new idea, i think

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new idea, i think

ok i'm pretty sure this might have come up before but i wasn't clever enough to use the correct search keywords and didn't find anything, so here it goes

I was thinking today that maybe it'd be possible to run a 2 battery setup but only using one battery for the carputer. but wait! if you thinking WOW what a newb and better next time, keep reading .

instead of hooking the 2 batteries to the carputer and having a switch between the two, have only one connected to the computer (which is a deep cycle) and have the PSU connected straight to the alternator and then having a switch or a relay based on ignition status. this would be useful for 2 reasons
    1. no drain on the starter battery so you always have a good charged battery so your not left stranded on a good night of partying
    2. save yourself gas not having to idle the car with the puter on

i'm not sure what kind of problems you might have with connecting straight to an alternator like spikes in energy production, because i'm pretty sure it doesn't produce 12V constant. a psu might be able to play with the current like opus's do. but based off what an alternator site says it might be possible.
    Originally posted by http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/energy/Alternator/alternator.htm
    "When modified, auto alternators can provide variable direct current at 0 to 120 volts for battery charging, hot charging, light arc welding, or for running AC-DC appliances and lights."
    tell me what you guys think
    2008 Civic... Sound system... then carputer install...
    WORK IN PROGRESS

If you look at my avatar closely, you can see a chick with two big knockers....

when you say PSU, you do mean power supply, right? cause im confused about how you would connect a carputer to the battery, but the power supply to the alternator....

And a dual battery setup does exactly what you are proposing--you hook up the carputer to the second battery and it only drains that one. The batteries are ISOLATED. When you turn the car on, the alternator powers the carputer and at the same time charges both batters.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I think Wizard is right. You're talking about something called a battery isolator.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

yeah you guys got it i just didn't know what the name of this type of thing was called, thanks!
        WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

I just read over that site and it doesn't really seem to be the thing i was looking for, although it does serve the same purpose. What i'm talking about is 2 battery setup, but instead of overcomplicating things with solenoids and diodes you could use a relay that monitors ignition status and has the alternator connected (not going through the battery) to it and the dedicated battery also connected to it. Once the ignition goes cold then the dedicated battery powers the PSU (power supply unit) until the battery is dead since you'll have to be recharging it anyways. Once the ignition goes hot then power the PSU with the alternator. It doesn't need to control the voltage of the current because the PSU will be doing that ex: OPUS or m1-atx

all you would need in the end is a switch that controls if you want the computer on or not in either ignition status.
          WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
            I think Wizard is right. You're talking about something called a battery isolator.
            yea that is it.

Why is this not in newbie forum???
            Core duo
            1tb harddrive
            256 ddr
            8 lilliput
            bu-353

still installing...

Comment

Originally posted by 84RegalRider
              yea that is it.

Why is this not in newbie forum???
              because this isn't based on switches like it has it on the bcae site and its a hardware idea and i wasn't asking for information i was asking for feedback on an idea that just sparked out of nowhere.
              WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

Originally posted by CornToeGoblin
                You setup has a major flaw IMO and that is if the Relay switches from teh Deep Cycle Battery to the Alternator you PSU is gonna loose power for a very short period of time, but it is gonna be enough to shut it off and your PC will be off :P

Correct me if I am wrong
                Lilliput 7" TS TFT, ASRock K7VM2, Duron 1,3 GHz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 30 GB Seagate HDD @ 5.400 rpm, WLAN w/ 500mW booster, Toshiba Slimline DVD-ROM Drive, D-Link USB Radio

Download the German Voicepack 1.0 for FreeDrive now!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeve5
                  You setup has a major flaw IMO and that is if the Relay switches from teh Deep Cycle Battery to the Alternator you PSU is gonna loose power for a very short period of time, but it is gonna be enough to shut it off and your PC will be off :P

Correct me if I am wrong
                  i agree with you and that could probably be fixed by adding an adequately sized capacitor that is charged when either of the power sources is being used.
                  WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

Originally posted by CornToeGoblin
                    i agree with you and that could probably be fixed by adding an adequately sized capacitor that is charged when either of the power sources is being used.
                    Yepp, AFAIK a cheapass 1F Cap from eBay would do the trick. However I highly suggest that you look into something called a tank circuit. I use it in my CarPC setup and it works like a charm and basically does the same as you suggested just better IMO
                    Lilliput 7" TS TFT, ASRock K7VM2, Duron 1,3 GHz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 30 GB Seagate HDD @ 5.400 rpm, WLAN w/ 500mW booster, Toshiba Slimline DVD-ROM Drive, D-Link USB Radio

Download the German Voicepack 1.0 for FreeDrive now!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeve5
                      Yepp, AFAIK a cheapass 1F Cap from eBay would do the trick. However I highly suggest that you look into something called a tank circuit. I use it in my CarPC setup and it works like a charm and basically does the same as you suggested just better IMO
                      Tank circuits don't do what i intend to use them for. What i want is a solution to battery drain so that i don't have to push start the car (don't you love standard?) if and when i drain my battery. The time gap between the switches would probably be very small and such a large capacitor wouldn't be needed. Again this is just an idea that i got, not sure if it'll work but i think it has potential of working. but people are always wrong about things so i don't want to say it'l absolutely work.
                      WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

Ok maybe i'm retarded or I just havent had enough coffee yet,

but the isolator is going to be a much simplier way of running 2 batteries in your car, your talking about relays and caps which sounds like it's getting complicated. The isolator is going to keep the computer from draining your primary battery but also let your alternator charge the secondary battery while the car is running. Which from your first post sounds exactly like what you want to do, it just has the advantage that you dont have to worry about a relay causing your machine to shutdown.
                        肚子笑痛了
                        S60 Install

Comment

Are you proposing to have a relay switch the power to the PSU from the second battery to the alternator on ignition? Or to simply connect the alternator to the second battery on igintion?

If the former, then how does the second battery get charged?

If the latter, it's not a new idea. I have that setup in my car. My computer and stereo etc. are all connected to the second battery. When the ignition is on a relay connects the two batteries so that the alternator is charging both and powering the computer etc. at the same time. It's been covered before.

Rob.

Comment

yeah, all your doing with the relay is switching the connection between the carpc/dedicated battery with the cars battery/alternator system. Not a big deal. Your pc will not drop out when the relay switchs over because its maintains its connection to the dedicated battery either way so no cap is needed. This sounds like a cool idea, thats quick and cheap to do. In my setup I have a tank battery along with a tank circuit, so the car dosent drain the tank battery. To prevent draining of either I use that EZPro 1.5 power controller thingy. Works like a charm and does other useful things. I will always be able to drive home from a long party...

Comment

Originally posted by JPuma
                              yeah, all your doing with the relay is switching the connection between the carpc/dedicated battery with the cars battery/alternator system. Not a big deal. Your pc will not drop out when the relay switchs over because its maintains its connection to the dedicated battery either way so no cap is needed. This sounds like a cool idea, thats quick and cheap to do. In my setup I have a tank battery along with a tank circuit, so the car dosent drain the tank battery. To prevent draining of either I use that EZPro 1.5 power controller thingy. Works like a charm and does other useful things. I will always be able to drive home from a long party...
                              that's exactly what i'm talking about. i'm not sure if its a relay that has been made before but this is what i've been talking about. where can i find the EZPro power controller, a google search turns out a freakin porjector
                              WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

Working...
                              X