Cooling idea, comments please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling idea, comments please?

I am in the planning stages of a Carputer install, just getting the bits together before doing the build.

I have been thinking about heat, of late, the main reason is that I have a large number of Audio amps in my boot (5) to support my existing audio install so things can/will get a little warm.

I am planning on mounting the motherboard and other components in an MDF box with a couple of fans to move the air through, this will be on the end of one of the new amp racks that I am planning on building.

A couple of the amps that I have, have huge heatsinks mounted on them, which got me thinking... what about mounting a large heatsink in the top of the box, the fans will provide air flow, but the heatsink should help disipate additional heat, although the heatsink will not be connected to any components it will have its underside exposed to the inside of the box.

I have attached a picture of what I mean, to make things clearer.

What are peoples thoughts?

Cheers

- Paul
    Attached Files

To be brutally honest...waste of time.

Your cooling performance of a heatsink is proportional to the surface area, conductance, air flow and too a small degree radiation performance.

Getting heat away from the heatsink is fine as you have fans and fins but on the inside you are relying purely on the hot air rising to the top of the case and then conducting into the heatshink through a pretty crap surface area as it is flat.

You would be best just using a top blow hole with a fan blowing out (use baffles to stop crap falling in) and have some intakes at the bottom - again baffle/filter them with mesh. The best way to do your design would be to have fins inside too btu i still doubt it's effectiveness or my route would be to use heat pipes from components to the heatisnk(s) around the outside if you want a fulley enclosed case.

On another note I grew up in Bebington which you should know of

Comment

heres an idea.....:-))

replace cpu heatsink with a aluminium block drilled to take small pipe fittings. have anotheer mounted on your heatsink. mount the heatsink so that as you drive it is in the air flow. circulate liquid in the two blocks via pipes and small pump. just like overclockers.

just joking but at least it would work. but your idea wont work as there is no direct thermal connection to your heatsink and if the boot is going to be hot as you suggest it might actually work in the opposite direction and conduct heat into your box.....
      Volvo V40 Phase 2 2002. T4 turbo upgrade.... currently no mp3 or carputer..... researching options

Comment

Originally posted by spud42
        heres an idea.....:-))

replace cpu heatsink with a aluminium block drilled to take small pipe fittings. have anotheer mounted on your heatsink. mount the heatsink so that as you drive it is in the air flow. circulate liquid in the two blocks via pipes and small pump. just like overclockers.

just joking but at least it would work..
        So first you steal my idea and then you call it a joke !?
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=phaseplane

I'm going to do just that, but instead of watercooling, I'm using heatpipes.

/M

Comment

Small world Paul......

Comment

Working...
          X