Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC controlled fm radio?

http://www.ambicom.com/products/multimed/fm-cf.html

Well yet again i am trying to see if this would work. It is a Compact flash card for cell phones, yet the specs say it will work under XP, and costs $40.00

Any ideas how to connect this to a pc without a compact flash slot?
    -Jack
    2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
    Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

you'll need a cf reader of some sort.
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
      you'll need a cf reader of some sort.
      Do those usb readers support more than reading memory cards?
      -Jack
      2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

First of all, this device is designed to use with a PDA. It's not going to be as simple as plugging it into a CF reader and having Windows recognize it and suddenly it works.
        You're going to need drivers for this thing and software to control it. It's doubtful either exist for a PC.

Secondly, that has a tiny FM antenna, probably similar to what you'd have in any personal FM radio. I don't suspect it would work very well in a vehicle and it probably has no provision to interface with a better antenna (like the one already in your vehicle) without modifying the hardware. Even then, it's likely that the reception wouldn't improve much, if at all.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have a CF GPS and NIC I that I use for my PDA - I haven't tried using them in my PC's CF card reader, but I'll try them when I get back home and let you know.
          Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

My PDA CF Wifi card works in my laptop with a PCCard to CF converter, but there are XP drivers available for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gobby
              My PDA CF Wifi card works in my laptop with a PCCard to CF converter, but there are XP drivers available for it.

The pdf file says will work with windows XP..
              -Jack
              2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

Well there ya go!
                The reception int eh vehicle is another issue, though. But that's an issue with EVERY PC-based radio tuner.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Hate to burst your bubble, but I've had my PPC for a year or so now and the only thing that PDF says to me is you can install the program from XP, ME, etc to the PPC; NOT RUN IT!
                  HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Why not just use this

Comment

<cough>VIA MII series has CF slot <cough>

Thanatos.
                      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazie2
                        http://www.ambicom.com/products/multimed/fm-cf.html

Well yet again i am trying to see if this would work. It is a Compact flash card for cell phones, yet the specs say it will work under XP, and costs $40.00

Any ideas how to connect this to a pc without a compact flash slot?
                        Alright, you almost had it, just a little more browsing on Ambicom's website...check out http://www.ambicom.com/products/multimed/fm-pc.html

Everyone here is forgetting something, most CF slots, with the exception of those on PDA's, aren't I/O capable. Meaning if you stick this CF FM tuner into a standard CF card reader, like those on Mini-ITX boards, it's probably not going to work. Check the specs to verify. What you will likely need, which is pictured in the link above, is a PCMCIA slot and a CF PCMCIA adapter. This is how Ambicoms CF FM tuner is designed to work with standard Windows based laptops/desktops.

And of course, there's no guarantee that this thing will get reception tucked under the seat or in the trunk of your car. But there's not a whole lot of options out there, $40 might be a cheap experiment.
                        Don't hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get crappy ideas from!!!

Comment

A bit OT, but I always thought it'd be cool to have one of those 5 1/4 drive-bay media readers in your dash.

Something that would read all sorts of flash/memory stick/usb jive... sort of like the front of a media center pc.
                          ---first computer---
                          TRS-80 model 4
                          64K ram
                          8 Mhz processor
                          I put my baseball card collection into visicalc baby! LOOKOUT! (my phone has more processing power).

Comment

I've ordered one to check it out, will let you know when it arrives.
                            Lilliput 8" Touchscreen LCD
                            VIA EPIA MII-12000
                            60GB 3.5" Hard Drive 5400
                            512MB DDR PC2700
                            DVD Drive
                            802.11G Internal Wireless Card - External 5db Antenna
                            100m USB Bluetooth Adapter
                            Nokia N70 Phone
                            GPS USB Receiver
                            Centrafuse 1.6

Comment

Working...
                            X