Reliability issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliability issues

I am having troubles with my carputer having unexpected restarts and sometimes having troubles booting into windows(gets to windows startup screen then restarts)
    I have a strong suspicion it is the power supply.
    It is running
    M1-ATX power supply
    Mini ATX motherboard 256mb DDR ram
    AMD K7 1800xp
    3.5" 40gb IDE HD
    USB touchscreen(not powering the actuall screen just the touch part of it)
    D-Link USB FM radio
    802.11g Wireless Card
    PCI 5.1 sound card

I don't think it is the wiring, i am running 12 GA wire to it the M1-ATX.

Should I be looking at another power supply? or maybe switch to an ITX system?

Originally posted by a4jet
    I am having troubles with my carputer having unexpected restarts and sometimes having troubles booting into windows(gets to windows startup screen then restarts)
    I have a strong suspicion it is the power supply.
    It is running
    M1-ATX power supply
    Mini ATX motherboard 256mb DDR ram
    AMD K7 1800xp
    3.5" 40gb IDE HD
    USB touchscreen(not powering the actuall screen just the touch part of it)
    D-Link USB FM radio
    802.11g Wireless Card
    PCI 5.1 sound card

I don't think it is the wiring, i am running 12 GA wire to it the M1-ATX.

Should I be looking at another power supply? or maybe switch to an ITX system?
    You definitely have a power issue. According to this power calculator, you're drawing over 150w. The M1-ATX is rated for 90w.
    I'd be willing to bet that if you traded up to an Opus 150w PSU, you'd be right as rain, although possibly still pushing it. Underclock the CPU or swap with an Athlon XP-M, and you'd be right as rain, without some oracle giving you a cookie.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yikes, no wonder it is unreliable lol, looks like i'll have to fork out for an opus.
      Or maybe I can find an oracle that can give me a cookie.

I might even switch over to a laptop drive that should use less power aswell.

Comment

Yikes, no wonder it is unreliable lol, looks like i'll have to fork out for an opus.

I don't think that just switching to a laptop HDD will be enough reduction in power to alleviate your problems.
        Switching t the Opus is probably your best bet. Check out the store here.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Just get a M10000 or the like and be done with it
          You dont need an Athlon XP in a car, just wasting power
          2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

m1atx power

I have an M1ATX driving an Epia SP13000 and a laptop drive. It didn't take long to realize that it was a really good idea to drive my Lilliput LCD from the M1ATX as well, and I thought, while I was at it, I'd also use the M1ATX to power my external 300G firewire drive, so I went spec hunting...

The M1ATX will provide 2A on the 12V line, so that's what we've got to work with.

The SP13000 draws a very meager 0.2A on the 12V line, and the laptop drive doesn't draw anything on 12V. The Lilliput draws about 0.6A, so now we're up to 0.8A, giving us 1.2A to play with. Unfortunately, the 300G drive draws 1.5A, so while it *might* work, it's certainly out of spec.

Your K7 is going to draw a *lot* more on the 12V line than the Epia, so you're already *way* out of spec not even considering the rest of the peripherals you've got in there.

-p.

Comment

Yeh i was thinking of getting an opus and a laptop drive, considering i am at 152W with that power calculator.
              I have a dvd rom that i would like to power as well on top of what is already there. So i would be pushing 170W!!! lol

Does somebody know how my system is even running? If the M1 can only provide 90W max then it would max out very easily.

Laptop drive draws off the 5V line which can carry 10A or something like that.

I am differnatley leaning towards an ITX system, using my original M1-ATX, like aoLhaTer said an athlon is only wasting power, i only use it too listen to music and the occasional movie an ITX system is more than adequate for that.
              So if i only have a DVD rom and the HD running of the 12V line, 2A is plenty enough to run that. Then everything else is runs on 5v and 3.3V line

Comment

Yeh i was thinking of getting an opus and a laptop drive, considering i am at 152W with that power calculator.
                I have a dvd rom that i would like to power as well on top of what is already there. So i would be pushing 170W!!! lol

Does somebody know how my system is even running? If the M1 can only provide 90W max then it would max out very easily.

Laptop drive draws off the 5V line which can carry 10A or something like that.

I am differnatley leaning towards an ITX system, using my original M1-ATX, like aoLhaTer said an athlon is only wasting power, i only use it too listen to music and the occasional movie an ITX system is more than adequate for that.
                So if i only have a DVD rom and the HD running of the 12V line, 2A is plenty enough to run that. Then everything else is runs on 5v and 3.3V line
                Well if you switched to a athalon xp mobile chip, and went down to a laptop HD, and useed a slim (read laptop style) dvd drive, you probably would not have problems with the 90W.

The Vias IMHO are crap for what they cost.

Peace,

Rafster
                Post # 3000

Comment

Working...
                X