Well.. its reformat time.. but how?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well.. its reformat time.. but how?

Well i've got some strange usb issues goin on that cant be solved by removing the drivers so its time to reformat my Epia 800. How are you guys reformatting without a floppy drive tho? Can i just pop in my windows xp cd? i've got the upgrade edition not the full install but i have 98 that i can load on first if need be. I know i've seen the option to format the drive thru the cd but i'd hate to use that option, reboot, then be stuck with no way to load the new os. Can anyone shed some light?
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

I don't know about how to install an upgrade but i do know that you don't need a floppy drive to do it.
    I'm assuming the easiest way would be to to put the upgrade cd in first, select re-install and follow the on screen instructions.
    2Fast's Tumbleweed - Spag bol's Tumbleweed - 2Fast's site

Comment

Not sure how the XP upgrade works... Try just putting the CD in and booting from that, and see if it'll let you do a full reinstall. Sometimes they just ask for the original disc you're upgrading from as verification.

Make sure you go into the BIOS and set it so it'll try to boot from the CDRom before the Harddrive.

Comment

I have a USB 2.0 Floppy drive that I am selling for $20/obo + shipping, if interested. Check my sig for link to thread. As you can see everyone that I've done business with is happy with the results.

Peace,

Rafster
        Post # 3000

Comment

Put XP CD in drive.
          Boot from CD.
          Select install etc.
          You'll be required to insert your 98 CD at some point to verify the upgrade installation.

I'd recommend you format and reinstall if you are having problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Enak
            Put XP CD in drive.
            Boot from CD.
            Select install etc.
            You'll be required to insert your 98 CD at some point to verify the upgrade installation.

I'd recommend you format and reinstall if you are having problems.
            That's what i meant
            2Fast's Tumbleweed - Spag bol's Tumbleweed - 2Fast's site

Comment

got it done.. didnt even need to use the 98 disc. Just popped in the upgrade cd, rebooted with it and installed. It gave me the option to quick format to NTFS and didnt even need a reboot or anything before it started installing windows. Microsoft did somethin right for once!
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

That's because it detected the previous Windows installation as being a valid version. If you were formatting and installing over the top of say, Linux, or a fresh drive, you would need your Win98 disk.
                "Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."
                Joel 2:32

Comment

Working...
                X