Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a MB that fits this project...suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a MB that fits this project...suggestions?

Hey all, my first post here, but I've been reading this forum for a while, very helpful info here!

I'm looking to do a car audio project, and with the capabilities of carputers these days in the realm of signal processing, I've decided to go this route.

The only problem is that DSP (specifically the programs I'll be running) require lots of processing power....I mean LOTS.

But I also need an efficient cpu (low heat), and one that doesn't need lots of noisy fans, becuase this is a sound quality focused system, and fans will cause noise to be introduced to the system. Also, this system will be located in a trunk, and I live in the hot, hot humid south (New Orleans!)

I'm looking for a desktop MB that will run dual Pentium M's or AMD turions. It also would be a plus to have the capability to run dual pci-e gpu cards. I'm looking for the MB that has the most accessory slots available for everything, because I'm going to need a load of USB 2.0 ports, 2-3 serial ports, pci slots, etc. Later on, I might even upgrade to 2 dualcore cpus when the prices come down a little.

Can you guys recommend any MB's for this? Do they even have any out yet that will accomodate all of this? I've looked on some sites, but I'm having a hard time locating one. I thought some of you guys might be more informed in this area that I am. It's been a year or two since my last computer build. Thanks for any suggestions!

Well from the sound of it you can probably forget about building an efficient, low-heat system, or using the DC-DC power supplies many people here use (most DC-DC's aren't really suited for even a single moderately high-end processor, and running two processors and/or dual cores would probably put you well outside the power range of the normal DC-DC's)

based on your processing power requirement, I'd say you would probably have to go for an inverter running a normal AC power supply, for maximum sound quality probably ought to go for a high-quality pure sine-wave inverter and make sure you do a good job grounding things, etc.

based on your quiet cooling requirement, and the idea of having dual high-end processors and dual video cards in a hot environment, you probably ought to think about a water cooling system.
    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
    Originally posted by Viscouse
    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
    eegeek.net

Comment

Thanks for the input! Actually, I've already thought through the p/s and cooling issues, I'm just looking for an MB to do the job......

Comment

There is not going to be anything out there suitable for what you want a Pent-M runs on a 478 well (479 actually) board and there are not dual chip 478 boards made same goes for the Turion. You have to remember these are laptop chips they are not meant for server set-ups. The only thing I could see is running dual opterons but that is going to be pretty loud unless you are watercooling or something which is still relatively loud when the pump is running plus I don't know if I would trust watercooling in a car.

Comment

unless you are running software that is compatible with the duall config, then it does't matter because you will only be using one CPU anyway.

The best options i could find:
          Chaintech Dual Socket A (AMD XP-M)
          http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...No=13&PISNo=19

Dual Socket 940 (Opteron)
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property
          Quad AMD Opteron $1,084.00
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813151136
          CPU Socket Type[Dual Socket 603/604] (Xeon)
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys, I didn't think there were those types of MB's out there yet. I'm aware of the opteron boards......how would those do as far as cooling requirements? Are they power hogs?

Are there dual boards out there for desktop applications? Or are all of these boards "server" boards? The dual GPU's is not required, but a pci-e slot would be nice to have so I can run something more up to date.

Thanks again guys!

p.s.-I've seen some pretty radical water cooling setups in cars that incorporate a small radiator up front in the grill, lol

Comment

They are server boards and do eat up power, if your software is configured for dual processors than the dual XP-M is a cheap, low wattage setup. However two XP-Ms cant hold a candle to a single cpu, because of the FSB. 2 700mhz 266fsb < 1 1400 mhz 333fsb
              the multiple serial connections are another issue: you will need a few of these and a usb hub. I would get those with a recent Mobile Turion mobo(with pci-e) and cpu, with perhaps a water cooling solution for noise reduction.

Comment

Yea, if only they have a dual pentium M or turion mb !

Right now, my best bet might be to try to wait for the dual core pentium M's and turions that are coming out real soon, but the $$$ is going to be killer..

Do they have any dual Athlon mb's out there? Those probably wouldn't be quite as pricey as the opteron's......I guess I can rethink my cooling plan to try to accomodate the higher wattage/heat processors.....

Comment

Originally posted by xencloud
                  Do they have any dual Athlon mb's out there?
                  yeah, that's the first one I linked. dual socket a.

Comment

I thought socket A's were only for the older Athlon's though.....what's the fastest Athlon you can use with a socket A?

Comment

Yea, if only they have a dual pentium M or turion mb !

Right now, my best bet might be to try to wait for the dual core pentium M's and turions that are coming out real soon, but the $$$ is going to be killer..

Do they have any dual Athlon mb's out there? Those probably wouldn't be quite as pricey as the opteron's......I guess I can rethink my cooling plan to try to accomodate the higher wattage/heat processors.....

Dual core pentium ms wont have the same advantages as the current pentium m because the whole reason it is better is because it is much more simple than a normal pentium 4. (Its also why they suck at multimedia applications and dont do smp).

For a car pc you seem to have the totally wrong idea. Its all about efficiency and making your programs suit the environment rather than trying to cram in the latest bloated hardware.

On the DSP side, seeing as the car is such a noisy enviroment and totally unsuited to the subtleties of audio I can't see what you could possibly be doing that would require so much power and be worth putting in a car?

Comment

^^you seem to be waaaaay to practical minded, and definitely not a fan of car audio, lol

These are my hobbies, and to me, it's all about pushing the limits. You obviously have no clue as to what kind of advantages running my audio from a cpu gives me as to tuning a system in a car environment. Digital room correction? Active noise cancellation? A CPU is the only way any of this is getting done, and not many people have done it so far in this kind of application. I'm not running the latest bloated hardware for the hell of it. As you can see, I'm trying to be as efficient as possible, but there's guys who have tried doing less than half of the processing (and half the number of channels being processed), and brought Athlon 4000+'s to their knees. These software programs require lots of processing, so it's a requirment to have the power for this project, not a choice.

I realize most guys on this forum know pretty much squat about SQ competitions in cars, and are mostly interested in running a carputer for all of the other advantages, but this isn't just another project, it's a specialized application, and it requires exactly what I'm talking about in this thread. Later, I can yank the carputer out of the car and use it in a home theater setup if I want.........

Comment

DSP setup

sounds interesting... would love to read more on the realtime DSP ... noise cancellation etc. do you have any links handy? thanks ahead of time. wouldnt mind getting DSP working in the house then moving it to the excursion..... smile
                          69 Mustang
                          408 clevor AFD 2v heads - Viper T56
                          Audio:RUX-C701, PXA-H701, MRV-F545, (2) MRD-M1005, SIR-SC-H1, DMHD1000, Dayton Audio: (2) RS180-4, (2) RS28F-4, (2) RSS265HO-44 DVC

Comment

Here's the link to a similar project, but he's doing it for home theater and a more high end equipment:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Comment

Here's the link to a similar project, but he's doing it for home theater and a more high end equipment:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=1

wow... great info.. thanks..... lots of reading to do.....
                              69 Mustang
                              408 clevor AFD 2v heads - Viper T56
                              Audio:RUX-C701, PXA-H701, MRV-F545, (2) MRD-M1005, SIR-SC-H1, DMHD1000, Dayton Audio: (2) RS180-4, (2) RS28F-4, (2) RSS265HO-44 DVC

Comment

Working...
                              X