possible carputer in-dash?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible carputer in-dash?

anyone have any opinions or experience on this mini computer and installing it in the dash?
    http://www.voodoopc.com/system/quote...productID=1088

It's expensive. You'd need to replace their power supply with a DC-DC unit that might not fit in their pretty case.

You can build a comparable sustem using a mini-ITX P4-M board for a lot less money.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

what about this one, it isnt too expensive, and it's all in a nice tidy case that can fit probably in a dash for front loading dvd's/cd's.
      http://www.jetta.com/mini915B.htm

Comment

sorry but that can't even be taken seriously. Did you check their quotes? What DarquePervert said, goes for all little tidy pc's like that. They are going to be way to expensive, and will most likely not fit aftermarket dc-dc psu. and imo comparable is an understatement
        REBUILDING!!

Comment

Actually, the aftermarket DC-Dc PSUs like the Carnetix units will power these just fine. That's what they are made for.
          My point is simply that the bang for the buck simply isn't there. The second unit is about the same as the first as far as performance goes. You're not paying the premium of the 'boutique PC' that voodoo will charge you (nothing against VoodooPC. Their systems are great, the paint is flawless, but it's not a good value), but the Pentium-M systems are just pricier than the performance you get from them.
          How about the Wiki?

Comment

edit my post seemed a bit hostile, my prior post may have been improperly worded, by 'fit' i mean physically fit in the case.
            REBUILDING!!

Comment

sorry im a newb

i didnt think that it was that expensive of a computer for around $700, it seemed in the newb faq that most people spent the same or more on their carputer with a slower cpu and most of those carputers cant fit in the dash for convient media input of cd/dvd. i mean it's a full computer, no tinkering, hoping parts work together, i just was interested in if a P1900 would handle it. i know a touchscreen lcd is about $300 so i think for $1200 with a screen, this would be a nice package, even it it doesnt fit in the dash, but it is like 7inches by 7 inches, that's pretty small, even with an external power source.

Comment

What i am saying is that it might be inconveinent to get such a small neat tidy pc, and then not be able to mount a dc - dc power supply in it. Since it for sure uses an inline block
                REBUILDING!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonknell911
                  What i am saying is that it might be inconveinent to get such a small neat tidy pc, and then not be able to mount a dc - dc power supply in it. Since it for sure uses an inline block

ok i see, but dont they make external dc dc converters or something? sorry, once again, i'm a newb.

Comment

Inferno, to answer your most basic question - yes, this would fit inside your dash very well. In terms of powering, the others raised some good issues. What type of car are you installing in?

Many cars have tons of room in the dashes, so mounting an external DC-DC is not a problem. Also, I'm fairly surprised that they didn't make mention of using an inverter. Cheap ($30 or less), and very easy to hook up, they are an inexpensive way to get up and running. Grounded properly, you shouldn't have any problems at all with an inverter. You just plug in the normal household power plug that comes with those carputers into the inverter and that's it.

I'd direct you to look into what the Mac guys are doing here on the forums to power their mini macs or whatever the hell they are. Basically the mac version of the PCs you linked here. You may find more answers there in terms of how to power the machine, or some ppl reading this thread might be able to chime in with how those Mac's are powered.

Bottom line - Spend your money on a nice carputer that will last you a long time now. Buying an inverter will work like a charm, and you can always upgrade later to a more expensive dc-dc system when your funds permit. Also, you could look in the for sale section for used dc-dc systems that are great buys, to save money. Regardless of what ppl say around here, there are a lot of us, including me, that have used inverters without problems.
                    www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

well they arent exactly external, but i suppose the opus could be used as an external psu. its just not small. There are other dc-dc psu's which could be used externally, you would just need a project box (from radioshack) or something to that extent. I just dont see the point of getting a small case inwhich a psu wouldnt fit, im not sure how easy placing one behind the case/dash would be. Given i've never tried i cant really comment on that. Good luck though

edit: PS snyperbob posted while i was posting this

to snyperbob; why spend 1200$ on a computer/monitor combo, and then stop short and buy an inverter?
                      REBUILDING!!

Comment

Also, once you buy the carpc, then you'll want to start looking at your power options. There may be more room inside the case than you originally thought (or less room). In any regards, I'm sure one of these would work great:
                        PicoPSU
                        www.mobile-effects.com

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonknell911
                          to snyperbob; why spend 1200$ on a computer/monitor combo, and then stop short and buy an inverter?
                          Good question, but where do you draw the line. Some people actually only have $1200 to spend and not $1300+.

If you are going to say comments like that - why don't you direct him not stop short and to spend $1699 and buy a $treetDeck system. Essentially that has everything he needs, all in a complete package. $treetDeck comes with all the software that you need - the other systems linked didn't mention Operating Systems, etc....

How much does Windoze co$t?
                          www.mobile-effects.com

Comment

Thanks guys, i do appreciate all the input you have given me.

Comment

We're here to help. Sometimes the help means bringing up avenues and situations you hadn't originally considered. It's not that we're trying to dis your project, just make you think about it from another perspective.

Can ya feel the love?
                              How about the Wiki?

Comment

Working...
                              X