1.8" HDD can stand up to 500G (2ms) shock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8" HDD can stand up to 500G (2ms) shock

I searched a lot in many websites and compared a lot of HDD to see which one can stand a higher shock with low power consumption and I found that 1.8" hdd are the best. Did anyone tried one of these... Regards

Link:
    http://www.sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx...00659c00002b4a

Those do seem like a good way to go but it appears that they are not out yet.
    Cars
    1994 Mustang GT Punch 240.4 2 12" Kicker Comp SOLD :(

2006 Suzuki Aerio Sx Kicker KX 650.4 RE 10

2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition DVD - Navigation Package Traded in for 2008 XL-7 Limited

Car PC
    Planning

Comment

1.8" drives have been available in dubai for more than a year now...

Comment

How does the cost compare to a desktop drive?

For most installs the 3.5" drive is reasonable due to the price/storage and durability gains for 2.5" are not that big of an issue for most people.

If you need better power consumption of smaller physical size is may be worth the money.
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Anyone have an idea as to how much these will cost? I've searched, but everything I can find on these drives are news releases and such
          www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

SnyperBob... The one I said is available in dubai is the 1.8" HDD but it's not from Toshiba this mobel was from a company called Aprcrn and it's an external drive which can be disassemples and used. a 20GB Ext is 200 USD and the 40GB Ext is 300 USD... that's a lot TruckinMP3...!

Comment

Yes, Pricewatch has 30GB 3.5" drives starting arround $30.00.

I would not recommend the cheapest 3.5" drive but, Price for Storage it is easy to see the appeal.
              TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I use one of these the 20G version J4K20 built specifically for the auto industry.

-20C to +85C operating temp
                Non op tollerance of 800G 11ms
                op tollerance or 100G 11ms

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...7bca4bac4f0a0/

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by chuckster
                  I use one of these the 20G version J4K20 built specifically for the auto industry.

-20C to +85C operating temp
                  Non op tollerance of 800G 11ms
                  op tollerance or 100G 11ms

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...7bca4bac4f0a0/

Chuck

Do you feel the 1.8" drives are worth the 10 times the cost of a desktop drive of the same size?
                  TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Anyone curious about how much longer we have to put up with drives with moving parts? I cant wait for solid state storage to catch up in size and put HDD to rest for good. Just my 2 cents. BTW those drives are wicked looking considering their size. I like it!
                    Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

Comment

These are what's used in Ipods. Find someone with an old ipod and there ya go. I just ordered an external case for one bc my friend gave me her old "broken" ipod.
                      Volvo 850 GLT

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
                        Do you feel the 1.8" drives are worth the 10 times the cost of a desktop drive of the same size?
                        Personally I don't so. The automotive drive I have is great and is being used specifically for the automobile industry.

Unless you have very tight space constraints then I wouldn't pay the premium.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by agmsd
                          I searched a lot in many websites and compared a lot of HDD to see which one can stand a higher shock with low power consumption and I found that 1.8" hdd are the best. Did anyone tried one of these... Regards

Link:
                          http://www.sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx...00659c00002b4a
                          Be very careful when comparing the "G" rating on drives as there are quite a number of things that are measured. The most important is the "operating" and "non-operating" measurements. Next is "shock" (single sudden movement) vs. "vibration" (continuous movement)

The one thing that sets laptop (and smaller) drives apart from 3.5" desktop drives is that their operating shock measurements are much closer to their non-operating shock measurements. Obviously, this is because these drives are expected to experience vibration while they are being used. Desktop drives, OTOH, will often have non-operating shock values comparable to laptop drives so they will withstand the rigors of shipping, but are *far* more sensitive to shock and vibration when in operation.

-p.

Comment

I briefly looked at using one of these. They look very attractive to start with, but the 3.3V supply voltage put me off. I think the interface signal levels are at the same levels, whereas most IDE interfaces are (afaik) 5v.
                            Old Systems retired due to new car
                            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Jeez you guys suck... there are plenty of places to buy these drives from...

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=12

http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi-bi...up&group=1.8in

http://www.supermediastore.com/trans...ard-drive.html

Comment

Working...
                              X