SP13000 advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP13000 advice needed

I was thinking of getting the M10000, but see that the SP13000 has 30% more processing power @ 1.3GHz.

Moreover it has a total of 8 usb ports instead of 4 in the M10000, and i'd be using alot of these.

My questions here are:

1) Are all those USB ports efficient enough to be all used at the same time (instead to using an extra hub with the M10000).

2) Does the M10000 have any advantages over the SP13000 (other than the ones metioned in the spec tables).

3) Does anybody have technical issues with the SP13000.

4) One last question... does the SP13000 come with all the on-board usb extension cables in the package or do i have to buy them separately

sorry for all the ques, but i live 14,000 km away, and don't want to get the wrong stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
    CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
    Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

SP13000 vs. M10000

I've got both the SP13000 and the M10000. I replaced the 10000 as my home automation computer and the 10000 is now going into my rig. The reason I replaced the 10000 was because I thought my 10000 went bad, but it turned out to be a bad Morex DC-DC power supply (caps were leaking).

Originally posted by ramy_zohair
    I was thinking of getting the M10000, but see that the SP13000 has 30% more processing power @ 1.3GHz.
    Yep, it's a bit more speedy. The difference is noticeable, but not by leaps and bounds for most tasks.

1) Are all those USB ports efficient enough to be all used at the same time (instead to using an extra hub with the M10000).
    I've used 4 of the ports, plus another 4 off of a hub without any problem. Gyration keyboard/mouse, home automation X10 controller, touchscreen, caller ID interface, IR tranceiver, RF receiver, UPS interface, Wi-Fi, and USB key drive all connected at once. Note this is my home automation computer with an 80 watt DC-DC power supply and one powered hub for two of the devices.

2) Does the M10000 have any advantages over the SP13000 (other than the ones metioned in the spec tables).
    Not much that I can think of, but my 13000 has been running for 5 weeks without a reboot. Reliability in my case seems to be top-notch. I think the SP13000 will do 800x480 native with the latest BIOS, whereas the M10000 is questionable about that.

3) Does anybody have technical issues with the SP13000.
    None in my experience. I've seen a few people on Via arena complain about picture quality in resolutions greater than 1024x768 using the VGA output (versus LVDS). VIA's technical support is reportedly not very good, so that's something maybe to consider.

4) One last question... does the SP13000 come with all the on-board usb extension cables in the package or do i have to buy them separately.
    No, cables for the extra USB ports are not included. Most case manufacturers supply cables for the external ports that are available on the particular case. The cables can be found easily on the internet though.

I'm very happy with the SP13000. My 10000 would lock up a lot, but I think it was the power supply. I'm sure the 13000 will generate more heat than the 10000, so that's something to consider in a car environment, but they're specced pretty high as far as PC's go and will run reliably with CPU temps above 60C.

Good Luck

=caduceus=

(Finished purchasing gear for my system....installation next)

Epia M10000 / M1-ATX / Ampie case / MTSVO-SC / Alpine CDA-9851 HU

Comment

Oh my god Didn't expect to get all those answered so beautifully from one post.

I know about the resolution thing. 800 X 480 can be done through the BIOS update (as I read from a thread). I don't really care about higher resolutions as i'll be using the 7" Xenarc.

One last question, will the motherboard support 1GB of PC3200 ram. It doesn't seem that a lot of people use 1GB. I think RAM is the most important part of the system, and is usually underratted over here on the forums.

Anyways thanks for the nice reply, i'll be waiting for more if anybody else would like to add, any criticisims of the board.

Final Touches

CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
      Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Yes, the 13000 will take a gig, no problem. There is only one RAM slot.

=caduceus=

(Finished purchasing gear for my system....installation next)

Epia M10000 / M1-ATX / Ampie case / MTSVO-SC / Alpine CDA-9851 HU

Comment

Everything Caduceus said is right on except I question the heat generation. I don't know about the M10000, but the SP13000 uses a very efficient processor and it doesn't draw a lot of current. I have the same mobo but the 800 MHz fanless version and it only draws about 1.6A (~20Watts) while running from a laptop drive. The 13000 will draw a little more than that. Heat generated is a function of power consumed so I think you'll find it even better than suggested. I am running with 1GB RAM.
          ~Jimmy

Comment

thanks alot guys...
            SP13000 it will be

Final Touches

Comment

Heat issues...

I think Jimmy is right in that the CPU is probably more efficient in the SP13000. It does run hotter than the M10000 though...I measured the temps using the same setup on both machines. Probably due to the faster clock cycle.

HOWEVER, my sense after using the 10000 for a year, and the 13000 for two months, is that the SP13000 is MUCH MUCH more temperature tolerant than the M10000. My 10000 would sometimes get up to the mid 70C's and would buckle up during sustained processor or hard drive intensive activity (hard drives generate heat too). I haven't had a single lockup or hiccup with the 13000....it's rock solid.

The 10000 has some DMA issues that have been well discussed on VIA arena too. They can lead to lockups with USB and hard drive access in certain situations.

I think it's possible to underclock the 13000 through software, if heat became an issue. Never tried it though. Ramy, I'm sure you have good air conditioning in cars in the UAE anyway.

I don't think you can lose with the SP13000. You get more for your money, and a board that's two generations beyond the M10000.

=caduceus=

Comment

Originally posted by caduceus
                Ramy, I'm sure you have good air conditioning in cars in the UAE anyway.
                =caduceus=
                well, it can get to 55 C in the shade in summer, 80 C in the sun, imagine what would be the temperature in a trunk of a car parked in the sun
                Thank god my air conditioning works fine, but i don't think it gets to the trunk.

Anyways, I think I'll be going with SP13000, and see what happens.

Since you've been doin some temp. measurements, do you know about a 1 Ghz AMD Duron processor. (heat & power wise). I can get those for quite cheap over here. around 50$ (with a motherboard - built in everything), Its a tax free country That's in case I trash the SP13000, it is difficult to keep on ordering stuff from across the world every time

Final Touches

Comment

1GHz Duron

No idea about temps for the Duron. I'm sure that power and cooling requirements are much higher for an AMD system, and surely less temperature tolerant than an Epia. I'm sure a larger motherboard would draw more power than a mini-ITX system also.

You can get by with 2-40mm fans (one for CPU and one for case) usually with an Epia board like the SP130000...maybe three in a real hot environment. My guess is with a standard PC board, you need more and/or larger fans, meaning even more power required. And unless you have onboard sound/video, you need to install cards for those as well.

Probably someone else here knows more about these issues in a car setting. Check some old postings maybe?

=caduceus=

Comment

Best would be a Pentium M mini-ITX mobo, a second hand 1-1.4 ghz pentium M (Not a Celeron M, they can't auto adjust speed).

Then you undervolt the baby (1.1V vs 1.4V origin is achievable), and you should be able to have a SP13k-like power consumption.

Even with a 1.1 ghz pentium M, you'll have roughly twice the computing power of a Sp13k, for the same power. Cons is the price, you'll pay more than a spk13k for a Pentium M mobo, processor not included (and there are mini-tix Pentium M mobos with AGP or PCIe16 slot, too).

Sp13k is still very good choice.
                    Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Working...
                    X