Opus uses only 14 gauge?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus uses only 14 gauge?!

Received my Opus 150 today. I was surprised to see that the cables leading out of the Opus, to be wired to the battery, are only 14 gauge.

Normally, folks are suggesting using 8 or 10 gauge wire to the battery. WHat's the point of doing this is the Opus has a 14 g? You would join a 10g with a 14 g?

BTW, can I wire the Opus without any load, to measure the 12V 5V etc with my voltimeter? I just know some PSU don't like to be powered without a load!
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

Justintime: Most people use a thicker cable to stop voltage drops. Why lose 1.5 volts, when you just bought an efficient PSU? Be kind of a waste. Also helps survive crank.

Comment

I understand why thicker cables are better. But I thought you had to run the thick cable end-to-end.

Wouldn't joining a 14 g with a 10g defeat the purpose of having the thicker cable?!
      2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

Just use a distribution block, then you can use smaller guage on the opus side and larger gage on the battery side.

Comment

Originally posted by justintime
          I understand why thicker cables are better. But I thought you had to run the thick cable end-to-end.

Wouldn't joining a 14 g with a 10g defeat the purpose of having the thicker cable?!
          But he's right. Wouldn't the 14g negate the use of the 10g?
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

No. "Friction" in the wire is based on length. So, you get a .5 volt drop over your 4 gauge, that's 10 feet long (made up numbers). however, you get a .2 volt drop in the 6 inches of 14 gauge. alltogether for a .7 volt drop. Link of it as using a sewer. Your poop goes just as quick in the pipes in your house as they do in the main sewer. However, if the main sewer was a 4" twisty pipe, the poop slows down along the way. It's fine to have a section or two of it, there's no dramatic poop-velocity loss.

What y'all thinking of is amperage. A 14gauge wire will burn out first, if you push too much amperage into it.

Poop Metaphor bought to you by me.

Comment

There are two things to consider - maximum current capability and voltage drop.

Assuming you connect the 14ga to the 10ga, the maximum current that can be safely carried will be limited by the 14ga wire since its the smaller of the two. Your fuse at the battery needs to be sized according to that.

Voltage drop is a function of the current, the resistance of the wire per unit of length, and the length. (Volts drop = current x resistance/foot x feet of wire, for example) The larger 10ga wire will help here, since it has less resistance than the 14ga wire for the same length.

Comment

It makes more sense if you see the numbers. From my battery to the rear up down and through the sills and up to the boot took 15 foot.

Assuming a 15A load, if id have done that in 14AWG that would have a voltage drop of 1.4V, thats almost a volt and a half lost just to wire resistance.

However the same 15A load over 15 foot of 8AWG has just 0.3V drop.

See the difference now?

Comment

Ah yeah. That's right. Was forgetting about voltage drop over distance.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Comment

KyleYankan gets points for his poop metaphor.

OK, so as I understand it, I should still use a thick cable (8 or 10 g) for the rest of the run from the Opus to the battery. How are you guys connecting these two together? I know the fuse connector should go on the battery side, so that's of no use here. Do I need to use a distro block? Ignorant me, I would have soldered them together or something
                      2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

mine works ( about) 2 months + now

I have used 12 gauge, with opus 150; and it works great, hopefully i dont see any fires...
                        ----------------
                        04 Corolla

Modifications:
                        Upgrading pc 99%

Progress

Comment

Part of my problem is that this damn Opus came without a f&%$#@! manual. $200, and no manual? wtf.

I can't find one on their website either. I'm ****ed!!!
                          2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

I hate to do this to you since you have over 700 posts...but all this has been discussed before. For instance if you searched you would find the opus manual is on this very website.
                            http://www.mp3car.com/products/SFX_D...uide-Rev_C.pdf
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53523

Comment

There would be nothing wrong with simply soldering them together, as long as it is not a cold solder joint. But yes, . It has all been discussed in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X