Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium M CPU Heatsink or Fan?

Het guys,

Turns out they don't ship the heat sink or CPU fan with Pentium M processors even though the web site stores all say that it comes with a fan or a heatsink.

So....I have to get the credit card out again. Newegg has a CPU fan that is only 25 dBA and they have a heat sink.

What have you guys been running? Anyone have a preference or recommendation that they want to share?
    8" Lilli TS
    MB896F Mini-ITX MB
    2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
    1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
    Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
    ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
    Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
    Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
    3COM BKP Cam

I wouldn't recommend running it without a heatsink/fan unit.
    That goes doubly so in a car where it's going to get extremely warm inside when parked on a sunny summer day.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

No, absolutely don't run it without a heat sink and fan, but I don't think that's what he was asking about

The products you linked to look like they'll do nicely.

Comment

Whether or not you need a fan will depend entirely on the airflow inside your case. If you've got good airflow arround the CPU, you should be ok with a passive heatsink. If you are unsure, get a heatsink with a fan.

-g.

Comment

You can get that heatsink + a fan direct from Dynatron for around $26.50 (cheaper than what Newegg is charging for just the sink). I highly recommend it! E-mail them.
          Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

Comment

Wicked,

Newegg is asking $19.99 for their heat sink with a fan.

Most of what I have read says the Pentium M needs very little to cool it, which is why I was looking for opinions as to which way to go before I place my order. BUt I'm with you guys in that in a car environment and fan is probably the only way to go. Thanks for your opinions!
            8" Lilli TS
            MB896F Mini-ITX MB
            1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
            Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
            3COM BKP Cam

Comment

I ordered the Heatsink/Fan and some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal grease.

Thanks, guys. I'm stoked to get building!
              8" Lilli TS
              MB896F Mini-ITX MB
              1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
              Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
              3COM BKP Cam

Comment

Pent. M Heatsink for MB896

This board has space for a 50mm x 50mm heatsink with 41mm mounting hole pattern. I was put off by the price on the web for the few that met this criteria. So off to the computer surplus store and found a heatsink/fan assy for $6 that is 50x50mm with nice deep fins. Then drilled and tapped 4-40 mounting holes. Used 4-40x3/8 screws and carefully installed with h/s compund. Will RTV the screw heads before final assembly.

Anyway, the P M 1.4Ghz hardly gets above room temp with the fan running all of the time; so have set up the BIOS to cycle the fan a 35C.

Neil
                neilhart
                aka Neil
                My Domain is www.sfba-corvette.com check it out!

Comment

I had problems finding a heatsink for my project so I had to make my own. Had a P4 heatsink with a 3000 RPM fan laying around that I modified. Works fine for me...

Click image for larger version

Name:	pmcool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	2249671Click image for larger version

Name:	dfi01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2249672
                  Indash 7" / Travla C138 / Opus 120 / DFI G5M100 / Pentium-M 1.8Ghz / 1 GB RAM / 80GB 2,5" /
                  Slim DVD+/- writer / Garmin OEM15L-W GPS / Audigy2 NX / Cinergy 600 / SMC 108Mbps

Comment

Good work backspace.

I was prepared to do just that if I had not found a 50mm one at the surplus store. I was really turned off with the cost on the WEB plus transportation; I was going to pay in excess of $30!

Neil
                    neilhart
                    aka Neil
                    My Domain is www.sfba-corvette.com check it out!

Comment

Dynatron I32- steal

i just ordered one straight from Dynatron.....$15plus shipping. just emailed them, (thanks wicked)
                      MY CARPC

Comment

I am going to run my MB896 with this passive heatsink only

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835114032

I believe my install will be fine without a fan. I have been running even the PSU without a fan and it has been just fine.

Fanless install
                        2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Originally posted by mbkowns

I believe my install will be fine without a fan. I have been running even the PSU without a fan and it has been just fine.

Fanless install
                          I think you'll have thermal problems in short order.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by mbkowns

Fanless install
                            I did the same with my pentium M on an AOpen i855GMEm and i wont recommend it. It ran fine under no load but as soon as i started a few carpc related tasks the temp went from 35c to 75c. This happened in my room were the temp was about 76f, so you can only imagine what could happpen in a hot car.

Comment

What processor did you use?
                              2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Working...
                              X