Kingston 2gb CF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingston 2gb CF

I recently got my hands on a Kingston 2GB CF card. I can't seem to find a way to make it a "FIXED DISK" type in my IDE to CF. Know matter how I format it shows up as Removable. I've been following Sfiorito's embedded XP installs and can't get my CF to boot at all.

Anyone know if this is possible with a Kingston CF or do I have to get a special CF that is already set to Fixed?

no, it's not an issue of whether it's fixed or not. but there are cards out there that don't work. have you at least been able to boot into DOS with it? what CF-IDE adapter are you using?
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

That's where I keep getting stuck. I follow your instructions and I try to reboot into dos but computer just hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data..."

Comment

The CF to IDE adapter is the CCM01 that came with my MII12000

Comment

you mean the built in PCMCIA/CF reader? you can't use that to boot. there was an effort to boot Linux and WinCE with it, but last I checked it couldn't boot anything else.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
          VoomPC 2

Comment

hey Sfiorita

I know you recommend the SanDisk Ultra II CF, but which CF to IDE adapter is best. I took a look at www.mini-box.com, but can't find a difference between most of them. I would like to know which is the best.
            http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.14/.f

Thnx for the great write-up by the way

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
            CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
            Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Not the Built in one. It also came with an CF to IDE card adapter that was mounted to the underside of the CDRW drive when I purchased my Travla 158.

Comment

Ramy: any of those mini-box adapters or from logicsupply will be good to go.

RJP: not sure what to tell you. could be that the CF card doesn't implement full IDE functionality maybe. your best bet is to go with SanDisk UltraII or ExtremeI cards.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                VoomPC 2

Comment

Thanks just placed an order for my 2GB Ultra II

Comment

hmmm... why do you prefer UltraII and not ExtremeIII instead? I thought UltraII is 66x and ExtremeIII 133x for both writes and reads?

Comment

well, the whole "fixed" vs "removable" issue with ExtremeIII cards can be a problem in the long run. you can use hibernation and/or standby on a "fixed" drive like the UltraII or ExtremeI, whereas on the ExtremeIII you cannot.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                      VoomPC 2

Comment

Well I got good news and bad news....

Good News.... I just picked up a 2 GB Ultra II and it worked perfectly booting into DOS. Now I can Continue.

Bad News... Now I got a 2GB Kingston CF that I guess I'll have to use as extra storage space.... I guess we can add Kingston to the list of what not to buy for this purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by RJP350Z
                          Good News.... I just picked up a 2 GB Ultra II and it worked perfectly booting into DOS. Now I can Continue.
                          How much for the Ultra II 2GB.
                          sorry for the kingston CF

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
                          CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                          Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito
                            well, the whole "fixed" vs "removable" issue with ExtremeIII cards can be a problem in the long run. you can use hibernation and/or standby on a "fixed" drive like the UltraII or ExtremeI, whereas on the ExtremeIII you cannot.
                            Strange thing is no matter what I try my 1GB UltraII appears as "removable" device. From this reason I do not see the point to preffer UltraII over ExtremeIII unless someone can help me to fix it. Despite the CF beeing "removable" I still can install Windows on top of it just like I would normally do onto HDD. However, I discovered during last few days that I can NOT install .NET framework on my CF card as its installation always end up with "insert source disc" message no matter where I try to install it from. I still can install it normally on same system but with HDD instead of CF. So far I only found .NET framework to misbehave this way, otherwise it works well despite the fact UltraII is "removable".
                            Now my question is - how do I set UltraII to fixed disk state?
                            If my UltraII in "removable" stage mostly works for the purpose (except the f&$^g .NET framework installation) why the ExtremeIII would not work?

Comment

Hmmm.... I woder - could I solve the mistery of .NET just by using XPE component instead - I mean is there a way to extract the files and registry entries file from .NET XPE component and import them to regular XP install?

Comment

Working...
                              X