Quicker Getting INTO Hibernation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicker Getting INTO Hibernation

I have searched and searched and all i can find are posts about getting out of hibernation quicker. I need to learn how to make it get into hibernation quicker. My carnetix shutdown controller has 2 settings 6 secs and 15 minutes. I want to keep it at 6 secs but the compter isnt getting into hibernation quick enough. I have a M10k, 512mb ram, Win XP Home

Originally posted by MikeyTampa
    I have searched and searched and all i can find are posts about getting out of hibernation quicker. I need to learn how to make it get into hibernation quicker. My carnetix shutdown controller has 2 settings 6 secs and 15 minutes. I want to keep it at 6 secs but the compter isnt getting into hibernation quick enough. I have a M10k, 512mb ram, Win XP Home
    Why do you want to keep it at 6 seconds. As soon as the computer goes into hibernate, the computer shuts down. So what if it has power for an extra 14.5 minutes. It isn't drawing anything. Plus, even if it were, 15 minutes of the computer completely on would do little, if anything, to your battery or car even with the ignition off.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
      Why do you want to keep it at 6 seconds. As soon as the computer goes into hibernate, the computer shuts down. So what if it has power for an extra 14.5 minutes. It isn't drawing anything. Plus, even if it were, 15 minutes of the computer completely on would do little, if anything, to your battery or car even with the ignition off.

Michael

See what I thought the 15 minute deal would do is set it to hibernate but not cold shutdown for 15 minutes but it just leaves it on and I am thinking it will do the same thing when it finally does shut it down it will still only give it a few seconds to shut down.

Comment

See what I thought the 15 minute deal would do is set it to hibernate but not cold shutdown for 15 minutes but it just leaves it on and I am thinking it will do the same thing when it finally does shut it down it will still only give it a few seconds to shut down.
        Perhaps you can explain in better detail exactly what you mean. Explain what you think happens, and what you want to happen. Try and be as specific as possible. Please add punctuation as well.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

It's only gonna be as fast as the write speed of your hard drive. Either get a faster hard drive or use less RAM. Unfortunately, there's not much to optimize in hibernation. It's too simple of a process.
          iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
          CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Ok heres what happened. When I first installed it it would get to hibernation quick enough and everything was fine. Every once and a while it would get caught and not get into hibernation.

Then for some reason my hibernation file was corrupted so I had to delete it so the computer could start. Ever since then it takes a lot longer to get into hibernation. I don't know what I could do...can I reinstall hibernation? Could I have a seperate program take over that function?

About the 15 minutes option. If the startup/shutdown controller sent a hibernation signal right away then it would be cool because it would have 14.5 minutes to get into hibernation. What 15 minutes really does is keep it on for 15 minutes after I leave the car so it's still going to send the turn off signal with only a few seconds left of the 15 minutes to be up.

SOOOOO I was wondering if there was anyhting to speed up hibernation. I thought maybe if I stripped the things that start up then it would be quicker getting into hibernation. But only 2 programs start...RR and Touchpad for my xenarc and it still takes a while to get into Hibernation.

Comment

well, they already mentioned ram and hdd. the only other option is to use Hibernate Once, Resume Many from XP Embedded (see the OS Optimization forums for more info). Basically you'd have to install and enable EWF on your system and then you would only hibernate once. when you turn the power off all you need to do is a normal shutdown.

but from what you're saying it sounds like your hdd is the culprit. maybe you need to run chkdsk and/or defrag?
              EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
              Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
              OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
              Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
              BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
              VoomPC 2

Comment

My laptop takes a bit to hibernate to. Like everyone says,all hibernation is writing your RAM to the HD.

Your HD is too slow for that much RAM. Either get a faster HD or less RAM.

Comment

From what I understand is your computer take too long to hibernate and the SDC cut power off before the hibernation process complete. For example: The SDC cut off power 30 seconds after it pushed the power button, and the PC takes 45 seconds to complete the hibernation process. The result is a currupted hibernation files.
                  Is there anyway you can extend the time the SDC cut off the power to let say 1 minute instead of 30 seconds?
                  Reduce RAM to 256MB to see if the PC going to hibernation any faster.
                  2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                  89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                  RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                  EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Which SDC are you using?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                      Which SDC are you using?

Michael
                      Carnetix 1260

The thing was it used to get into hibernation fine. Maybe 20 percent of the time it wouldn't make it. But now it doesn't even come close to making it ever!

Comment

I think as you install more applications, the OS's gonna use more RAM, making the hibernating process longer. Maybe you can try something like a RAM optimizer. It will slow down your system but it will make it use less RAM. Just a thought.
                        iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                        CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

I e-mailed Carnetix for you. Not sure why, I guess I was feeling "helpful"

Their response is in italics.

I ask because my computer seems to take a while to hibernate. I want to get the computer the ACPI signal, and then wait approximately a minute to make sure I have had a proper Hibernate file written, and then to lose power. Selecting a Shutdown Lockout Time of 90 seconds will allow sufficient time for hibernation to take place. The ACPI pulse will be sent, then a period of 90 seconds will elapse before power is removed.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                          X