heavy wattage cpu ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heavy wattage cpu ?

My carpc setup is inverter to mains pc psu.

It seems I am pulling about 14 amps so wheres it all going!

thats about 165 watts.

My cpu is an old athlon amd clocked at 100*11 = 1100MHz.

Will I really save much power if I change the cpu ?
    I have looked through the threads and it seems to all laptop chips are favourite.

I guess my chip would flattena alptop battery in a minute.

If laptop chips do take less power, do they offer less performance at the same speed.

Should I ditch the MB and go intel?
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

unless i am mistaken a inverter will always pull the smae power even if nothing is hooked to it

Comment

The inverter will,you should look out the psu output and that will tell you how much power your pc is using.... Thats one problem with using an inverter.

Comment

No sorry, a 12v dc to mains ac inverter will 'pull power' as the load on its mains side increases, with the PC off the inverter 'pulls' about 200ma.

I often wonder where all this urban folklore comes from, its a shame because it makes people often make the wrong decisions.

Both of you would probably never buy an inverter even if one was what you needed because of this myth, you should find whoever told you these uninformed lies and smack em in the mouth.

Sorry for ranting but I really hate to see people told mis-information, its not your fault, its whoever told you.

Comment

lez, I'm right there with you. Guys, it's called "conservation of energy": (Input power) == (Output power + inefficiencies).

Getting back on topic, the old Athlons are very inefficient, they draw lots of power. You can save on power usage by declocking the CPU or going with a more efficient chip. An Intel has a low power draw, especially the celeron line (the lower the FSB the less power draw).

IMO going with a laptop cpu is overkill. As you can see in my sig, I'm going with a P3-733, and it works for me just fine. I have plenty of power for music and nav (reroutes very fast) and i don't need a huge *** heatsink and loud fan to keep it steadily cool.

-psyrex
          Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
          Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
          Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
          Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
          ...it never ends

Comment

Originally posted by psyrex
            lez, I'm right there with you. Guys, it's called "conservation of energy": (Input power) == (Output power + inefficiencies).
            -psyrex
            Well, yes and no. The thing is, in inverters the inefficiency portion of your little equation is not a constant, and varies with output power. And while the whole "inverters always consume the same power" is a myth, it's not thermodynamically inconcievable - if the inefficiency was (max - output), than input power would indeed be constant at max.

In practice, inverters tend to have their peak efficiency around 2/3 peak power. Check out the power/efficiency curve for your specific inverter if you can.

In any case, the process of DC to AC (inverter) and back to DC (PSU) tends to be very inefficient, so that's where alot of your power consumption is going. It may be as low as 50%. This is one of the reasons many people go with DC-DC PSUs.

Comment

Right ok with you here, and I agree the power loss will be greater the more I draw, the 200ma lost at standby is probably an amp at the top of its range but.......

I dont think I'm losing 50%, my meter will do 20amp ac/dc so I will measure the mains AC current draw later and see if it ties in with the 14 amp when on dc, then we will have an answer for an average dc-ac-dc setup.
              ( I will also measure the inverter ac amps, se if its different from true ac amps)

I still dont want to go DC-DC, I like the nice warm safe feeling I get from using a standard PSU.

Now the CPU....

I have found the amd to stutter a few times on xvid / dvd playback, esp if doing other things, so what would be a better choice.

I dont mind changing mb's to get it right, I dont know about p3's except they dont get hot really, I had one machine I serviced at a customers, the heatsink had detached and it was still running fine, must have been that way for weeks.

It was an old slot 1 p3, are the socket ones better / worse.

Comment

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_sup...or.php?cmd=AMD

well this gives a good guide line as to where the power goes.

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                  I still dont want to go DC-DC, I like the nice warm safe feeling I get from using a standard PSU.
                  Well you should do, thats where much of the extra power is going - heat.

Not only have you got inefficencies in the inverter, also (unless its a hight spec model) you have the same inefficiencies going on in any cheap psu... by the time you get to powering your system youve lost (possibly) half your power.

Comment

Wow, my home PC only uses 259W. Why the hell do I have this 500W PSU???

Peace,

Rafster
                    Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster
                      Wow, my home PC only uses 259W. Why the hell do I have this 500W PSU???

Peace,

Rafster
                      Thinking the same thing, but I'm pulling 310watts and using a 450 Watt PS. Damn I hate having 7 fans.
                      Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                      Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                      Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                      CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                      NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

I once had an old case but I built my new (back then) system into it and the usb ports would not work, they would 'drop out' evey 5 minutes or so with a mouse, and photo printing was impossible.

Took Mb back and guy said what cpu are you running, 1400 athlon I said, what PSU? 200w amstrad I said. (amstrad is a uk brand-name at the lower end of the market, but I like em)

Made me buy an expensive 300w psu, only to have same fault, then they changed the mb. Still woudnt give me a refund on the psu I never needed, so I sold it on and still used the old 200w for about another year til I bought a larger case for my growing number of hard drives.

I still have not decided on a a new cpu, I want to be able to run dvd (powerdvd?) or xvids in media player and still have enough cpu left to run mapmonkey in frodo without the machine stuttering.

The athlon clocked at 1100 is ok for this most of the time, but I am wondering now if a p3 800-1ghz would work just as well for less heat, but then I also need to change the MB

Comment

Working...
                        X