Proc problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proc problem

Word on the street is that you have to reinstall windoes if the HT property in bios is switched from on to off. Does it still apply if the mb/proc is switched? Basically, I went from an asus board with a 2.8 P4 HT to a biostar board with a 2400+ XP-M. Now it won't boot windows, it gets to the safe mode menu and restarts immediatly afterward. Ideas?
    Nero

Car: 99 Civic Coupe EX

2400+ XP-M, Biostar M7NCG400 board, Holux GPS, 512DDR, 700TS, Infinity Kappa 6.5 components and 6x9ís,12W6V2, Kenwood amp, Excelon 889 HU.

UPDATE: Fixed the GPS, just upgraded to iG 2.1.

Originally posted by Nero2007
    Word on the street is that you have to reinstall windoes if the HT property in bios is switched from on to off. Does it still apply if the mb/proc is switched? Basically, I went from an asus board with a 2.8 P4 HT to a biostar board with a 2400+ XP-M. Now it won't boot windows, it gets to the safe mode menu and restarts immediatly afterward. Ideas?
    You should always doa clean install of Windoze if you're changing either motherboard, CPU or both.

Not surprising that Windows won't boot, especially if it's 2000/XP.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yeah, sorry to not mention that...it's XP SP2.
      Nero

2400+ XP-M, Biostar M7NCG400 board, Holux GPS, 512DDR, 700TS, Infinity Kappa 6.5 components and 6x9ís,12W6V2, Kenwood amp, Excelon 889 HU.

Comment

get the windows cd and boot from it.. then during the installation you can tell it to repair a existing installation... that will fix it
        Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Originally posted by strohj
          get the windows cd and boot from it.. then during the installation you can tell it to repair a existing installation... that will fix it
          It should fix it.
          I've been down this road before and had it blow up in my face, causing me to re-install Windoze from scratch anyway. Personally, I don't trust it.

Oh, if you do the repair from the Windoze CD and you're able to get booted back into Windows, you will need to install all the motherboard-specific drivers & utilities for the new motherboard, as well.
          How about the Wiki?

Comment

so what changes as a result of going from HT to non HT? drivers? registry changes?
            Nero

Comment

it has to do with the processor type in windows...thats what changes...

as far as drivers you will have to install.. it might only have to be onboard sound etc for who you need drivers...
              Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

I know the processor type changes...but there has to be something that specifies the processor type...does a registry entry specify it? does a driver specify it? I'm asking cause then maybe I could get in there, change whatever needs changing and then boot it back up with the XP-M/Biostar.
                Nero

Comment

go to device manager.. and expand the computer node... Unfortunately I cannot tell you how to change it really.. sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Nero2007
                    I know the processor type changes...but there has to be something that specifies the processor type...does a registry entry specify it? does a driver specify it? I'm asking cause then maybe I could get in there, change whatever needs changing and then boot it back up with the XP-M/Biostar.
                    Trust me.
                    Reinstall Windows. You'll save yourself lots of stress and possibly an ulcer or two.
                    How about the Wiki?

Comment

I hear you...I've never had any luck with that restore feature. I reinstalled today. Would've worked great if I had a decent power setup...I need opus.
                      Nero

Comment

Working...
                      X