My setup - What else do I need

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My setup - What else do I need

I've been researching for days but there are so many information I get easily confused. Plus I don't know too much about electronics (besides computers) so it was hard to understand how to power things. Anyhow, this is my final design after endless research and was wondering if I can get opinions.

All I want is Navi, mp3 player, dvd player.

CARPC List
    Screen - $280 Lilliput 7" Touch Screen
    PC - $265 VIA EPIA M10000, 40GB 2.5" HD, 256MB DDR RAM
    Case - $155 Travla C134
    Dvd player - $48 Toshiba Slim DVD-ROM SD-C2732
    GPS Software - $90 iGuidance
    GPS Reciever - $65 BU-303 GPS receiver
    Power Invertor - $80 M1-ATX
    Front End - Free MediaCar
    Other Software - Free WinDVD and winamp
    Misc - $10 USB Hub

What else am I missing?
    Should I replace any of the component with something else (price is a factor, cheaper the better)?

Thanks everyone.

Nice start, here are my suggestions

1. change your case to the VOOM case ($80) or something that doesn't come with its own power supply. You are getting the M1-ATX, no need to blow an extra $80 on something that you are not going to use. (Note that the Voom is made for the MII, but I think that the M will fit just as well, but you should make sure)

2. DVD player, change that to a slot-load drive. Trust me on this one, much nicer without much (any?) more money.

3. make sure you have a way to connect to the speakers (through an Aux-in on your stereo or another way).

4. Various cables and connects (the cost of these adds-up if you don't plan your layout beforehand)
    Epia MII 10000 512MB RAM - 60 GB 2.5" Hard Drive -Opus 90 - Lilliput 7" Touchscreen - Panasonic 8123 Slotload DVD burner - PCMCIA USB2.0 Card - Rikaline 6010 GPS - PS2 Micro Keyboard

Comment

1. But the VoomPC case doesn't have a slot for the dvd-rom...
      2. Slot load costs more so I will pass
      4. What cables and connects would I need? I'm not sure about this part at all...

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gdawg
        1. But the VoomPC case doesn't have a slot for the dvd-rom...
        The DVD drive should be mounted where you can access it easily, somewhere in/on the dash.
        2. Slot load costs more so I will pass
        If thats your choice, then so be it. But its foolish logic for this type of project. If you can't afford to do it right the first time how can you afford to fix it later?
        4. What cables and connects would I need? I'm not sure about this part at all...
        Power to inverter/from inverter to comp. Audio from computer to your headunit. Video from comp to screen. There are more... draw a picture of your car on paper (looking from above) and then place your equipment (ex. PC in the trunk, screen in the dash, DVD drive...) then figure out what needs to be wired and where. Don't forget power and data cables.
        Spent so far: $1,755
        Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
        CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
        Don't mess with Texas.
        It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Working...
        X