My Start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Start

Ok so i got this laptop from my dad, its and HP Omnibook 900. I have spare pc parts laying around like cd/dvd drive and hard drives. I am wondering how I could hook them up to this laptop. I have a CDRom drive hooked up to it right now through a iso port i think its called. But i would like to be able to have at least 2 drives hooked up to it. Also, I have a Sony XAV-7W in-dash monitor, is there any way I could hook it up to the laptop?

Ok...looking at your existing hardware...this is the best prescription I could think of.

Since your Omnibook has 2 PCMCIA slots and your monitor has a/v inputs the only way to get a signal on this sony monitor is with a pcmcia II video card with tv out. They are hard to find but this is the best I could dig up. (This is the lightest solution.)

http://www.samintl.com/ac/621672.htm

Other than going PCMCIA...just buy a vga to TV/NTSC coverter and use the vga port on the back of the laptop. It's bulkier though and you'll probably need to add additional hardware for power. You can search "vga to rca" or "vga to TV" on google.

Now the above is the hardest solution. The other PCMCIA II slot could be used for USB 2.0 cards so you could attach a cd/dvd-rom caddy or hard drive caddy etc. As for sound, it will depend on your current car stereo.

But i would like to be able to have at least 2 drives hooked up to it.
    Define the drives you're referring to and I can make better recomendation. CD-ROM drive, Hard drive, DVD...???

By the way "ISO" stands for International Organization for Standardization. In other words, it's more of a standards protocol vs. a "technical" protocol. You might mean USB (if the cd-rom is external to the laptop) or if it's internal to the laptop then it's just in a bay connected via a 44 pin ide adapter.

Comment

I Would like to hook up all three drives if possible. A cd, a dvd, and a harddrive.

Here is the current CD Drive I am using to load Windows XP and whatnot.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=80195

As for sound, it will depend on your current car stereo.
      Please explain this more, I dont wanna have the entire project go through and not have any sound.

Thank you so much for all this information. BTW, It has 1 USB slot built into the back, so couldnt i use that for the usb caddy, and use the other pcmcia slot for a sound card.

Comment

Working...
      X