No announcement yet.

Help..IPOD 40G HD connection

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help..IPOD 40G HD connection

I broke the screen on my 3G 40G IPOD, instead of getting it fix (too much money), I would rather take out the 40G HD (1.8" Toshiba) and use it in my carPC. My question is, how do I connect this HD to my mother board (BioStar). The HD has what seems to be the PCMCIA connections, but I compared the number of pins, it has less pin the the regular PCMCIA port. Is there an adapter to conver the 1.8" HD to be use in a regular mother board (PATA)..Any help will be greatly appreciated

I'd recommend just selling it and getting a regular sized (or at least standardized, whether that be CF, 2.5", 3.5" etc) drive..

See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at
    Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

or maybe a picture of the pins and a pin count
      Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
      planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
      parts___[++++++----] around 60%
      install___[-----------] -9,000%

1.8" hard drive in iPOD or from Toshiba have their own proprietary connector

this should do it

this is for the 20 gig model:
        and a review for it:
        I just recieved my i-rocks IR-9100 1.8" enclosure (Black) from I'm using my 20GB drive from my old 4th Gen iPod and it works just fine. My only complaint is that my drive is just a little too thick and the lid bows slightly when I snap it in place. It also comes with a carying case that you can just leave it in so I don't think the lid is going to be a problem.

I just thought people would like to hear if that enclosure is the right one for iPod drives. It is.

Originally posted by Haystack
          or maybe a picture of the pins and a pin count

Thank you

wow, thank you all very much for the helps, the "iPod 1.8 Hard drive to 3.5 IDE Adaptor Adapter" is exactly what I was looking for. Anyone know where I can get a hold of one besides ebay?

Isn't it firewire? Why don't you just hook it up as an external hard drive?
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

It is firewire but thats using the ipods [mother?]board. He wants to take it out of the ipod housing and use it in his system, like some of us would use a laptop hdd. Using the firewire connection and setting it as a boot drive is hariy. Easier to get the adapter.