Computer doesn't automatically turn off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer doesn't automatically turn off

I've got an older Slot A Athlon based system that used to be the family computer.. When we first got it, it would power down the computer automatically when you selected "Shutdown" from the start menu, in windows 98... But with XP it just goes to a "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen..
    Of course that means using the UPS +5 volts on pin 8 trick won't work if the computer doesn't turn off...

Check to see if Advanced Power Management is turned on in the Power panel in the XP control panel.

Comment

Hmmm
      The motherboard I have must not support XP's power options or something.. It's missing most of the advanced power options.. All it has is "Always show icon on taskbar"
      My A64 system has an area that says, "Power buttons"
      I may try using 2000 instead of XP..

Comment

You should also check in the BIOS to make sure that APM and/or ACPI are enabled.
        If they're not turned on, you may have to re-install Windows to get them to work properly.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Also, are you running the newest mobo drivers? I would think that might affect whether XP has access to advanced power features.
          But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
          Originally posted by Viscouse
          I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
          eegeek.net

Comment

Well, after some searching, it turns out that the version of the BIOS I have isn't fully compatible with the Windows XP ACPI, only 98... So, I just have to update the BIOS.

Comment

I've got the EN15000 and I'm facing this problem right now.. any suggestion guys?
              i've searched the forum, tried to hack the registry.. nothing working
              VIA EN15000 C7 // CTF700 7" Screen // Morex 3688 Black Case
              M2-ATX // 80GB HD
              DVD-RW // PowerMate
              Belkin Bluetooth V1.2 // Hauppauge WinTV FM

Centrafuse RC5

JBL GTO 75.4 520W // Pionneer Kevlar 260w Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by SUVputer View Post
                I've got the EN15000 and I'm facing this problem right now.. any suggestion guys?
                i've searched the forum, tried to hack the registry.. nothing working
                If you read the thread, you would know that the registry is not the answer. It is BIOS, MB, and OS specific. They all have to support it. If not, you have to upgrade the one that does not, if it IS possible to upgrade that specific item.

Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Working...
                X