No announcement yet.

"whittled the list down today"

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "whittled the list down today"

After some tense deliberation the secret voices have finally seemed to settle on the majority of parts for my next car PC install. I still have some bugs to work out (e.g. exact power requirements, input devices etc.) but for the most part I think its all good to go. What is considered thus far:

-= 7" Xenarc (700TSV)
    -= MSI RS480M-IL Socket 754 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Micro ATX
    -= AMD Mobile Athlon 64 3400+ (62W)
    -= OCZ Premier Series 1GB DDR
    -= WD1200JB (120GB 3.5" HDD)
    -= Pioneer DVR-K05 (Slim dual layer burning) <--- Inside USB eclosure
    -= Opus 150w PSU rates me at 142w with these components plus 4 <unknown> USB devices at 100% utilization. I figure that gives me some room to play with input devices, GPS, WI-FI and anything else I think of along the way. That power rating is based on my plan to power both the Xenarc and the disk drive separately from the Opus to reduce its load. Total cost at this point is estimated $840 and unless anyone can think of any potential oversights or problems I will start getting this stuff shipped in the next few days.

Wow, the encouragement is overwhelming

Why the big HDD and dual-layer DVD-R/RW?

I've got most of my components gathered and connected on a workbench. I'm waiting on the OBD-II software and cable, which should arrive in the next day or two.

Anyway, I'm using a 40 GB 2.5" HDD and a Panasonic slot-loading DVD-ROM/CD-R/RW. I'm not sure I'll ever burn any discs in the car, and my music collection is less than 10 GB, so I didn't think I needed the bigger, higher-capacity components.

I will be putting the DVD drive in a slim external enclosure, too, since it will be sitting on top of my mobo in the center console.
      2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
      CarPC Status: As of 03 Jan., 2006 - installed & running!

Epia MII-10000
      512 MB RAM
      Lilliput 7" LCD
      Toshiba 40GB HDD
      Panasonic Slim slot-loading DVD
      Holux GPS w/ iGuidance
      XM PCR

I'll be wholly impressed if you get all that working with an Opus 150w.
        I don't think it will happen, even with the Mobile Athlon64. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

The 120GB HDD seemed like the most logical choice for me because I already own it. I have a 120, a 200, a 45, a 35, and a 10 (out of my Xbox). my mp3 collection is just under 40GB not to mention movies and such that will be on there. Besides its cheaper overall to replace that drive in my main computer than to buy one specifically for the car (newegg has wd3200jb's for $150-$25 rebate... thats $.39 a gig)

The dual layer burner is just another cost vs. benefit factor. I can get the Pioneer DVR-K05 for just under $90. maybe up to twice as much as I would spend on a regular drive but I will never be for want of options with it. I would rather spend a small amount more now than wish I had 3 months from now.

I am hoping that the Opus will be enough. I like the idea of having everything in one package (startup, shutdown etc.) but I am definately up for suggestions. Like I said, the Xenarc and DVD drive will be powered separately to reduce its workload but as you said Darque, I hope so too. Seems there are a lot of nice solutions in the works for power, but I can't wait any longer to get this going.

I would trim back processor spec, 3400 is a bit "WHOAAA"
   - The UK's best modified car club (With lots of 16/17/18 year olds for scouse to abuse)

I just ran the numbers using instead a Mobile Athlon 2600+ and a MSI RS480M-IL motherboard. That would save me $124. I would lose the extra FSB and CPU speed and SATA support though; and those are options I don't want to lock myself out of at this point if the only reason to do so would be to lower the power requirements. there are always ways to get more power.