Cool your PC with cooking oil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool your PC with cooking oil?

Tom's hardware have tried running a PC with no fans submerged in cooling oil for cooling purposes with good results. In fact they suggest at the end that motor oil could be used as well.

I can see it now, your carPC being cooled by your cars oil

link
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Originally posted by meddler
    Tom's hardware have tried running a PC with no fans submerged in cooling oil for cooling purposes with good results. In fact they suggest at the end that motor oil could be used as well.

link
    Uhh...cooled by your cars oil? Might want to read up on how engines work...

Hint: the oil isn't going to be cold, cool, or anywhere near it...

Neat link nonetheless

Comment

you might as well just put your PC directly in your engine bay, while you're at it, why not stick it right above your exhaust manifold
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by dmurray14
        Uhh...cooled by your cars oil? Might want to read up on how engines work...

Hint: the oil isn't going to be cold, cool, or anywhere near it...

Neat link nonetheless
        I think I know how engines and their lubrication and cooling systems work. I know that oil isn't cold. Just the fact that a PC can be cooled in oil shows that there are possibilities that were thought to be rediculous, but they can work. It doesn't mean that it will be done on a large scale or at all for that matter.

BTW, have you ever heard of an oil cooler?

Comment

still, the average temp of an engine is well above 200F. if you introduce that temp oil into your computer system, it will kill your processor, not to mention melt the insulation from the wires.

HOWEVER, if you put your carpc into motor oil, not having anything to do with the engine of the car, other than it shares the same viscosity, then you could have an amazingly cool computer.
          1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
          Pictures
          Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

I think I know how engines and their lubrication and cooling systems work. I know that oil isn't cold. Just the fact that a PC can be cooled in oil shows that there are possibilities that were thought to be rediculous, but they can work. It doesn't mean that it will be done on a large scale or at all for that matter.

BTW, have you ever heard of an oil cooler?
            Oh come on, Oil cooler not refrigerator. The oil still will not be cool enough.

Comment

One word
              (ok 3 excluding this one line)

ICK
              MORE COWBELL.

Comment

Originally posted by dmurray14
                Oh come on, Oil cooler not refrigerator. The oil still will not be cool enough.
                see this little guy? My interpretation of this smiley means nutz, crazy. That's why I put it at the end of my statement about using the oil system in a car. I said it as a sarcastic comment.

Not to get into a ****ing contest, but seeing as though people want to argue the point. It "would" be possible to use the engine oiling system. If you had enough time and money you can do just about anything. If I told you about running a PC in oil before you read the article and seeing the vids, you probably wouldn't have believed me that it was possible. You could use a peltier cooler as an example. Liquid nitrogen could be used also. I used an oil cooler as an example. If you had oil cooler big enough it would cool the oil enough. Just because it is possible, I am not saying you would do it.

As I saw in a documentary about a road registered jet power motorcycle (the Y2K, Jay Leno actually has one). The interviewer asked the designer of the bike, "Why would you do it?" and the answer was "Because we can!". The same goes for oil cooling a PC. Why would you do it?

I put this link up as an interesting article for people to read. Please remember that. I put the sarcastic comment at the end of my first post for a bit of fun. I didn't put it there to get into a discussion about whether a engine oiling system could sucessfully cool a PC enough. Maybe I should have clarified that in the first post.

Comment

i would oil cool my carpc because it would stay alot cooler in the summer time. problem is the part that actually malfucntions in summer car heat is the hd, which has to be kept out of the oil.
                  1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                  Pictures
                  Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Believe it or not, it's already been discussed and is part of the FAQ's on cooling your system. Here..
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I read an article years ago on using mineral oil to cool a PC that was being overclocked.
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

In deep water applications, we fill our electronics with oil, so that they can be pressurized. Its a messy job, everything you touch is oily and hard to clean. Not something I would do without a very good reason.

Comment

Interesting idea, can you make fries too?
                          ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                          Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                          All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                          Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(")

Comment

yeh gives new meaning to the word chips!
                            2005 Nissan Xtrail
                            DFI 855GME-MGF - Celeron M 1.4GHz - 256Mb RAM - 200Gb SATA HDD - OPUS 150w - Xenarc 700TSV

worklog

Comment

LOL would you like fries with that.
                              CAR INFO HERE
                              "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Comment

Working...
                              X