Sirrus satellite questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sirrus satellite questions

Ok I have been a member for over a year and have a nice carpc in my 330i bmw. I want to implement a Sirrus satellite radio setup into it. Is there a recommended model and what software is everyone using? Is there a url to a how-to somewhere as I do not know how to integrate it to my current system.

I'd like one too, for the FAQ Emporium. This question has come up a few times. Anyone care to share?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I have Sirius hooked up to my carPC for about 10 months now. I used this interface:
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59659

I purchased the Eclipse Sat tuner that goes with my H/U but I did not hook it up to my H/U directly. Instead with the interface above I hooked it up to my carputer.

You do not need the Eclipse Sat tuner it just matches my H/U you can go and buy the much less expensive one (I think it was an Alpine errr or Kenwood) on the link above.

If you open the tuner it is actually 2 circut boards. You remove the lower half (keep it for if you ever want to connect to a H/U) and replace it with the interface above. Takes about 2 mins to install. Sometimes the holes where the normal cables do not line up, I just dremeled the exsisting hole to make them wider, this is the metal case of the Sat Reciever. Next there is a serial connector that goes from the interface to your Carputer to control it.

You need to power the interface, just plug the red wire from the interface to a free molex 12v connector on you carputer power supply, it draws VERY little power. I used the optical connection from the interface to my Audigy 2NX for clear sound.

Software is RoadRunner it has all the station art and a direct integration to Sirius. This gives you a BIG screen of the stations which NO other unit can offer other than a carPC, you can set up favorites etc.

I showed this setup to the owner of a local car stereo shop and he went nuts! He actually asked if he could sell it at his shop. .. that's another story for another day.

Not a single problem to date and from +35 to -20 degree temps.
      Attached Files
      2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
      2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
      Sound Stage
      Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

It looks like I need these:

SIR-ALP1 SiriusConnect for Alpine
        Model: SIR-ALP1
        Price: $99.99

Sirius TM to RS232 Interface
        With Digital Optical Out
        Pricing is $59.00 + $6.00 Shipping & Handling (+ 6% PA Sales Tax if in PA)

And if I want USB instead of of rs232 I need run my ODBII on rs232):
        USB-COM-S
        or
        Larry's USB Serial Adaptor / Converter

Comment

depending on your motherboard(i have a mII 12000), you should have a header pin set for a com2 port which is another serial port, this way you could have your obdII and sirius hooked to rs232. thus not needing a usb/serial cable converter. but you will have to get the header cable though. this is what i will do when the time comes.
          "I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I know so!!!!" Now I'm here!!

By "ToneRiddle"

Comment

As ZIP stated I too am using Mitch's RS232 boards and it is solid. No problems at all. If you want to run a USB to serial adapter be sure and check out his web site for some recommended adapters.http://rush2112.net/
            Heres a few pics of the product.

Below is the Tuner with Mitch's board installed.

Below is the original Alpine tuner.

Comment

Is it only optical out? I have a via sp13K, so optical in is not an option. Can this just be hooked up to my line in? or better yet, does it appear as an audio device?
              The later is just dreaming right?

Comment

its both OPTICAL and plain jane Analog!

mitch

thanks GUYS!!!!

mitch
                -Thanks
                Mitch
                www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
                May healing waters bury all my pain
                Wind, Carry me home
                The fabric of reality is tearing apart
                The piece of me that died
                Will return To live again

Comment

Can this work with the other SIR devices like the SIR-PNR1? They all seem to be the same, just for different head units. There's a SIR-KEN1 for kenwood, the PNR1 for pioneer etc..
                  Can this work with the others?
                  Thanks

Comment

Question;

The stock ALP has a pass through so you don't lose the aux in on the HU, does your product support this feature. My brother will be going analog out from a MI10000 in to his HU via aux in or in Alpines case Ai-net. With the stock ALP receiver it goes PC->Alp->HU.

After looking over your pictures I see you have the RS-232 and 1/8 audio jack combine in to a din connector. Do alpine HUs have optical in?
                    "i provide a cable, or you can use ur own on the optical jack
                    that jack is both optical and analog"
                    huh I had never seen a optical and analog jack that looked like that. Do I just use a 1/8 plug for analog out?

Is the red accessory wire you include needed if connecting to a head unit? I notice that the stock ALP1 does not have an accs wire.

Comment

I'm confused by your question, SilentBob.

How do you want to connect this unit? If you don't want audio or control going through the computer, you might as well use the Alpine reciever as-is and go through AINet. Otherwise get Mitch's board and connect to your computer via Serial and audio, and use the computer as the pass-through for audio to the headunit.

Many newer laptops and some devices will use an analog/optical 1/8" jack, they're pretty common. It has the optical LED at the end of the shaft and there's a little adapter you can get to adapt standard TOSLINK cables to it. When you plug in analog, you just aren't using the optical connection, and vice versa.

The 'red' accessory wire i'm assuming is for the turn-on signal to the Sirius unit. In it's standard configuration, AINet would take care of the on/off signal. As you wouldn't be using the AINet connection with mitch's board, you use the ACC wire to hook up to a switched 12v source (Ignition, ACC on the car) to turn on the Sirius unit

Comment

if you are already using Mitchs interface you need to try Alexs app
                        at http://www.rush2112.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=142

but the latest version is in this post
                        http://www.rush2112.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=144
                        the last one listed .. SiriusRecorder-1.2.zip
                        as of the time of this post

it is not really written for the car but could easily be used in the car

..Dale
                        ..Dale
                        cutesy tag line

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
                          I'm confused by your question, SilentBob.

How do you want to connect this unit? If you don't want audio or control going through the computer, you might as well use the Alpine reciever as-is and go through AINet. Otherwise get Mitch's board and connect to your computer via Serial and audio, and use the computer as the pass-through for audio to the headunit.

Many newer laptops and some devices will use an analog/optical 1/8" jack, they're pretty common. It has the optical LED at the end of the shaft and there's a little adapter you can get to adapt standard TOSLINK cables to it. When you plug in analog, you just aren't using the optical connection, and vice versa.

The 'red' accessory wire i'm assuming is for the turn-on signal to the Sirius unit. In it's standard configuration, AINet would take care of the on/off signal. As you wouldn't be using the AINet connection with mitch's board, you use the ACC wire to hook up to a switched 12v source (Ignition, ACC on the car) to turn on the Sirius unit
                          We are looking to use this with a Car PC and HU and have the PC control stations. Looking at the RS232 interface board it looks like the input is for both the RS232 and audio in, page 7 of the install PDF. Then go out via the optical/analog jack to the HU via Ai-net adapter.

You are correct that we could simply use the standard sirius box, but we thought it would be nice to have a large display for the sirius radio. The reason for the headunit is for AM/FM/CD, Car Pc will be under the passenger seat, and provide power to the speakers. Doesn't want to go with amps and they would be overkill for his stock speakers.

Comment

Working...
                          X