HDTV Projectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTV Projectors

Since this is my favorite site around, and seems to have the MOST informed people, I thought I'd come here for help on a home theater system. I've looked at HD projectors that are extremely high priced, and thought I'd get your opinions on this set up: an hdtv video tuner in my computer coupled with a an older style projector supporting VGA but NOT HDTV input. The projector I'm looking at has 800x600 resolution, 750 lumens, all for $250. The HD receiver cost $100 and would give the added benefit of recording unencrypted (over the air) streams to your HardDrive. Are there any drawbacks in quality that would justify me spending the extra money? Can you see any problems I have overlooked? How feasible will this be when the firewire standard gets up and going? Thanks for your help!

Not a direct answer but I have an Infocus X1 and it's great, cost me about $800 about 18 months ago. My real reason for posting is if your budget will stretch you might want to check out todays woot on http://www.woot.com they have the ScreenPlay, (the updated X1) for $699 refurbushed.

Comment

That sounds good for $250 ... normally you see something like that around $900.

There ia also a way to make a projector yourself.
      I will have to look up the site, but I think it's Lumilab or something.
      Anyway, they have the plans and can source the lenses and diffusers etc ..
      You basically take a $200 flat panel display ( currently there is a project involving the lilliputs ) and you gut it except for the display itself.
      You put this in a custom box with a few lenses and a special bulb ( thats like $25 and last forever ) and you have a very high quality projector that will run longer than a retail one.
      The downsides of the retail units is that the bulbs don't last and they are very very expensive.

I plan on doing this a couple times ( 1 for bedroom, 1 for living room ) as I have many PCs with ATI AllInWonder tuner cards in them.
      all in all, if you use the BEST components, it's not supposed to run more than $400

I'll try to find link

Don

**** EDIT: the main projects involve Flat monitors (usually 15") that have the high resolution needed for HDTV.

Comment

here's one source

http://www.diyprojectorcompany.com/

** they do not charge for the plans either

** don't be fooled, these are not those " Game Projectors " seen on EvilBay

here's the other one :

http://www.lumenlab.com/

Comment

Just so you know... 800x600 is NOT High Definition.

HD starts with 720p which is a 1024x720 resolution.

-Jason

Comment

He is right for the specs on a HD Projector see the Panisonic AE700U for US Model, this is a true 720 HD Projector and probally the best you will get in the proce rang based on the reviews i checked before i purchased, i got mine for 1000euro and we dont even have HD in europe yet :-)
            P4 Celeron 2.2 - 512MB - OPUS 250 - Audigy SE - BU353 - HQCT - No Speakers though :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Rajay
              Just so you know... 800x600 is NOT High Definition.

HD starts with 720p which is a 1024x720 resolution.

-Jason
              Actually, it is 1280x720 [720*16/9=1280]

Chris

Comment

Most projectors even though they have a native resolution of 800x600 can show HD very well. I've been watching hdtv from an OTA receiver on my BenQ 6100 for a year now.

Comment

Working...
                X