" HDDS?

Cheers!

Originally posted by ninjageek
    1. Sound. Will I need to get an amp, or can I just run it to the head deck for some ampage?
    Only if your head unit has AUX In.

2. Powering the computer. whats better, to get a DC/AC adapter. or just a DC/DC power supply?
    DC-Dc is defintitely better, but lots of people use inverters.

You really need to search around. All this has been rehashed repeatedle.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You have a couple of options.
      1. install an amp
      2. use the aux in of your standard head unit
      3. if your head unit is capable of driving a cd changer, you can most probably convert this to an aux input (this is what i've done)
      4. use an FM transmitter. Low quality sound, but also low hassle.

I got a DC/DC, since the one i got will handle startup and shutdown and also manage the over and undervoltages you're bound to get in your car.
      Also i tought it would be rater stupid to go from 12V -> 220V -> 12V

and for of a cenus kind of thing, what do people prefer to use. 2.5" HDDs? or 3.5" HDDS?
      a lot of people go with 3.5" ... I still have my doubts, but i'll give it a go and see if it crashes. If it does you'll prolly see a thread poping up soon.
      '03 BMW 320d (E46)
      Carputer progress : [#----------]
      Gathering information ... currently using my phone connected through BT as carputer
      '99 BMW Z3 coupe 2.8
      Carputer progress : [-----------]
      No work done yet

Comment

I used a 3.5", so I can keep recycling drives through my different systems (main, HTPC, CarPC, etc).

3.5": More power, bigger, more heat, cheaper & more ubiquitous.
        2.5": Less power, smaller, less heat, expensive, but may be more shock resistant.

You gotta do a search for "3.5 2.5" and you'll get lots of census results.
        You know you want to...Worklog
        Enjoying v1.0 since it's operational. Aaaawww yeah.
        Specs: Opus120; Epia M10k; 700IDT; GlobalSat BR-355; iGuidance 2.1 & IGMod; XM; Custom case.
        Witty one-liners currently quoted by (0001) mp3car.com forum member sigs.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I've started looking around for power supplys and converters.

It seems all I can get around here is convertors (damn country towns!)
          Well I've started building the stand for it out of 6mm Perspex and ripped out the middle fold down seat in the back of my car (1996 commodore VP acclaim... and the reason that car won't make much sence is because im australian) and bolted in some mounts for a removable mobo tray

Comment

Working...
          X