Pentium M/Celeron M Vs Celeron/Celeron D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium M/Celeron M Vs Celeron/Celeron D

Which would you recommend? Thinking about things like power/heat, cost, and performance. Or would you just skip them all and get a Via C3 based board?

Pentium M, definitely.
    The P-M will outperform a Celeron and it's designed for low-power applications, such as laptops.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i chose celeron M, as its just as quick as a pentium M, although it has less cache and no speedstep technology (the ability to go into a deep sleep mode)... but other than that the Celeron M is on par with the Pentium M, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

you cant compare a celeron M to a Pentium M in the same way you compare a Celeron to a P4... the celeron M is based on the exact same chip as a pentium M. Celeron and P4 arent.

Read This....
      2005 Nissan Xtrail
      DFI 855GME-MGF - Celeron M 1.4GHz - 256Mb RAM - 200Gb SATA HDD - OPUS 150w - Xenarc 700TSV

worklog

Comment

Is the additional power savings and performance advantage of the Pentium M worth the cost over a Celeron M in a CarPC?

Is this extra power (performance) really needed in a CarPC?

Comment

Originally posted by jmbickham
          Is the additional power savings and performance advantage of the Pentium M worth the cost over a Celeron M in a CarPC?

Depends on how much you value your money. In my experience the difference is definitly notciable between equally clocked processors.
          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

No and no.
            I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
              Depends on how much you value your money. In my experience the difference is definitly notciable between equally clocked processors.
              has your experience included pentium Ms and celeron Ms?

a celeron M is not to a Pentium M what a Celeron is to a P4.
              2005 Nissan Xtrail
              DFI 855GME-MGF - Celeron M 1.4GHz - 256Mb RAM - 200Gb SATA HDD - OPUS 150w - Xenarc 700TSV

worklog

Comment

Well... someone has posted a place to get a Pentium M/Celeron M mobo for $200 shipped. Pickup a Celeron M for $100... for $300 you have something significantly faster than the Via sp1300 for only about $100 more. It also include wifi onboard and a miniPCI slot (use for bluetooth). Only thing missing is a PC Card slot.

So the argument is really... is the extra performance of an intel chip over Via worth $100? If so... is it worth an extra $100 to get a little more performance and power saving with the Pentium M over the Celeron M?

God of cpu... so there is a noticable difference in performance between a 1.3 Celeron M and a 1.4 Pentium M? As I mentioned above... it's worth $100?

Comment

So the argument is really... is the extra performance of an intel chip over Via worth $100?
                  yes

If so... is it worth an extra $100 to get a little more performance and power saving with the Pentium M over the Celeron M?
                  no
                  2005 Nissan Xtrail

worklog

Comment

Thanks!

Anyone else have something to chime in with?

Oh... what if you are building a quiet, low-power desktop? Pentium M? Celeron M? Pentium 4? VIA VT-310DP? Size target is something like Travla C137 or C138 sized case...

Comment

Originally posted by tja
                      you cant compare a celeron M to a Pentium M in the same way you compare a Celeron to a P4... the celeron M is based on the exact same chip as a pentium M. Celeron and P4 arent.
                      Sure they are. Celerons of a year or two ago were made from the Northwood core, just like the P4s of the time. The current Celeron D is made with the Prescott core, just like current P4s. The differences are parallel: reduced cache, lower bus speed, lower clock speed, and reduced features.

But that is only to nitpick. The point is still valid that a Celeron M is a much better compromise than the Celeron D. The downsides that make it a budget processor (reduced clock speed, reduced battery life) are less important outside of a notebook environment. Yes it will use a little more power, but still much less than any P4 Mobile. And you can't benefit from all of the P-M's power saving features in an environment where it will rarely idle, like in a CarPC that has to play music or display maps. If you all ready have to be prepared for a P-M's worst case power draw, then the fact that you use a few watts less most of the time isn't much of a benefit.

Comment

Thanks!

Anyone else have something to chime in with?

Oh... what if you are building a quiet, low-power desktop? Pentium M? Celeron M? Pentium 4? VIA VT-310DP? Size target is something like Travla C137 or C138 sized case...
                        basics will still be the same, less power requires less active cooling (fans) and less noise.
                        I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Go with the Intel chips over the Via if you want performance. If you want to save a few bucks but want a bit more speed, go Celeron M, if you want true performance and speed, go with the Pentium M. Celeron M comes in clock speeds of 1.2GHz to 1.6GHz, with caches ranging from 512KB to 1MB all with FSB's of 400MHz. The Pentium M comes in clock speeds of 1.5GHz to 2.26GHz, with caches from 1MB to 2MB, and FSB's at 400MHz or 533MHz. If you compare the numbers, the Celeron M is slower than the Pentium M. And if you have ever used a Celeron based CPU and a Pentium based CPU, then you already know that the Celeron is slower. I'm using a Pentium M 730, 1.6GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB Cache on an I-Base MB896F board with 1GB Ram, this thing runs every bit as fast as my 3GHz 1GB Pentium 4 based desktop.

So the real question has already been asked...How much do you value your money? If you have spare change and you want top of the line, get a Pentium M. Get it right the first time, tends to save money in the long run.

Also, you said you were building a "quiet, low power desktop" You can easily achieve that with a Pentium 4 system, which usually tends to be cheaper than trying to build a Pentium M based desktop. Plus parts are more abundant.
                          Don't hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get crappy ideas from!!!

Comment

I own a celeron M 1.6ghz, Pentium M 1.4ghz and a Pentium M 1.7ghz all on micro atx setups. Personally i notice quite a bit of difference between the celeron M and pentium M. The celeron is slower that the Pentium M 1.4ghz and no where close to the speed of the 1.7ghz. If money is an issue i suggest you get the pentium M chip from ebay. I got all my chips for ebay for pretty cheap. The 1.4ghz cost me $25 shipped and the 1.7ghz 533 with 2mb of cache cost me me $101 shipped. Here is a link to a few currently on ebay, but be carefull cause some people list the Pentium 4 m as the Pentium M

Comment

Originally posted by Kalt
                              ...If money is an issue i suggest you get the pentium M chip from ebay. I got all my chips for ebay for pretty cheap. The 1.4ghz cost me $25 shipped and the 1.7ghz 533 with 2mb of cache cost me me $101 shipped...
                              I second that...I bought my Pentium M 730, 1.6GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB cache, from Ebay for $107, shipped to me on the other side of the world. I think this same CPU retails for +/- $200.

Ebay...what would we do without it!
                              Don't hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get crappy ideas from!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X