Did i scre up???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did i scre up???

I have everything hooked up on a power source in the house and i went to start dl windows xp. Soon after i started the install i realized i did not insert my Hard Drive setup disc first. Is this going to mess things up

chad

anybody

Comment

Elaborate a little.

What HD setu disk?? like partition disk or something like that?

Thanatos.
      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

yes

it is the hard drive setup disk that came with the hard drive.....it is to set up the HDD... i assume it is for partioning and stuff but i am not exactly sure. It says to put it in before i install my operating system.

Right now i am having a bigger problem though.....During my installation it just froze up on me. My motherboard fan is still running but nothing is happening on my screen and my mouse will not move. With this being my first windows install i really don't know what to do. If anyone could help me out ASAP i would appreciate it

Comment

You've never built a computer, have you?

1) No, you don't need the setup diskette that came witht he HDD. Unless you're using an old Pentium I (or older), it should recognize whatever HDD you throw at it.
          2) During the installation of Windoze, it asks about formatting the hard drive. Did you choose Quick Format? If so, go back and do it again, but this time delete all partitions and create a new one and don't do a quick format.
          3) How is it hooked up to an indoor power source? Are you using a standard ATX power supply, or what? I recommend using a standard ATX power supply to get Windows installed before you even think about putting in the car. This way you can get the system configured the way you want without having to sit in your car and tweak stuff.

You're not giving anyone a lot of information to help resolve your problem. Details will be much appreciated.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

sorry

no i have never built a computer before. Since my computer is freezing up i turned the power off and I do need to go back to re-install b/c i did choose "quick". Sorry if i am being blunt. I am trying not to be. I am going to finish installing windows and then I will go back and delete it and start all over. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
              You've never built a computer, have you?

1) No, you don't need the setup diskette that came witht he HDD. Unless you're using an old Pentium I (or older), it should recognize whatever HDD you throw at it.
              2) During the installation of Windoze, it asks about formatting the hard drive. Did you choose Quick Format? If so, go back and do it again, but this time delete all partitions and create a new one and don't do a quick format.
              3) How is it hooked up to an indoor power source? Are you using a standard ATX power supply, or what? I recommend using a standard ATX power supply to get Windows installed before you even think about putting in the car. This way you can get the system configured the way you want without having to sit in your car and tweak stuff.

You're not giving anyone a lot of information to help resolve your problem. Details will be much appreciated.

Thanatos.
              RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
              We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

saf

i do have it hooked up to a standard atx power supply. I agree with you and that is why I am trying to get everything installed now so i don't have to mess with it in the car. If you have anny tips for me and others who are building a computer for the first time I would appreciate it .....thanks again and I am sure this will not be my last question

chad

Comment

Understand that making your first PC build the one that you intend to put in your car probably isn't such a smart idea.
                  Keep in mind that you've got some pretty special considerations for installing into a vehicle.

I wouldn't recommend such a project to anyone who hasn't ever built a PC before. You need to know what is what and how it all goes together. You're going to need to be able to troubleshoot that beast at some point.
                  I'm not saying you need to have the experience and education of some of the forum members here to be able to pull it off, but you do need to understand what you're dealing with and how it functions.
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

why is it bad to use "quick" formatting? whats the diff?
                    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

quick formatting only overwrites the old partition table to make the new partitions. Regular formatting writes 0's to the entire new partition, erasing any old data that could interfere with the new installation.
                      My 2002 F250 Install

Comment

actually the difference between a quick and full format is that during a quick format, all files are deleted, and that is all.

during a full format, all files are deleted, and then the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors.

*shrugs*

if the installation hangs, reset and try again. if it hangs again, you may want to download and run memtest86.
                        2005 Nissan Xtrail
                        DFI 855GME-MGF - Celeron M 1.4GHz - 256Mb RAM - 200Gb SATA HDD - OPUS 150w - Xenarc 700TSV

worklog

Comment

Originally posted by tja
                          during a full format, all files are deleted, and then the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors.
                          The big thing is the ScanDisk, like you said. If it locates bad sectors, it will mark them as bad and format around them.
                          A quick format won't do that, so it will try to write on those bad sectors, which can cause problems during the install or later on.

After you format the HDD once with a full format, then using a quick format for a re-install is fine, unless you suspect bad sectors on the HDD.
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

eh

The hard drive disk is used to partition the Hard disk to work with some OS's.. If you have a 80 gig, you'll need the disk to get the full 80 gig under a 16 bit windows installation (win 95, 98) on a P2 or lower system. but under XP you wont need it...

if you have a 160 gig HD it wouldn't matter anyway because XP will not pick up any more than 127 gigs of space unless you have SP2 installed anyway. From there you can repartition it into a seperate drive or use partition magic to put it all into one drive again.

Comment

Working...
                            X