Tweeter wiring...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeter wiring...?

Ok, So maby im getting a little over excited here, but I went out and bought some tweeters today...The problem I think I have, is no crossovers...Is that a problem?I already have some midrange speakers in the front I ented to keep, but I want to stick some tweeters right above them, and I want it to not just be a placibo effect. Keep In mind, Im funny pore(so pore some of you people would laugh) whats a quick and cheap fix...or is there one? And If I dont need crossovers what is the most effective way to wire it straight from the head unit as to not short circut it?

if your poor return them and use the money to buy something to eat
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

You need crossovers really, you can buy inline ones that aren't very fancy but they do the trick and don't cost much.

Comment

Originally posted by howler
        You need crossovers really, you can buy inline ones that aren't very fancy but they do the trick and don't cost much.
        ok, but if I do that, where do I connect the tweeters infut from? (I dont have an amp) If I connect it straight to the front speakers wire while I still have the midrange speakers connected to them will either of the speakers come up short on power?

Comment

the power will be divided between them, its the only way you'll be able to do it unless you use some proper crossovers

Comment

ok, thank you.

Comment

What kind of tweeters are they? Are they kind you pick up at Wal-Mart in the little package? If so, crossovers won't help you.

Most 'cheapo' add-on tweeters aren't really setup to deal with crossovers. basically all you have is a tweeter that's sitting at some high resistance so it doesn't affect the rest of the system, but puts out high-frequencies. These tweeters need no crossovers.

If you have 'real' tweeters, more than likely they'll have somewhere around 4 Ohm resistance, and definitely require a crossover. Any pictures of what you got, or the packaging for it?

Comment

Can't you make a cheapo crossover with a capacitor and resistor? I forget how to set it up exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
                  What kind of tweeters are they? Are they kind you pick up at Wal-Mart in the little package? If so, crossovers won't help you.
                  well...you nailed that on the head. Im broke as a joke right now, Im not gona have much cash till christmas. So the stuff I bought came from....(wana take a guess?)...wall-mart. I installed one of these with a high pass crossover, the only problem is, I dont know if Its right because the packages dont have any info on them! here comes some pics. I dont need anyone to make fun of me. thx

Comment

play something that is very high pitched? Does it come out of the tweeters? Play some low bass. Does it come out of the tweeters? It shouldn't. If so, try rewiring the dog. That should fix it.

Comment

Good golly Miss mollY! Tweeters are like a dime a dozen on e bay right now!

Comment

Well you aint gonna get very good SQ out of walmart tweeters, tho I am sure that goes without saying.

if you are serious about audio in a car, you have to go with components. A midrange and a tweeter split/powered by a crossover (well, powered by amp or HU)

A bass blocker is a stupid device, a crossover is the only way to cleanly get highs only from a full range signal.

if you are broke, DONT BUY ANYTHING and save up. Skimping on car audio is freekin stupid.

Example:

losers who spend every weekend working on their system. buying all the parts, all the amps and installing it. All done and finished, **** is dope according to the user....but as they drive down the street all you can hear is the bass rattling their license plate. pnwd.
                        (All done)
                        iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                          **** is dope according to the user....but as they drive down the street all you can hear is the bass rattling their license plate. pnwd.
                          Lol! I know someone like that. And your right, I got a couple grand coming my way in the next couple of months, so I will wait till then(but some of that has to do to new tires! A few to many off roading adventures, couples with sliding arond the streets)

Comment

I need to pick up a new crossover. I have a radio shack one installed (has one high pass, one low pass, and two bandpasses) but It isn't really that good.

I'd love to find one that can be controlled digitally (ie, I can hook it up to rs232 or something).

And hey, my license plate rattle :-/ . I suppose the rest of my car rattles too so its ok.

Comment

Nice Jeep, BTW....
                              I mounted my tweeters in the dash pointed toward the windshield. Reflects the highs quite well. Yours may reverb off clothing or the seats and be muffled. At least, that's my thinking, anyway.

My approach was a PITA to install, though. Had to put the crossovers in the kickpanels and run new wires through the rubber boots leading to the doors. I'll never do that again!

Let me know how they sound!
                              http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                              CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                              Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Working...
                              X