Will a P3 650 lappie hold its own?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a P3 650 lappie hold its own?

Wow, do i jump back and forth. Right now I have 4 (count them 1, 2, 3, 4) computers i'm playing with as a car PC.

P4 2.4 mATX
    AMD 1.4 matx
    AMD 2.6 m mAtx
    and a 650 P3 gateway lappie

So far I have determined the p4 will do what i want and then some. Its just power hungry and overkill. So i placed it in my house as a secondary machine.

The 1.4 is doing pretty well and would make an excellent carpc. Problem is the case. All are too big for what I want.

But I keep coming back to my graduate school laptop. It just seems like a great way to do everything, plus its small and I can mount it on the back of my seat, so will a P3 650 hold its own? Will it play DVDs, play MP3s and navigation software (256 megs of ram, could always get more). Problems here are hard drive size and what can be added on.

I have noticed that people say 800 mhz is barely feasible with what they do (Via boards).

Regardless, when i find a system I like, The others will be up for sale.
    Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

I've found 600mhz can do the trick, I use 900 right now.

honestly I feel anything over 2ghz is overkill, all we are talking about is, a front end, GPS, and music, maybe some wifi. get a guide on tuning windows XP to sue less resources and it will pep up just fine. true it might not be as responzive as a 3.4ghz pentium IV but big deal, if it works fairly well and YOU'RE happy, then do it. and that's what it comes down to, what are you HAPPY with.

cheers, and happy hacking
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Sounds like you've got all the info you need to answer your own question. Build the rig with the slowest hardware and see how it suits your needs. If it fails, keep stepping up til you find what works. Just go with velcro attachment, invertor power with manual shartup/shutdown while you are testing. When you are happy with the system, *then* drive into doing the finish work on the install.

-p.

Comment

why dont you just build your own little custom case for the 1.4? if you believe its a perfect card pc than make it work! and im sorry but i believe using a laptop that still has a good lcd screen on it as your car pc is a waste of a good computer. if the lcd was broken than id say its perfect. but always remember go with the more options NOW because like we all know the project is NEVER done. i say go with the p4 or the 1.4. good luck
        i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

screen is fubared from a drop. Battery is dead on it. Its presently hooked up to my TV in the living room.

Custom case may be the way.
          Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

I think a p3 650 would be fine. I have a laptop with a 700 celeron 192 megs ram. it runs xp fairly well, plays dvds, a little sluggish on gps apps, but not bad. I primarily use ubuntu linux on it now and that runs great.
            System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

My 600E P3 doing fine. No choppy with Winamp VIS.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by Will Albers
                But I keep coming back to my graduate school laptop. It just seems like a great way to do everything, plus its small and I can mount it on the back of my seat, so will a P3 650 hold its own? Will it play DVDs, play MP3s and navigation software (256 megs of ram, could always get more). Problems here are hard drive size and what can be added on.

I have noticed that people say 800 mhz is barely feasible with what they do (Via boards).
                Well, also remember that the Via boards don't have that much cache, etc... I ran just iguidance on a PII366 Laptop running WinXP with 256MB PC66 RAM.

It ran decently, so, I think that your lappy will do just fine. Just set WinXP to Classic mode for less RAM usage. My PII366 is up and running in less than 25 seconds.

If your not happy with the performance of the Gateway, go with the 1.4. That will defenitely be fast enough.

Peace,

Rafster
                Post # 3000

Comment

hell i used to run a 200mhz (yes, two hundred megahertz) pc w/ 16mb ram and had NO issues with it in the car. then again, all it was running was winamp as the win9x shell, and no video - not even an lcd on the paralell port.

my next one is gonna be a 300mhz with 64mb ram. will have a screen in the glovebox for when i need to look at maps, but otherwise only display will be a character lcd on the paralell port. i lack the dashboard real estate to have a true vga screen permanently mounted. just one of the drawbacks of having a small car!
                  Previous: CamryAmp 1.0 - 95 Camry SE V6 Coupe (sold)
                  Current: CamryAmp 2.0 - 98 Camry CE V6 5spd (still bench-testing)

Comment

Working...
                  X