Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Take a look at my diagram, any suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a look at my diagram, any suggestions?

Hey guys-

Here is my diagram of how I am thinking about setting up my carputer, please tell me what you think as well as any suggestions.

300W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Lilliput 7" VGA TFT Monitor
    APC Surge Protector
    Alpine MRP-F240
    4 Port VGA Amp
    Military Switch

and a USB Magnetic Card Reader for one of my projects.

I think the inverter is the easiest route instead of worrying about the DC-DC conversion for computer and 3 monitors. Also, a 300W inverter will be plenty to power all of that without worrying about anything. I do not need the computers to power on automatically with the car-hence the military switch for manual control of the computer power.

The main thing I am concerned with is any random restarts with the computer? Any other points of interest that I am not thinking of?

Thanks!

I will be using a Chrysler 300C for reference - the battery is located in the trunk (stock).

surge protector wont ever really see a surge.......

apart from that its fine.

mount inverter on short thick leads, short dc long ac is best.

is it just one battery? pc will fail on cranking.

I have similar setup, going to put a standard lead acid in boot etc, you cant flatten them on an inverter it will shut off at about 10.5v if accidently left on, then beep until you charge it up.
    A split level charge relay from a caravan/camper trailer shop will do ok.
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Originally posted by lez
      surge protector wont ever really see a surge.......
      apart from that its fine.
      mount inverter on short thick leads, short dc long ac is best.
      Thanks for the tip. Im not using a surge protector as a surge (sounds funny, yes) more or less as a power strip since the inverter only has 1 outlet.

Comment

It would not matter if it survives crank or not, its not going to be on when the car is off.

Side note: headrest monitors that are already built into headrests:

Here

What do you guys think of that?
        Seems good.

**edit: looks good*
        I searched everywhere and cannot find any Shark monitors or any model HRM 800s, sounds low quality, generic to me. Too bad, if they were legit, I would have probably bought them.

Comment

I'm curious about the need for the USB magnetic stripe reader and what project that's for.
          Are you going to be doing mobile point-of-sale from your car or something?
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
            I'm curious about the need for the USB magnetic stripe reader and what project that's for.
            Are you going to be doing mobile point-of-sale from your car or something?
            Yes.

Comment

Cool.
              If you don't mind me asking, what POS software willyou be using?

I'm in this business, so it's always good to know what others are using.
              How about the Wiki?

Comment

I am not sure yet. We are working on figuring out hardware first, and then progressing towards software. If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Check PM.
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

DC-AC adapter DS is specificed : No-load draw < 700 mA

mikemccoy,

You better be aware that the DC-AC convertert is specified to draw upto 700mA as idle current..

Datasheet is specificed : No-load draw < 700 mA

This will worst case drain a standard battery within 3-4 days if the car isn't driven daily in the summer. And the car will have greater difficulties to start in the winter time after a couple of days without being driven, since the battery efficiency is less due to the inner resistance increases at cold temperature.

You better set a relay or switch before the that DC-AC converter!

/ProCos

Comment

Originally posted by mikemccoy
                      It would not matter if it survives crank or not, its not going to be on when the car is off.
                      You might. A quick stop at the gas station means a reboot. This doesn't sound like a big deal but it just kind of sucks that you have to reboot in this situation.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Why are you using an inverter instead of a DC-DC power supply like an Opus?
                        Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                        http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
                          Why are you using an inverter instead of a DC-DC power supply like an Opus?
                          If I were to use mini-ITX computers with special DC-DC power supplies, I would be spending more money than what I am now. Right now the computer I have spec'd out is at $380 when the mini-ITX computer with only the motherboard, RAM, and power supply included are over 490.

Plus a big thing is that--I do not know how to mount a DC--DC power supply/converter in an ITX case. Everyone says they use them, but when I search, I have seen no detailed pictures/explanations on how to mount these power supplies in the case.

The only thing I need to learn to do is set a relay/switch infront of the DC-AC inverter like ProCos said. This shouldnt be too hard I dont imagine.

Comment

Aside form everything mentioned My only personal suggestion is that you go for the xenarc rather than lilli - I HATED my lilliput and I love my xenarc. I think its way worth the extra money.

Side note: Am I the only one that thinks they need to rething the name of point of sale software? Everytmie I see something about it I keep thinking Piece Of **** software .
                            Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
                            Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
                            I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
                            Please help.

Comment

Working...
                            X