Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I do this circuit?

Hey guys,

Need a bit of help, I've got my carnetix set to 6 seconds shutdown, sometimes I don't want it to shutdown, i.e when getting petrol.

The only switches I have are momentary push to make switches, could I use a relay in a circuit to temporarily allow the carnetix to keep running but then default back to the 6 seconds 'next time'. I've explained this really badly but struggling to say what I'm trying to say.

Or is there a better way of doing this, I'd use a latching switch but would probably forget to switch it off!

Do you have to pull you keys out when you get gas? If not just leave it in ACC.
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

I don't trust people over here, the car will be nicked whilst filling with petrol.

Comment

Some one would steal your car while you are standing there filling it with gas? Might want to move.
        2007 Tahoe
        Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

When I go to pay for it, someone could.

Comment

you have to go inside to pay? Can't use a card at the pump?
            2007 Tahoe

My Install

Comment

Not at all of them, nope, only certain forecourts.

Comment

overide switch on ign line.
                Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

You need a delay timer circuit. When you push the momentary contact switch, it "latches" a relay closed and starts the timer. The relay would bypass your current signal wire to the Carnetix, providing 12 volts even when the car is off.

When the time elapses, it opens the circuit, eliminating the bypass, and the setup has returned to normal. If the car is on, nothing happens (that is, the computer stays on). If the car is off, the signal wire to the Carnetix will have zero voltage and the computer will shut down.

I use Kit number 141 multimode timer for a different task, but it would work for you I think.

You can set the delay time from very short to 1 second to 2550 minutes using the dip switches on the board.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thats what I'm trying to do but use a circuit to only temporarily override it so I don't have to remember to switch it back again.

Thanks BugByte, looks exactly what I am after! Just need to find one now!

Comment

Cheap timer circuit.

I want to do the same thing. I had put in a switch to keep the computer always on that i used when fuelling up but i did the obvious and forgot to turn it off again and flattened the battery, so that switch is banned now.

I was thinking about trying to do it in software, running a program to override the shutdown command before turning off the ignition. But i think hardware will be simpler considering i have no idea how to override shutdown command (other than shutdown -a but thats not goin to do it here).

There are loads of off timer delay relays on rswww.com but they are 20+ so i think i will try and build a little circuit based on this timer chip:
                      http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...0delay&doy=9m1
                      Here is a direct link the the datasheet in pdf. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Media/product_pdfs/qh66.pdf
                      If anyone will take a look and double check what i'm goin to do that would be nice for me.
                      The useful bit is the left hand column of Page 6.

Few questoions:
                      1. I chose a 0.1uF capacitor and 270M ohm resistor to give me a 5 minute delay. Chances of me gettin all the uF and uS in the right places is about 50/50 so wouldn't mind someone double checking that fore me, pretty please.

2. I'm not 100% on this:
                      The circuit triggers on a negative-going input signal when the level reaches 1/3 Vcc.
                      Does that mean I will have to trigger it with -4V if i'm powering it with 12V. Where will i get -4V from . Should i use 5V anyway rather than 12V. and then mayb use -3.3V from the atx connector to trigger it?

I should be able to make this for about 0.75 and i'll put up instructions if it works. That is if you want them.
                      Hardware: MII12000/512MB RAM/250GB HDD/8" touchscreen/slot load dvd/M1-ATX, 802.11g/bluetooth
                      Software: Road Runner, Map Monkey

Working on: reliablility!

Comment

Ok, i've found plenty of info now! http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm#monostable
                        http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html
                        There are quite a lot of posts asking about this topic.
                        I think a how-to would be worth it, what does anyone else think?
                        Hardware: MII12000/512MB RAM/250GB HDD/8" touchscreen/slot load dvd/M1-ATX, 802.11g/bluetooth

Comment

so here, im going to try to explain this. who knows if anyone will understand.

when the IGN line recieves 12 v. it turns and keeps the psu on. when 12 v is lost, it starts the shutdown procedure. all you need is a SPDt switch (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ntPage=family). on the left, put the ign from the car, in the middle(common)put the line going to the psu, and on the right, put a constant 12 v. line.

that should do it for you.

just remember to switch it back after you have it skip the shutdown timer. otherwise your looking at dead batteries
                          1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                          Pictures
                          Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by seanz0rz
                            so here, im going to try to explain this. who knows if anyone will understand.

when the IGN line recieves 12 v. it turns and keeps the psu on. when 12 v is lost, it starts the shutdown procedure. all you need is a SPDt switch (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ntPage=family). on the left, put the ign from the car, in the middle(common)put the line going to the psu, and on the right, put a constant 12 v. line.

that should do it for you.

just remember to switch it back after you have it skip the shutdown timer. otherwise your looking at dead batteries
                            I've done that, and flattened my battery, hence the need for a timer

Comment

I built a switch for my computer that helps me with this. First, i have a master power switch on the battery power. This way, if it locks up, i can turn it off. next i have a switch that goes between, normal ignition power, and battery power, for the yellow ignition input on my Opus. This way, during normal operation, the ignition goes on or off and turns the car computer on or off, but when i get gas i flip the switch to battery power and it stays on even after the ignition turns off.
                              Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

Comment

Working...
                              X