No announcement yet.

How to power via slim cd-rom enclosure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to power via slim cd-rom enclosure?

I am using this exact setup, but am having trouble trying to power the CD-ROM with it:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...nclosure+power

The drive works solely with the stock 18" USB cable plugged into the computer. Problem is, in the car I am using a USB extension cable so the cable is too long to deliver enough current. Should not surprise anyone.

I assumed cutting the secondary power cable and splicing a 5v molex connector on to the end of it, plugged into my power supply would work, but it still is not getting enough juice.

Anyone with an enclosure know how to handle this? Should I try the 12v rail or am I going to fry the adapter?
    Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

the 5V shoudl work.

you couls always try hacking a spare USB cable to stop it taking power from the usb bus and instead taking power direct from a molex.

Comment

Thanks, Scouse. Worked like a charm! Hadn't thought of that, because I was thinking there were only two wires in a USB cable, after slicing the power cable earlier. Dur...
      Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

Comment

Working...
      X