Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using flash drive as your primary hard drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using flash drive as your primary hard drive?

We have problems with cold climate around here. I am wondering if I could use a 4 gig flash to run WIN 2000 Pro, Roadrunner and GPS? I would use an external HD to house all music etc. This way I could take the HD in and out of the car. Is this possible? If so can someone point me in the correct direction. Thanks

Yes, you certainly could.. I'm currently running XP Pro on a 1G CF card.

See here for instructions on how:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~sfiorito/eXPinstall.htm

You'll want to use the Enhanced Write Filter (EWF) trick with compact flash to reduce writes, otherwise it won't last very long.

If you also want to use the Hibernate Once Resume Many feature, you'll need to disconnect your external HD when setting the hibernate point.

Comment

I was also wondering that. I live in NC and sometimes the inside of my car can reach temps of over 120 and under 15 (like this morning). What can be done for a temp regulator for something like this if you didn't want to go to a flash drive?

-Villain

Comment

Originally posted by Villain
        I was also wondering that. I live in NC and sometimes the inside of my car can reach temps of over 120 and under 15 (like this morning). What can be done for a temp regulator for something like this if you didn't want to go to a flash drive?

-Villain
        Tricky... check the technical specs for your hard drive or CF card for its operational temperature range.

For example, my 2.5" laptop drive that I'm using is a Samsung 40GB disk, # MP0402H.

It's operational temperature is between 5C and 55C, or 41F and 131F.

It's non-operational temperature is between -40C to 70C, or -40F to 158F.

So for a drive like this, the temperature must be above 41F for the drive to spin up.. it's a mechanical limitation. But it can withstand up to -40 below when it's not running.

2.5" laptop drives are usually much more robust than 3.5" drives.

Comment

So basically I start my car in the cold weather and my drive goes bye bye. (I'm sure one or two times MIGHT not hurt it, but it's bad to do over and over again).

I guess I was thinking of some sort of thermostat on the PSU so that the PC doesn't start unless the temp is in a specific range.

Other than that, I'm left with cooling fans on a thermo for the summer and what... an electric blanket and a power inverter for the winter...

Dunno. Thanks for the help though.

(Didn't mean to hijack the thread man, sorry)

-Villain

Comment

I'm running mine from cf, running read only so I don't have to worry about writes

Comment

How do you run windows read only? Could you elaborate a bit... ie what are the limitations?

Comment

You could take the hard drive in an out of the car and not use a flash drive

This is what Im planning to do on my next install
                2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

You have 2 options: use flash (which requires EWF, see above for the link to my instructions) or use an external USB hard drive which you take in and out of the car with you. Check the WinNT forum for a link to instructions. I haven't had a chance to do it myself yet, but it seems like others have used it successfully.
                  EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                  Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                  OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                  Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                  BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                  VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by Vinister
                    How do you run windows read only? Could you elaborate a bit... ie what are the limitations?
                    Didn't know you were limiting to windows. I never did get it to work completely read only, played with the embedded versions for months before switching to Linux then had a working system in an evening.

Comment

Running XP read-only is pretty easy and works well. Just see the instructions on installing EWF up above.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                      VoomPC 2

Comment

That doesn't run it completely read only, it still does a few writes

Comment

not if you remove bootstat.dat I believe

Comment

Yes, it does, thats one of the reasons I switched

Comment

there are no writes when you run EWF. you can check it by using VMWare or Virtual PC and monitoring the HDD device. the only writes that occur are those you do yourself.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                              VoomPC 2

Comment

Working...
                              X