USB/serial converter and hubs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB/serial converter and hubs?

I'm having a very difficult time trying to adapt my serial devices for use with the USB port. In fact, I'm having a hard time with the USB port itself.

I have the following devices that need to be hooked up to USB:
    1. Behringer DCX2496 serial connection.*
    2. Earthmate GPS.
    3. D-Link FM radio.
    4. Sound Blaster USB audio device (perhaps soon to be an M-Audio Transit).
    5. Xenarc touchscreen.
    6. External laptop hard drive in one of those USB cases (for file transfers).
    7. Creative serial remote control.*

(* denotes serial port to USB converter required)

I'm running the sound and the xenarc out of the on-board USB ports with no problems. The GPS and FM radio work fine when plugged in to one of these ports (having to unplug something else), but don't seem to work with a hub (I've tried three). The serial devices aren't working at all. The remote only works directly hooked to the serial port and the Behringer is recognized by the software but I get a "checksum error" when I try to transfer. I haven't been able to test it with the onboard serial.

So my QUESTION is if anyone here has had any luck with any USB/serial converters and if so, what kind was it and what are you running on it? Also, does anyone know why I'm having trouble getting some of these devices to work in a hub? Even when it's only thing plugged into the hub and the hub is the only thing plugged into the onboard USB, those other devices still won't work.

Thanks.

Originally posted by striatedfoot
    I'm having a very difficult time trying to adapt my serial devices for use with the USB port. In fact, I'm having a hard time with the USB port itself.

I have the following devices that need to be hooked up to USB:
    1. Behringer DCX2496 serial connection.*
    2. Earthmate GPS.
    3. D-Link FM radio.
    4. Sound Blaster USB audio device (perhaps soon to be an M-Audio Transit).
    5. Xenarc touchscreen.
    6. External laptop hard drive in one of those USB cases (for file transfers).
    7. Creative serial remote control.*

(* denotes serial port to USB converter required)

I'm running the sound and the xenarc out of the on-board USB ports with no problems. The GPS and FM radio work fine when plugged in to one of these ports (having to unplug something else), but don't seem to work with a hub (I've tried three). The serial devices aren't working at all. The remote only works directly hooked to the serial port and the Behringer is recognized by the software but I get a "checksum error" when I try to transfer. I haven't been able to test it with the onboard serial.

So my QUESTION is if anyone here has had any luck with any USB/serial converters and if so, what kind was it and what are you running on it? Also, does anyone know why I'm having trouble getting some of these devices to work in a hub? Even when it's only thing plugged into the hub and the hub is the only thing plugged into the onboard USB, those other devices still won't work.

Thanks.
    K, I have no real epxerience with Serial to USB devices.

First, check to see if all of the devices work when directly connected to the USB bus on your MB. Also remember that the OS will add the device, but will increase the "com port" number for each device. The Driver or program associated with the device may not be able to use such a high com port, so you will have to manually lower the com port, and make the appropriate settings in the driver/software.

As for your hub issues, were any of the 3 hubs powered? If not, try a powered hub. You are attempting to draw a **** load of power through the USB bus on your motherboard, and it just can't supply enough juice to power your 7 devices. In fact, the hub may not even be able to supply enough juice for one power hungry device because of the voltage/amperage loss due to the increased wire length between the MB USB bus and the hub.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
      K, I have no real epxerience with Serial to USB devices.

First, check to see if all of the devices work when directly connected to the USB bus on your MB. Also remember that the OS will add the device, but will increase the "com port" number for each device. The Driver or program associated with the device may not be able to use such a high com port, so you will have to manually lower the com port, and make the appropriate settings in the driver/software.

As for your hub issues, were any of the 3 hubs powered? If not, try a powered hub. You are attempting to draw a **** load of power through the USB bus on your motherboard, and it just can't supply enough juice to power your 7 devices. In fact, the hub may not even be able to supply enough juice for one power hungry device because of the voltage/amperage loss due to the increased wire length between the MB USB bus and the hub.

Michael

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I considered it being a USB power issue, so to test that I tried hooking up just the sound card and xenarc to the hub and both worked fine. But the Earthmate GPS, for example, would work fine attached directly to the MB USB alongside the xenarc connection but not to the hub. It's as if there's some sort of compatibility issue with the hub or maybe some sort of handshaking is supposed to be happening but the other device isn't letting it happen.

As for the COM ports, are they still being assigned to USB devices? I thought that was just to serial ones. The USB/serial adapters I've used (I've used two types) create a virtual COM port, and the software is able to use that COM port, but it seems it's the transfer that's faulty. For example, the Behringer device is being recognized by the software -- it's just not able to make the connection/transfer. When I emailed Behringer about the problem, they said "We don't know which ones work in particular. Just try to get the fastest one you can." I thought the ones I had were already the top speed.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I considered it being a USB power issue, so to test that I tried hooking up just the sound card and xenarc to the hub and both worked fine. But the Earthmate GPS, for example, would work fine attached directly to the MB USB alongside the xenarc connection but not to the hub. It's as if there's some sort of compatibility issue with the hub or maybe some sort of handshaking is supposed to be happening but the other device isn't letting it happen.
        The fact that it works on the MB, but not the hub, is an indication that it is power related. The power must get from the MB to the HUB, and then to the device. All that wire, which is VERY thin, does not conduct very well. Therefore, there is a loss of voltage/amperage from the MB to the device. This will cause the device to not behave correctly. You did not answer the question? Have you tried a powered hub. If not, try one. Trust me on this. I have never heard of a "handshaking" or "incompatibility" issue with a USB hub. USB is USB. It is a standard, there should be no issue like that.

As for the COM ports, are they still being assigned to USB devices?
        YES.

I thought that was just to serial ones. The USB/serial adapters I've used (I've used two types) create a virtual COM port, and the software is able to use that COM port, but it seems it's the transfer that's faulty. For example, the Behringer device is being recognized by the software -- it's just not able to make the connection/transfer.
        Is the transfer faulty when directly connected to the computer USB connector, or only through the HUB. If through the hub, then try a powered hub. If directly connected, try a different Serial to USB.

When I emailed Behringer about the problem, they said "We don't know which ones work in particular. Just try to get the fastest one you can." I thought the ones I had were already the top speed.
        What the heck does that mean? "top speed" and "fastest". Did you see a speed rating on the converter to say you have the top speed or the fastest or slowest. There is USB 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 compliant. No one talks about the speed. I tend to think that Behringer is feeding you a line ot crap, but maybe someone here will disagree.

There has been lots of talk about Serial to USB convertors. Some work better then others.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
          Is the transfer faulty when directly connected to the computer USB connector, or only through the HUB. If through the hub, then try a powered hub. If directly connected, try a different Serial to USB. There has been lots of talk about Serial to USB convertors. Some work better then others.
          Michael
          Ok, I'll try a powered hub.

The transfer is faulty with the serial devices (the Behringer and the serial remote) even when plugged directly into the motherboard's USB. The OS recognizes the converters themselves, asks for the driver CDs, installs and everything's smooth there. I plug the serial remote in and the software doesn't recognize it. I plug the Behringer processor in and the software recognizes that it's plugged in but gives me a "checksum error" when I try to initiate a transfer. I know the unit itself isn't broken because I have two of these Behringer processors that I've tried. So yeah, that leads me to believe that the converter doesn't work for these devices.

So I guess my question at this point is this: does anyone have any good luck with a certain serial/USB converter? Which one?

Comment

Ok, I'll try a powered hub.

The transfer is faulty with the serial devices (the Behringer and the serial remote) even when plugged directly into the motherboard's USB. The OS recognizes the converters themselves, asks for the driver CDs, installs and everything's smooth there. I plug the serial remote in and the software doesn't recognize it. I plug the Behringer processor in and the software recognizes that it's plugged in but gives me a "checksum error" when I try to initiate a transfer. I know the unit itself isn't broken because I have two of these Behringer processors that I've tried. So yeah, that leads me to believe that the converter doesn't work for these devices.

So I guess my question at this point is this: does anyone have any good luck with a certain serial/USB converter? Which one?

Okay, sounds like maybe you need to try a couple different converters. Can you test the converters you have on another computer, and see if the problem still occurs??

Maybe a search on the forums for "Serial to USB" will point you in the right direction.

Michael

Comment

Working...
            X