Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading to AMD Mobile.. but what case?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to AMD Mobile.. but what case?

I'm gonna upgrade from my current via 800 to a amd mobile processor/mobo combo. The one i'm looking at in particular is this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...2600-N&cat=MBB

What i need to find now is a suitable case for this. I was hoping there was a place i could buy a shuttle case but i havent found anywhere selling them. What cases are you guys with the mATX using. N while ur at it gimme a yay or nay on that setup above.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

The Shuttle cases are designed specifically for the Shuttle SFF motherboards. They don't conform to any standards.
    Realistically, any mATX case should work for you. Make certain the CPU cooler you're going to use will fit.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
      I'm gonna upgrade from my current via 800 to a amd mobile processor/mobo combo. The one i'm looking at in particular is this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...2600-N&cat=MBB

What i need to find now is a suitable case for this. I was hoping there was a place i could buy a shuttle case but i havent found anywhere selling them. What cases are you guys with the mATX using. N while ur at it gimme a yay or nay on that setup above.
      I got an Athenatech A100SC.200 case for my mATX board. Includes a 230W power supply. $42 at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811190003

Are you not in the US or something? I'd do another search for that one, they're easy as hell to find. I don't know if Shuttle is necessarily mATX form factor.
      GA-K8VM800M, Sempron 64 2800+, 512mb DDR400, D-Link USB BT, Linksys .11g NIC, 250gb IDE, BU-353, SIR-ALP1 w/ MJS, DSATX 220w, DWW-700H

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65059
      Now with pictures!

Comment

I got mine from newegg too...I posted pictures months ago.

These should work well:
        case 1
        case 2

If you like the shuttle form factor then this should appeal:

case 3

Edit: they seem to have my case (but mine is red) too:
        my case
        EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
        Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
        XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

thanks for the link pip. I think i'm gonna pick up the case you have. Any PCI clearance issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
            thanks for the link pip. I think i'm gonna pick up the case you have. Any PCI clearance issues?
            Wont take full height PCI cards...make sure any PCI cards are low profile...or get a differen case if you have full height PCI cards.

Comment

Originally posted by pip
              Wont take full height PCI cards...make sure any PCI cards are low profile...or get a differen case if you have full height PCI cards.
              I've had similar cases before. I assume either hacking the metal bracket or removing it all together would work?

Comment

I dont that that is actually a mobile processor on geeks.com

if you pull up the CPU specs you will see that it is listed as 1.65 for the VCore. someone else on the forums bought it bu i cannot remember if a strait answer was ever obtained on whether or not it really is a mobile.
                My Install

Software:
                CFiG v1
                iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Either remove the bracket...or fab a short one.

You can still use a regular Athlon....I switched my Mobile Athlon to my desktop so I could really overclock it. I didn't even underclock the desktop Athlon...but if your power supply isn't up to it you can just underclock it.

Comment

Originally posted by pip
                    Either remove the bracket...or fab a short one.

You can still use a regular Athlon....I switched my Mobile Athlon to my desktop so I could really overclock it. I didn't even underclock the desktop Athlon...but if your power supply isn't up to it you can just underclock it.
                    I went from a P4 system to an Athlon system and even with my 150watt OPUS and minimal power drains from the PSU, the Athlon would not boot up.

Comment

Originally posted by alti
                      I dont that that is actually a mobile processor on geeks.com

if you pull up the CPU specs you will see that it is listed as 1.65 for the VCore. someone else on the forums bought it bu i cannot remember if a strait answer was ever obtained on whether or not it really is a mobile.
                      yup and it was me that pointed it out. It is a 'desktop replacment CPU'. ie an unlocked desktop cpu for over/underclocking. Don't get it if you plan on running an opus 150W

Comment

I'm running a standard atx power supply with an inverter and the uSDC20 zootjeff sells. I'm not really worried about power constraints i was more getting it for the thermal aspect of it. Not to mention for that price even if it was a desktop processor and mobo it looks good to me. Whether or not it survives generally mild winter/summer seasons is my main concern.

Comment

Hey Sonicxtacy02! How is that Biostar board working out? I just bought that same combo from them and am curious if it was a mobile processor. Any suggestions in terms of using this board? Thanks!

Comment

hey do you know if it supports s3 standby?
                            REBUILDING!!

Comment

Working...
                            X