Cold weather issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather issues

Ok I know this has been posted a coupel times before but can never seem to find it in teh searches. Anyway I still can't beleive more people do not seem to have this issue.

I changed my pc to run on a 2.5" laptop drive this year to see if maybe I only had a issue because I had a 200gb 3.5" drive. Anyway just went to get doughnuts and its 39F and it failed its test.

Anywho just wondering what has everyone doen t ocurb this issue and feel free to yell at me that this has been posted before but its been a while and dun see why it can't be revisited.
    Toyota Prius w/ NAV system and a 30gb Ipod :)it never crashes and always boots up.

if you are having a problem at 39F, then it is not due to cold temps

Look for a power issue.

My set up has been in the low teens (F) without an issue.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I plan on using a 2.5 drive with UBS2 hookup that I can carry with me when needed.

It actually uses 2 ports, one for power and one for data. Nice touch and it is smaller than a pack of smokes. I will post a pic if I ever find one.
      Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

Comment

it wokrs fine when its above 42F but below it boots once starts to load windows then poof reboots the colder the more times it does this below 20F the old drive woudl not even budge jsut wen tto disk read error new drive hasn't seen that yet and still 2 more weeks till I see those temps. I have one of those usb 2.5 drive kits to but my board turned out to not have usb 2.0 so never worked had to goto the ide to 2.5 converter thingy.
        Toyota Prius w/ NAV system and a 30gb Ipod :)it never crashes and always boots up.

Comment

Ahhhhhh crappy. And a USB 2.0 card wont work in a boot sequence if I remember correctly. Perhaps a mobile rack? You can integrate them into a dash fairly easy and have it looking sweet. I little dremel love and resin works wonders. Then you can take the drive with you when necessary. I live in Souther Ontario so we get cold here too and this is a big issue for me. Hope it works out for ya.
          Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

Comment

So as I thoguht before best solution still is taking hard drive with you to keep it warm. Has anyone tried a liek 4gb flash drive to run and boot os then drive woudl possibly be warm enough once puter is booted?

Comment

I have a similar issue. Everything worked fine the first several months but one night we got down near freezing (I live in South Louisiana and didn't think too cold would be my problem) and since then any night that it gets below around 60 causes me issues. My system will boot after it warms up but I didn't build in a seperate power switch so I either boot to the BIOS and watch the system temp or I have to turn off the truck at a red light. I have just run into the issue recently so I don't know what I'm going to do...
              JoshB [BadPakt]
              TruckPC [||||||||||] 90% (Tweaking Software)
              FrodoPlayer / Lilliput / Opus 150 / AMD Sempron / PowerMate
              Roady2 ((XM)) / Sony W600 / Bluetooth / Ford Ranger EDGE

Comment

There seems to be a similar thread that just started. Bunch of guys from Canada and the likes trying to deal with thirty below temps...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57425
                JoshB [BadPakt]
                TruckPC [||||||||||] 90% (Tweaking Software)
                FrodoPlayer / Lilliput / Opus 150 / AMD Sempron / PowerMate
                Roady2 ((XM)) / Sony W600 / Bluetooth / Ford Ranger EDGE

Comment

How do climate extremes affect car PC's?
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                  X