Final Checks For My Carputer Purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Checks For My Carputer Purchase

ok, im still new here, but ive been reading these forums for days and days on end (when it works... it seems to be offline for 12 hours of the day everyday). Here is the components i want to buy for my setup. Im in australia, i just want you guys to make sure it's adequate, and i havent forgoten anything

i'll be removing my current Double Din Headunit in my 2001 subaru liberty (AKA Legacy). this is currently the "Amp" for the speakers, so removing this i need to buy some amp thingy.. I have 3 empty dins:

Carputer:
    1) NEW 2005 Lilliput VGA Touchscreen.. ($391 AUD)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lilliput-7-To...QQcmdZViewItem

2) Gigabyte 8I865GVMK All in one Motherboard: micro ATX ($90 AUD)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GIGABYTE-GA-8...QQcmdZViewItem
    this has VGA inbuilt, SATA, ample USB, and 5.1 sound, however i am looking into using its inbuilt optical (SPDIF) port to get the 5.1 properly.

3) Intel Celeron 2500Mhz processor (Socket 775 for the mobo) , ($100 AUD)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTIUM-CELERON-...QQcmdZViewItem

4) Seagate 8Mb Cache, 160GB SATA HArd drive, ($115 AUD),
    i wanted 120 gig, but when its only 4 dollars more expensive, why not?

5) 512mb, DDR400 Ram, PC3200, (ill take one out of my computer, got too many)

5) Pioneer 105 DVD burner (its currently from my home computer, but i want to upgrade it to a Pioneer 110d, so this unit might as well go in the carputer.

6) DVD ROM (im thinking one of those ones from a laptop, might even pinch my laptop's one.. i want this up the front, mabey in the glovebox so dvd's can be watched and controlled by the passanger)

6) I have bought already a GPS Receiver: ($137 AUD)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GPS-USB-Recei...QQcmdZViewItem
    its very cool, indoors on my computer, 1 meter from a window, it caught 6 satellites. trees in the way too!!!. VERY HAPPY.

7) Misc stuff - Blutooth module, mini light up keyboard, Wireless PCI Card.. etc

OK.. that covers most everything, apart from a case, and a powersupply..
    i have been looking for a slimish case, as the motherboard is actually a MICRO ATX, and i want one already without a power supply.. ill find one, i just want it to be pretty..

8) WHAT POWER SUPPLY Will i need?, how do you know how many watts you need? i was thinking the OPUS 150w, but is that enough.. there is another brand which claimed 200w too..

9).. nearly forgot the thing to convert SPDIF (optical sound) ... to 6 Speakers.. ..
    AUDIOBAHN ADD51T 1/2 DIN. (160 USD)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    this will fill the gap under the screen as the screen only leaves 0.5din under it. I would be able to controll sound much easier, as it has mute and volume knob.... so much better then touchscreen controlls. .... DO you guys know of any others that do the same thing???.. prehaps even have inbuilt Radio Tuner!!!!

10) DIGITAL high definition TV tuner ($100 AUD) to go with the new broadcasts available in australia. VERY VERY VERY VERY CLEAR!. i think it has radio too.. but not digital, anologue

SO, what you guys reckon, hopefully its not overkill for a incar PC, but finding older parts is a joke, like P3's.. am i missing anything?.. have i overlooked stuff?

TOTAL COST: around $1500 AUD, probalby 1100 USD..
    and i need to buy GPS software and maps, so that would bring it up more ..
    damn its expensive when you dont have a job..

regards tony.
    Current Setup - (as per PC specs on the left)
    Future Setup - Commell LV-677, Dual Core2Duo 1.86ghz, 1gb ram, M2-ATX, Morex Mini-ITX case, Transflective screen

Mouse - for when your TS drivers hiccup (keyboard doesn't do everything in windoze)
    Cable - extra lengths of RCA, VGA, USB, and amp cable could come in handy.
    USB HUB - in the dash for easy transfer of files. Plus it's a cool car mod that doesn't cost much.
    CD - a burner and a dvd rom - overkill. Drop one. They suck juice even while not in use. Plus, you'll want 'em in the glovebox and most gloveboxes are short on space.
    CPU/PS - I have a celery 2.66 GHz (close to yours, I think) and a Keypower 250watt power supply. I forget the current draw at the moment, but I think that 0pus 150 is too small...
    If you really want the 0pus, get a more efficient CPU - what do you need that power for anyway? It ain't your gaming machine, after all...

TS - with the touchscreen, you'll want an auxiliary means of input whilst driving. Finding TS buttons is impossible w/o taking your eyes off the road. Consider steering wheel remotes, keypads, wheels, or mini-keyboards. Try the touchscreen for a week and you'll see what I mean. (make this low-priority, but reserve funds to cover it)

Hope that helps!
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
      keyboard doesn't do everything in windoze
      Yeah it does.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
        Yeah it does.
        Ever used Frodoplayer?

How about trying to configure Xenarc TS drivers and getting the "Display not found" message...

Comment

yeah i should get a mouse, just incase. a keyboard is a must, especially if im far from home and my bios decides to change the bootup sequency.. u cant change that with a mouse.

controlls on the steering wheel.. yeah i was thinking i get this in the future. theres some nice ones out there..

for the power supply.. keypower 250w seems to be my best option.. just need to find somewhere that sells it cheaper then the $212 US i found it for :|
          Future Setup - Commell LV-677, Dual Core2Duo 1.86ghz, 1gb ram, M2-ATX, Morex Mini-ITX case, Transflective screen

Comment

Originally posted by fire
            keypower 250w seems to be my best option.. just need to find somewhere that sells it cheaper then the $212 US i found it for :|
            There are other options coming onto the market right now. Check the Power Supplies forum. But if you need something to tied you over, an <cough> inverter </cough> is an option...

If you can handle turning it on and off you won't need to spend the extra bucks on a shutdown controller.

Comment

hrrmm.. inverter ey?.. nah.. ill stick with a DC-DC..
              ive heard bad things about inverters, and their overheating.

Comment

ok.. ive read LOTS into inverters, and i think i will get one..
                Here is a picture of my proposed schematic, the pics are just reference.....

Hmm.. can anyone host a 90kb GIF for me?..

Comment

ok.. here it is.. drew it up in corel draw, and the pictures are not of the items i have, i just got pics off the net.

NOTE: i have not shown the relay system for the startup / shutdown controller for the inverter.. I dont have a sub yet, and when i do, the sound system will be fixed, amps, speakers, etc... but the drawing is just a schematic without the amps.......

do you guys know of any SPDIF (optical) input converter, to RCA out,.... i only know of the audiobarn one i mentioned, but i was hoping i can get one with fm tuner inbuilt, as i hear FM on a computer is crap

let us know your thoughts

Comment

10) DIGITAL high definition TV tuner ($100 AUD) to go with the new broadcasts available in australia. VERY VERY VERY VERY CLEAR!. i think it has radio too.. but not digital, anologue
                    Where did you find one of these? I wouldnt mind adding one to my system

Comment

I've seen some USB HDTV Tuners on Ebay, and at Dick Smitch Electronics
                      Fox Mulder
                      2004 Toyota MR2
                      Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

soundoff.. i found it on ebay somwhere...

one catch.. i heard HDTV is fuzzy if your antenna is moving?. thats why i included a diversity tv tuner in the diagram...

fox mulder....... how is your reception on your HDTV?. and is it clear while driving, is it USB 2 interface?.... also would you classify the capacitor as a must? and is 1F enough?..
                        have you got a website or pics of the install or something?. you have pretty much what i wanna get.

Comment

If you see in the signature it says "plan to get" so right now I have nothing lol
                          The 1 Farad Camp is for the amplifiers, and I'm waiting on some replies for my really long post I posted here last night detailing the plan for my system.
                          Fox Mulder
                          2004 Toyota MR2
                          Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

Working...
                          X